Daily Japanese Thread #1962

DJT is a language learning thread designed by and for those studying the Japanese language.

Read the Guide linked below before asking how to learn Japanese:
djtguide.neocities.org/
Check the Cornucopia of Resources before asking where to download X or Y:
djtguide.neocities.org/cor.html

Archive of older threads: desuarchive.org/int/search/subject/Daily Japanese Thread/

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/q0HLamNRE3o
hackingchinese.com/handwriting-chinese-characters-the-minimum-requirements/
youtube.com/watch?v=ckTGV5dvfQM
nicovideo.jp/watch/sm6997084
youtu.be/pUIy9XfhZvA?t=788
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Do you love Japan?

>The possibility that the "explanatory" とは might be a shortened form of というものは never even crossed my mind.
Bless J-J resources.

How to into learning Japanese? I have very little motivation, even though I've been here for a whole goddamn month

It's not really a shortened form of it, it just means basically the same thing.

>It's not really a shortened form of it, it just means basically the same thing.
Guess I'll go digging for the etymology later then.

Go to a park, do something like playing a game or open-air sketching and wait for curious passersby.

Stop wasting this chance. Unless you're going to stay there forever, then do whatever you want.

>I have very little motivation, even though I've been here for a whole goddamn month
I want to fly over there and punch you 2bh

Don't tell me you thought you could learn Japanese just by going there

I barely learned any Japanese in Japan, too many distractions.

He should've just watched anime instead.

unironically desu

Stop being a bitch, you don't need motivation to make yourself do something.

I was looking at my anki stats and I noticed: why is the number of total cards less than the number shown in the pie chart? Sometimes when I use Yomichan it will let me import a word that is already in my deck, when usually the button would be greyed out, so could that be somehow related? Anyone know?

It's not.

探索
検索
調査
探査
検査
探測
捜査

試験
検察
視察
点検
監査
検証
検討
検察

do people actually mix those up?

hahaha of course not

mongols> j*paniggers

Yeah, yeah your m*ngol ancestors were great yadda yadda. Now fuck off.

is there any Polish user learning japanese? I'm a complete begginer, just a few days into, and I can't focus online because I tend to drift to chans and other sites so I need something in paper format. Are there any good Polish books to learn Japanese or should I stick to English materials that are reccomended here?

If you consistently mix them up when it comes to their readings and definitions, you might be retarded. However, knowing when to actually use one over the other is obviously more of a challenge for non-natives

Is it the same to say

僕は図書館で読む
図書館で私を読む

?

You're using the wrong particle in the second one (を), as it renders 私 the object of 読む, which doesn't make sense.

So it's the first form, then

subjectはlocationでverb

technically it doesn't matter if it's 僕は図書館で読む or 図書館で僕は読む because both would be correct
it seems to me you think there's some connection between the sentence constellation and particles when there's none

How do I keep myself motivated with Anki? At first I was spending around 90 minutes a day when reviewing ~140 cards plus 25 new each day; I wasn't passing a card until I was able to give the meaning AND the reading, otherwise I would keep repeating it. Now I'm about 4 weeks in and I just got tired of spending nearly two hours a day so now I just pass it if I can at least somewhat get the meaning right. I'm spending only like 20-30 minutes a day between review and the 25 new cards, but I can tell that I'm definitely not fully learning them, if at all.

Should I just focus on reading a little everyday and use that to reinforce my vocabulary, or is spending nearly two hours a day worth it even if it means spending most of my spare time every day (usually around 3-4 hours during the week).

Slow down a bit. It seems that you are piling up on "difficult" words that you tend to skip every now and then (i.e. non-mature cards). This happens when you introduce new cards more than maturing cards.

I'd suggest you take a break first from adding new cards and allow yourself to get a grip on the cards that you've already added. It seems that your short-term memory is overloaded by the rate you are adding new cards to memorize. Use that power instead to mature them in order to reduce your review count.

so you're probably at something like 3k words right now
you should definitely start reading if you haven't already, it's pretty much the perfect timing to start with something like Yotsuba now. personally I think it feels much better to learn words from your mining deck anyway
you're still at a beginner stage so there's no problem really, but ultimately Anki should be the supplement to reading, not vice versa

but you could also just set new cards to 0 for a while. this might seem like some sort of setback to you, but for learning japanese you have to think in years anyway, there's no point in trying to sprint a marathon

To memorize vocab/kanji, should I be physically writing them? Students in anime do that, like writing each kanji 10 times. I'm not sure just doing anki is enough. Writing is a hell of a lot harder than reading. Maybe it forces you to learn it.

