Why do atheists have funerals?

Why do atheists have funerals?

Why do worshippers of atheism get dressed up in suits, dress up the CORPSE ITSELF in a suit, hold moments of silence/reflection, all in a formal ceremony for what the atheist religion dictates is nothing more than decomposing matter?

Theists' belief of man's transcendent worth answers why they do.

What is the atheists' answer?

Other urls found in this thread:

huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/28/dildo-cremated-ashes_n_7155856.html
youtube.com/watch?v=npCINpKJitg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

2/10, you need to use proxy.

Nobody cares about this anymore

Many prehistoric civilizations also buried their dead.

Because burying the dead isn't a religious thing. Having a moment of silence in respect for them isn't solely a religious idea.

You die, people miss and cared about you. They want to show that respect in a big way, so they hold a funeral, or a wake, or an event.

Sprinkling ashes, burying the dead, sending them off into a blazing glory via a lit boat-it's all ways to show respect for the dead. It has nothing to do with religion.

>I took the bait.

But physically they're no more than a corpse after they die, why do atheists feel the need to treat a useless piece of dead meat with respect? What made the "person" is gone

Atheists dont really get a saying, im sure when i die my retarded ass catholic family will burry me and have a larp party with a priest. Even when they know i would just want to be cremated or whatever, who cares, im a corpse.

Yeah, better leave it lying on the ground

Tradition and in remembrance of them.

all dressed up and no where to go

>nobody cares about this anymore
inb4 300+ replies

Funerals are for the living, numbnuts.

>Atheists Rekt

Go back to Sup Forums you faggot

I have no control over what happens to my corpse. I'd like to be launched into high solar orbit totally naked to freak out some future space traveller.

lol look at the fucking retard in the middle 1 more reason not to be athiest

Being an atheist doesn't mean you're a robot with no feelings or romanticism at all.

we don't?

All fucking day there have been atheist threads made by a straya. Some of them have been in favor and others against. This is some next-level shitposting.

You forgot to turn on your proxy australia

It's more for the living than the dead. The dead guy gives no fuck because they can't.

Protip: there's no such thing as atheism.

Why not? A dead body literally has no purpose other than being fertilizer, right?

lol

ITT: people who need to mind their own business

fuck your mother with your dumb fedora sword meme.

just picture your mother's gaping asshole, dripping with cum.

there you go. there it is.

That is more of an argument against christian funerals.
According to you the body is just a shell now right? Their "spirit" (which is them) has moved on.
To an atheist the body was the person.

Your argument is backwards.

What's the source on the image? Google is being extra Jewish right now.

Funerals have existed way before Christianism.

Does anybody else find it really annoying that atheists celebrate Christmas?

I mean they don't celebrate Ramadan or Hanukkah, it's just hypocrisy.

They'll celebrate a religious holiday when they get to indulge in shit though, like Easter.

if atheists were intellectually honest they wouldn't be atheists.

Groundless, /k/'s new favorite manga

This is a Sup Forums post.mthis assholes uses the same stupid every time and posts these dumbass questions on Sup Forums twice or three times a day.

It's bait.

Sage

Because things haven't got worse enough where dead meat will be subsidized.

Interesting

Thanks. Looks interesting.

>implying

Were they tied to some belief in a spirit though? Genuine question, I'm leaning towards 'probably'

this.

>muh naturalistic epistemology

For religious purposes. There is no reason for an atheist to do this.

Atheism is the biggest jewish lie their is. With atheism jews have been able to completely separate people from their culture and beliefs. This makes a man easy to manipulate.

Was Christmas not a Pagan Holiday before christian took it over?

>They want to show that respect in a big way
How are they showing respect? The dead person is dead and can't see them showing respect.
Are you just trying to show off to your friends and family? Thats very conceited.

Let me try this again (with proper typing this go around).

First:

>1 post by this ID

Secondly, this asshole posts this same bullshit several times a day on Sup Forums and uses the same stupid ass picture.

It's pure bait (and not even quality) that needs saged.

Holy Shit you were expected to always be on Sup Forums, Never Ending Shitpost

Stupid question, even atheists pay respect to the deceased.

Putting out questions like that makes uou a person without honor.

it provides closure to grieving friends and family and if you couldn't figure that out on your own then you're probably autistic

>Muh Hivemind

So your just going to funerals for the aesthetic?
Why don't you retards understand that doing that is the most artificial way to feel aesthetic. While you're at it why don't you also kneel by your bed every night for that romantic feel?

>closure
Closure to what? How does going through a ceremony that doesn't really do anything for a guy who is already rotting flesh give you closure.
Would it not be easier to just gather around a dinner table and talk about his life or even better just go through his old stuff and remember him one last time.

Its not a hive mind its a reply.

Why do you idiots keep responding to bait and to an OP who's always back in Sup Forums jerking off to the latest Facebook fap post?

>browsing Sup Forums
what is wrong with you people

>going on Sup Forums
That place is degenerate cancer

Yes, much of the Roman Catholic holidays all have Pagan beginnings. And atheists are quick to point that out, but atheist does not = pagan. Pagan is religion too.

A lot of non-religious people choose to be cremated, but their family wants to have a service for sentimental reasons, and to celebrate the deceased. Humans are emotional creatures, and it's what binds us together.

Jefferson was deist master race

Probably because of cultural norms and to help ease the pain of that person's loss.

Why don't you live every day in fear of the Lake of Fire, where the worm never dies and the fire is never quenched? If you really believed that in your heart, I doubt you'd be shitposting on Sup Forums, and rather, trying to get right with God.

>implying im atheist scum

Please, im a philosopher

Are you actually this dumb?

No idea it's a good question...

Probably tradition. If I could save money by not getting a burial I'd be happy for my descendants that would save that money.

