Captain Marvel Storytime

Storytiming the 90s Captain Marvel ongoing starring Best Marvel: Genis-Vell!

Ah yes, the Genis solo that nobody talks about.

That's right folks, it's time to get EXTREME.

That fucking butt sticker.

No true hero would litter like that.

Pencils by Ed "Leifeld" Benes

This issue is so extreme that it just crashed my computer trying to post the first page.

When I storytimed this issue, my scans were fucked up. Pages out of order, some were missing entirely!

That's what makes him so extreme. He's not your daddy's hero. He's a 90s hero, and he doesn't need your gratitude.

>Best Captain Marvel
Fuck yeah love Noh-Varr

But Genis ain't got nothing on this Bad Dude right here. Adam-X the X-treme! Could he be Scott Summers' long lost second brother? Maybe if you keep reading, you'll find out, true believers!

I love this run OP, you the man!

Noh-Varr was a hero for the modern age, but the Big 2 trade on nostalgia and as a result just weren't ready for such a Modern Hero in a way only Grant Morrison could. So then we never got Marvel Boy 2 and once Bendis got his grubby little hands on him, it was all over.

I do like Noh-Varr though. I think him mellowing out and turning into a space hipster is actually the best way to have taken a character like him. I wouldn't mind seeing him get an ongoing.

am i the first to see this?

Yeah, this issue's format in the scan is a mess, mostly from the double-page spreads.

Oh yeah, looks like you got the same scans I had, OP.

And some pages are legit backwards.

Looking back, it really is pretty funny/shitty that Vulcan completely stole all of Adam-X's build up. Everything about him maybe being the third Summers and destined to rule the Shia'ar Empire, and then "oops, actually, the third brother who is destined to rule the Shi'ar Empire is this guy that Professor X wiped from everyones memory named Vulcan, and oh yeah, he's a beyond omega level mutant."

Which further begs the question, how would War of Kings been if it was Emperor Extreme instead of Emperor Vulcan?

The difference is that Vulcan ended up being a supervillain, while Adam was to be a hero.
That said, I wasn't a fan of how they tried to make him sympathetic at first, as opposed to the much more entertaining Mad Emperor DnA gave us.

How do you pronounce his name? Is it Jee-nis or Geh-nis?

Always figured it was "Genis" like "Genesis" and pronounced accordingly. So Jeh-nis?

Given that he's called "Genny" frequently, which Rick later says sounds like "Jenny", it's a safe bet that his name is pronounced "Je-nis".

Oops, back on track here.