My motivation comes from possibly using it for work. If I can become fluent, I can get a really good job in Japan and live in Tokyo. Thinking about that gets me motivated. Way more motivating than "reading raws" (scanlations are usually available) or "TEFL" (low pay). But I need N2+ and some special jargon.

Associate the shapes of Kanji to something stupid or whatever that will help you remember

For example, 消す sort of looks like a breaker switch to me, and those little strokes all around it I imagine are little bolts of electricity.

>I'd suggest you take a break first from adding new cards
related, but opinions on cutting new cards entirely vs just reducing the daily count by half or more?

>To memorize vocab/kanji, should I be physically writing them?
I'm not too sure, I've written down thousands of words by now and still sort of suck

maybe just write down specific words you're having trouble with several times

You should set a pace in which "those days" (low %correct rate) are minimized. That kind of pace should be your "normal" pace, but finding that exact pace is up to you. I personally have a normal rate of 15 cards/day, in which I add 20 cards on days I feel very good and I stop adding for the day when I get something like

youtu.be/q0HLamNRE3o
man, that stupid way of saying Füssen around 4:05 is too qt

In phrases like these:
>現金なもので、気分が高揚した今は、町の寂しいたたずまいが好ましく思える
>わかりやすい理屈である。 現金なもので、この少女に対する疑惑も恐怖感も嘘のように消えていった。
現金なもので is something like "As self-centered as I am" right? I understand that 現金 can mean 打算的, but I'm not sure if that conveys the feeling right. Any ideas?

is えい a normal expression to make while hitting someone?

She actually doesn't understand when the German horse carriage guy says ''roku euro'', stares at him blankly until he says ''six euro'' at the 16:50 mark. The memes are real, we are learning this language to speak to no one.

Anime girls say it when they moe punch.

What's your favorite word that you learned today lads?
>金属 (きんぞく)
>means "metal"

自殺

You won't magically begin to write unless you do it, but handwriting may not be an essential skill for you either.
Learn stroke order and proportions, though. For why this is important, see hackingchinese.com/handwriting-chinese-characters-the-minimum-requirements/

Kek

多生(たしょう)
metempsychosis
-or-
saving the lives of many

why do i keep seeing words for transmigration

get ready :^)

Anyone know any good Kansaiben only speaking shows? Anime, drama, youtuber, etc

Not actually a word but a grammar point
>しようとする; [plain volitional]とする
Functions the same way (I think) as てみる.

>キタ
what is this why are the characters narrow

Half-width kana. They count as 1 character for computers, instead of 2, which is the default for kanji and full-width kana.

How about this video? It is an anime for kids so "he" doesn't use too difficult words, and "his" voice actress is from Osaka.
youtube.com/watch?v=ckTGV5dvfQM

Another one. 春日歩(かすが あゆむ) is a character in an anime あずまんが大王(だいおう), which source material manga's author also writes Yotsubato!, speaks in Kansai-ben slowly.
Both her voice actress and manga author are from Kansai (Osaka, Hyogo resp.).
Unfortunately I couldn't find out Kansaiben only show, there are many video clips focusing her lines. For example,
nicovideo.jp/watch/sm6997084
(*You need niconico-douga account. Sorry if you don't have.)

帝王学

>that voice
In Brazil Kero is voiced by the same guy who voiced Babidi in Dragon Ball Z... so he sounds like an old fart.

youtu.be/pUIy9XfhZvA?t=788

What a revelation! :)

bump

well she asked him in english so I guess she was expecting an english answer at first

"rokkyuuro" isn't a real word, not in Japanese anyway

>無頼漢
>Noun
>1. ruffian; villain; scoundrel
Why not just an "undesirable"?