Does anyone know how expensive cremation is?

Yeah it would be good to gather around and talk about his life. That's what a funeral is, fucknuts

Abraham Lincoln fucked this country

>help ease the pain of that person's loss
This only works if you are religious though.
Again there is no reason to go through this long ceremony for emotional or sentimental reasons.
If someone where to forget the dead without a burial ceremony then they were not worth the sentiment or not close enough for you to bother with a ceremony.

Not an argument.

>This only works if you are religious though.
No. Rituals help to ease people's mental state in stressful situations.

At least when I died, my ashes will be melted into a dildo so that in death I may at least know a woman.

>Dildo is never bought.

A funeral is not a dinner. A funeral is where you get dressed up in suits to watch a priest bless a dead person who is also in a suit with lots of make up as he goes down a hole.

Atheist kill culture. If you are an atheist you are one of the reasons people think whites don't have culture.

>Einstein
>atheist

You remind me of a preacher at my grandpa's funeral. He lived out his last days in his hand-built log cabin in northern Michigan. During his funeral, my dad gave a speech, saying he wasn't a religious man, but knew the difference between right and wrong. The preacher then proceeded to give a speech where he called non-believers "mudballs" over-and-over.

My grandpa was cremated, and we scattered his ashes at a creek near his cabin. Drank his favorite scotch-whiskey to celebrate his death. Maybe we are all mudballs, but from ashes to ashes, and from dust to dust.

funny you should mention that

huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/28/dildo-cremated-ashes_n_7155856.html

>> because per CAPitA

If anything it would make people more stressed as they have to follow strict codes and rules in rituals.
Wouldn't it be easier to just throw a party with close friends and family?

Why do you have to go through weird and strict rituals if those rituals don't really do anything.

As opposed to someone who believes in the God of their parents?

Why are the religious so desperately retarded? Nobody worships atheism. Going to funerals is part of the culture, like Christmas and Easter. It's just something people do to mourn their loved ones. Now stop being a retard and go worship your 2000 year old carpenter god

>My grandpa was cremated, and we scattered his ashes at a creek near his cabin. Drank his favorite scotch-whiskey to celebrate his death.
Why? Why did you scatter his ashes? What was the purpose of listening to some dudes speech who hardly even knew your grandfather?

Kek

I don't bury myself.

>Going to funerals is part of the culture
Culture is part of religion. The only reason culture was ever formed was because of religion.
For what purpose do the non religious practice them? For fun? To fit in? These are merely cheap imitations of culture. Like a group of westerners celebrating Chinese new years.
>to mourn
There are many ways to mourn that don't involve rituals.
Please answer me, I really want to know.

>Lincoln
>Jefferson
>Sagan
>Einstein

How are you this uninformed?

His wife was a religious woman, who wanted his funeral to be held at the local church. We honored her by attending the service she wanted. We later had our own sort-of service, when we scattered the ashes. Something we did purely for our own sake, and for no real rational reason.

Humans are emotional creatures, and it's what bind us together.

hot asf

>I think people stop being human beings whatsoever the second they stop believing my post hebrew bronze age desert post roman post martin luther post enlightenment theology
Elephants and whales hold funerals which means that this is more primitive than your religion. There is something deep within us regardless of how materialist and nihilistic one may be that no one can really remove. We in the west have evolved, thanks to Christianity, to have different brains and different emotional patterns and different ways of arriving at knowledge or belief than others. Our brains are different. Before Christianity and the scientific method, people arrived to conclusions on different ways. The pyramids of Giza, Chichen Itza, they were built by primitive peoples. The guides in Teotihuacan are toothless Mexicans who somehow can sell to you hand carved whistles that sound exactly like eagles and death screams. There is a tao to know without thinking. We know to hurt when one of us dies. There is an instinctive precursor to moral yearning. We can barely understand ourselves, less our own minds.

>Einstein
>Atheist
Fucking kill yourself

>Something we did purely for our own sake, and for no real rational reason.
Irrationality is something only women and the religious can do.

>what is a false dichotomy

Did I say anything about christianity? I said religion. That means pyramid burials and Buddhism too you know.
>Elephants and whales hold funerals which means that this is more primitive than your religion
Maybe there is more to life then meets the eye. hmmmm really makes you think. Maybe they know something we don't.
>There is something deep within us regardless of how materialist and nihilistic one may be that no one can really remove
So you admit that religoes theories can possible true. That perhaps humans do have spirits that will never be scientifically understood.

Who /pantheist/ here?

As David Hume said: "Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office than to serve and obey them."

You make einstein angry

haha yeah fuck reason and logic n shieet. I feel really bad about dumb niggers. Lets force the government to help them.

Shit man I get you now. You threw in Jews so I assumed too much beyond the memes.

Glorious heathen here

its true though. kikes love athiest because they are easily manipulated. its very easy to manipulate people that don't have a cultural guide book to follow.

See Hume's is/ought problem. You can't deductively derive a normative proposition, from only deductive propositions. As a matter of logic.

He does not belief in a personal god he was no theist , he was agnostic . it does not really matter he was also a filthy jew

>hur dur onle catholicksz mourn and bury ded

'kay. Not that I'm surprised what a fucking retard you are given you believe in a skydaddy.

maybe next of kin arranged the funeral
maybe it will make some family members happy
maybe it will make society happy knowing we aint just dumping the bodies of atheists by the side of the road
maybe he like enya
youtube.com/watch?v=npCINpKJitg

“I am not an Atheist. I do not know if I can define myself as a Pantheist. The problem involved is too vast for our limited minds… The child dimly suspects a mysterious order in the arrangement of the books but doesn’t know what it is. That, it seems to me, is the attitude of even the most intelligent human being toward God.”

I love that religious people have such a hard time imagining a world without religion that they liken non-theism to a religion