Was Homer correct that the mere presence of a sword is incitement to violence?

Was Homer correct that the mere presence of a sword is incitement to violence?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=40-jeectGKQ
youtube.com/watch?v=Huf2Kz7bV2k
youtube.com/watch?v=jyyS6NzYTBA
youtube.com/watch?v=u4vlVEigntQ
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_libel
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_child_saints
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Weishaupt
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sol_Invictus
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renaissance_magic
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supreme_Court_(Israel)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Out-of-place_artifact
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riwat
totalwar.wikia.com/wiki/Loading_Screen_Quotes_(Rome:_Total_War)
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

t. cuck of 850 BC

Yes, people are scared of being mangled so they don't fuck with mother fuckers that carry swords around.

Does the mere presence of fists incite violence?

If no, but the sword yes, how the fuck are they different. You might say that fists aren't made for killing, but blades aren't all for stabbing a nigger with.

If we had a world with no weapons, the group with the strongest fists would use violence to quell the others.

Homer was a fucking retard.

Is this the Burger level of discourse? Pulling a quote out of it's context and discussing it's merits?

No. The guy was a fucking pedo why the fuck would you listen to him?

How is that relevant? Just because some is a pedo doesn't mean they're wrong about everything.

That's not what 'incitement' means. Good effort though, huemigo.

>armed populace lead to democracy
>homer: "swords are evil!"
homer confirmed for modern leftist

That's inciting my blade to violence.

u dumb fuck, fist itself isn't tool of violence, you probably used your fist to wanking more times than fighting or even threatening someone. Sword is different, it's a tool of violence and nothing else. Even spear is more peaceful, at least it was used in hunting

>he has a sword
>that means he's going to attack me

Well if that's the case, then, you're pretty much screwed. If only you had a means of self defense, maybe your own sword?

>there is never a justification for violence

yeah nah Homer

sometimes violence is the answer

youtube.com/watch?v=40-jeectGKQ

youtube.com/watch?v=Huf2Kz7bV2k

youtube.com/watch?v=jyyS6NzYTBA

youtube.com/watch?v=u4vlVEigntQ

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_libel

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_child_saints

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Weishaupt

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sol_Invictus

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renaissance_magic

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supreme_Court_(Israel)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Out-of-place_artifact

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riwat

A fist is natural a sword is a physical manifestation of violence. The point is that people are quick to anger and prone to taking the easy way out which the sword represents

Yes. A tool that is designed for a singular purpose, that purpose being the harm of others, will incite fear and authority, no matter the situation.
Even if you're with close friends but one carries a handgun, everybody else will hold in the back of their minds, that this man can end your life in an instant. What if he gets too drunk and starts waving it around? What if he's easily excitable, or hasn't had experience and pulls it when not necessary?

That being said however, men are naturally inclined to violence. If you take away our tools for harm then we'll just improvise, and if it becomes dire, use any mean necessary, meaning tooth and nail.

What do you use your sword for retard?

It isnt the sword Per se but the options and thoughts being armed open up. It isn't a criticism of violence it is a criticism of humans who wield and created weapons in the first place.

Yeah it does. Its a well known fact that pedos are mentally imbalanced.

He says blade, seems like he isn't specifying if it's a sword or some other bladed instrument.

And even then, a sword can be used for cutting things other than humans. Take for instance the Kukri, it can be used to chop fucking wood.

A tool's use is only limited by the ideas in the human mind.

Anyway, you missed the point, which was anything can be used for violence, and people will find a way to murder each other for gain or revenge or what have you.

It's not the Zyklon's fault Sup Forums wants to gas the kikes for instance.

Chortle some dicks you intellectual manlet.

You can fuck someone up pretty good with a stick or a rock, or even just your fists, we're surrounded constantly by "weapons." Pretty much every weapon is the result of a progression from those original fights to get a leg up on the other guy. You're going to have to unmake existence if you want to make using violence a non-viable way to achieve some end you desire.

Whatever a sharp item can be used for.

If I were to put a sticker on my car saying, "For murdering people only," would I suddenly feel the urge to run over as many pedestrians as possible?

Or if I had a gun on me, would the gun speak to me, "user, kill theeeeem, kill them allllll anoooooooonnnn?"

of course it does

there are countless incidents of shootings that would have likely never escalated to lethal incidents otherwise

see; America

>guns cause mass shootings
American education, everybody

Just move to France, cuck

You do realize that having guns doesn't correlate to more violent crime, right?

People find a way to hurt each other, it's just in America, even if you're skinny and frail, you can take down the strongest of attackers.

An armed society is a polite society.

Swords are more specifically for killing humans than guns are, or even other weapons of Homer's day. Have you ever heard of someone hunting with a sword? Bows were used for hunting as well as war, and axes obviously have their own use outside of killing too, but if you see someone with a sword, you know why. He feels like he's going to need to gut a human at some point

Also, I'm going to tell you that yeah, a fist is a fucking tool for violence.

For fuck's sake, you only form a fist when you're going to wreck a scrub.

Look at our primate ancestors, they use their fucking fists all the time for that shit.

I really shouldn't have said a world without weapons, because arms are weapons of a sort.

Oh also, you don't use a fist to fucking wank.

You'd have to crush your dick to wank with a fist.

That or you wank by punching your dick.

