What makes a villain so great?

What makes a villain so great?

Is it the size of his penis?

It's a case-by-case basis, honestly. There's no universal rule for a good villain.

I mean the go-to is the "He acts like he's the her if his own story" but there are great villains that are motivated by greed or just being a gigantic cunt, so at the end of the day you just have to judge each individually.

I think the question you should be asking is
>what makes a great character

Basically, 100% this.

This. It's context dependent.

Cliche but the motivation of their goal and upbringing is a key thing I look when I determine a great villian

This guy was a great villan. Cold, calculating and ruthless.

This guy. Holy fuck... he's the most evil villian in Pixar.

Except he literally did nothing wrong.

Plus charisma.

Every time I read these lists I always feel the writers are stupid, uncritical readers.

Besides being a dictator and disposing of anyone who disagreed with him. Oh and fucking Woody and the gang over and dooming them to a firey death.

Ya gotta do what ya gotta do, user.

That is what makes a villain great.

generic obstacles can still be fun if done right. Besides one could make the argument Doomsday is everything that Superman isn't. His whole purpose is to destroy whereas Superman wants to save. I don't even like Doomsday and it's easy to know that.

charisma

Is it the cinnamon-sugar swirls in every bite?

>everytime I read opinions, they don't really align with my own

Welcome to life.

How well they can pull off a shit-eating grin/smirk.

This bothers me just because Darkseid isn't really a simple character, but almost any writer who gets their hands on him always just boils him down to DC's designated bad guy.

Sheer execution
Charts like these are always horseshit
You can make a good villain of any caliber as long as you do it correctly

>Darkseid
>Mid tier

lol ok.

Are you saying villains with basic motives are bad? See Black Manta and The Mighty Monarch.

The best villains are the ones that are protagonists of their own stories that you can't read.

everyone is entitled to their own opinion, even if their opinion is shallow an/or stupid

>He acts like he's the hero of his own story"

I always hate when this is done, because it's never really true. That may be the point I guess, but it would be nice to see more villainous characters doing questionable things for what they perceive is the greater good. But it's always "I drowned this box of puppies... For the good of humanity!".