>The blade itself incites to deeds of vegetables.

>The blade itself incites to deeds of wood.

By that same logic, the mere presence of bows, slings, spears, and eventually guns is an incitement of hunting or competition.

Fuck no. Go fuck yourself with a cactus you degenerate cocksucker.

I do Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, when someone walks in off the street, even if they're 20kg heavier and 15 years younger (I'm 37) I can have them tapping out to a choke in about 20 seconds. In the absence of weapons I've turned myself into a lethal one.

I haven't been a fight since high school, actively avoid conflicts I know I can win and treat people well. Having a weapon doesn't make you violent, being violent does.

>t. pedo

Is presence of your mother an incitement to rape?

Also he was a fucking homo.

No. If that's the case then most Greeks would have killed each other on the spot.

Learn what a "safe queen" is.

What's the context?

>The dick itself incites to deeds of wood.

swedcucks answered that, their answer is yes, so they arrested a man for being too buff.

I'll bet you play as the Scipii.

totalwar.wikia.com/wiki/Loading_Screen_Quotes_(Rome:_Total_War)

Yep. Americans are born-retards as a people. The easy access to weapons absolutely makes violence more abundant, just as the easy access to abundant, high-calorie food...well, what the fuck do you know?

citation needed, double-dubs

>people ITT calling Homer a degenerate

yeah nah every ancient Greek that founded Western Covilization would be having your asses now, war style. baka

SWITZERLAND
WITZERLAND
ITZERLAND
TZERLAND
ZERLAND
ERLAND
RLAND
LAND
AND
ND
D

UK
K.

no

Holy fuck is that pic retarded, almost as retarded as you are for reading into it.

It's lifted from the Book 19 of the Odyssey:

"Telemachus,
all these war weapons we must stash inside,
and when the suitors notice they're not there
and question you, then reassure them,
using gentle language:
'I've put them away
in a place far from the smoke. Those weapons
are no longer like the ones Odysseus left
when he set off for Troy so long ago.
They're tarnished. That's how much the fire's breath
has reached them. Moreover, a god has set
greater fear inside my heart—you may drink
too much wine and then fight amongst yourselves
and wound each other. That would shame the feast,
disgrace your courtship. For iron by itself
can draw a man to use it.'"

It's literally a bullshit line Odysseus gives his son to use in order that all they can disarm all the suitors in their house so they can slaughter them. If you're trying to suggest that weapons alone incite violence, you're a moron.

that's not what he said though

Violence is golden and violence is innate to humans.

Pacifists get fucked. They are all dependent on a third party to be violent on their behalf.

this, Homer was redpilled
cucks BTFO

Lmao.

Thanks for redeeming this wise man.

You're doing God's work user. Fuck OP for taking this out of context.

“Don't quote laws to men who have swords”

>americuck can't grasp the abstraction of a metaphor for any tool of violence
>has to pedantically argue semantics to try and discredit a well established philosopher
why am I not surprised

> how is a weapon different from not a weapon

probably the weapon desu

the keyword you used was incitement not violence.

there is imo a moral distinction between aggression and defense and both are acts of violence. if you feel a primal urge to destroy something simply because you feel threatened by it, even when it is known not to aggravate then you are hardly sentient.

why should i fear what does me no harm unless I aggress upon it unless I intend to aggress upon it?

Does it incite it?

Not necessarily. But it guarantees it as an inevitability.

Which is good. I'd like to know the context Homer spoke with.

I've got an AR-15 in my house and I have no intention on shooting anyone

So no

hey check out this new blade I got for cutting up carrots and shit

>2299
two pair, praise kek

OP is essentially highlighting the fact that an unarmed group is easier to control and quick to slaughter.

Also, not to be a nit-picky dick, but Homer is most likely a pseudonym for multiple poets separated hundreds of miles and hundreds of years. Oral traditions/histories are pretty opaque in general, but it's obvious that those involved in creating the work of Homer were the wisest of their tribe and generation.

If liberals are going to try to project their bullshit values onto Classicism, all their going to do is run into swords and giant fucking walls.

It should work, I can't imagine it wouldn't. You're going to need a bigger cutting board though, and at least you can chop up a lot of carrots at once!

Dude, he was talking about dicks. Dicks on traps.

Not even someone breaking and entering, or an armed robber?

Self defence is a deed of violence. Op quote is akin to saying "the sky is blue"

This picture is making me contemplate ditching my current life and finding life and love again in a gun friendly white state

>Violence is bad
Fuck off Homer

Yes. It's called "the weapons priming effect".

post more HBBs with guns

Yeah and Homer also told us that Gibraltar is the end of the world ...
So was he right, burger ?

Nice misreading,

but in short: Homer was right about everything.

>people will make use of means they have

What, you want people to have their arms and legs replaced with pillows?

It's just that the point he makes is hippie shit that says hardly anything. Anyway, It's actually a shit argument made by a character in one of his stories to trick some asshole.

>weapon
>a thing designed or used for inflicting body harm or physical damage
>a thing designed OR USED for inflicting body harm or physical damage

anything can be used and has been used as a weapon, the design philosophy is moot, it is the nature of the user that determines the use of an inanimate object.

It is an argument against being armed, so I'm letting you know that you're always armed as well as everyone else, so you might as well arm yourself as best you can.