Totally Awesome Hulk #9 Storytime

For some reason, we've had multiple threads about the last page of this issue but no actual storytimes of it. So here's a storytime of it.

Oh good
Thanks op

>Chibi dramatization of the death of the Hulk
What a couple of cunts.

Pretty sure that was the point.

No Clint not again!

T'Challa you smug cunt.

>wasting Del Mundo on this piece of shit
Marvel can't go one day without doing something stupid.

>Y'know Amadeus my boyfriend just died and I'm free this Friday......

The fuck are you on about? TAHulk has been great so far.

I miss Herc so much you guys ;_;

WTF is with her face?

Fuck no.

>her
Just because you don't like Carl doesn't mean you should call him names.

Are you confused?

This.
Holy shit, the majority of this issue was just talking. Why the fuck would you waste one of your most amazing artists on something so god damn mundane? Get your shit together, Marvel

High quality bait.

>buttfuck Carol in the pussy

Why does everyone else at Marvel have to bend to Bendis' continuity when it's apparent he doesn't pay attention to theirs?

It just isn't fair...

SAVAGE HULK

That's beautiful.

To be clawtinued? Did they even bother to say that out loud.

So that's SteveCap, Storm, and Monica. Who's blue collar, Blue Marvel?

Amadeus has some brass ones, jesus christ

Yep.

Page one and this is already not too great. What's with the shitty painted-over pictures art?

>Steve Rogers
>standing on the sidelines
>while somebody else does the talking
Maybe if he was a black asexual amputee girl, he'd be on the spotlight again

It okay, but it's all very throwaway and light.
Nothing has any weight to it and the characters are all very simple.

In the other civil war they at least tried to make each side sort of even in ideology and approach, why is Cap Marvel going full gestapo and shit?

Yep, that's Blue Marvel.

But he's the one manipulating events. Him being in the spotlight would be counter-intuitive. Don't worry, he'll probably be the main antagonist for next summer's big event.

But Registration WAS Gestapo.

>The entire issue is Cho just fucking with Carol as his own form of revenge for killing Banner

I fucking love this kid

Wow.
My jaw just hit the floor.

holy fucking shit

YOU A SLAVE TO A PAGE IN MY RHYME BOOK

Not bad issue.
Once again the only salvageable thing to come out of this event are the tie-ins.

This book really increased its quality in the last issues and Amadeus is finally being totally awesome like the title promised

Because he makes the most money.

he knows where Perlmutter hid the bodies

If Carol was actually looking for a new beard I think she'd choose someone more boring.

Yeah but outside of his Hulk form he's all asian and effeminate.

GOT 'EM!

Absolutely fantastic

Top level trolling.

I dunno: I think Del Mundo was great in this issue. Here's an exercise to demonstrate just how great an artist he is: imagine this issue without the word bubbles and sound effects--completely mute, no dialog but with the same art. Can you tell what's happening between characters by the way the way the artist sets up each panel and depicts body language, facial expressions alone?

I think you could in this case. That's a lot harder than most people realize, and Del Mundo excels at this sort of thing. It's easy to keep people engaged with a lot of action, but to do an understated and subtle story like this and keep it interesting through the interpersonal tension depicted is really, really great.

Jesus Christ, T'Challa, there isn't even a reason to.

Why are you sticking your nose into this?

got sick of Cho implying he's smarter than him

I definitely think that one section where carol and cho staredown would have failed, or worse, looked silly with a worse artist.

Can you imagine those facial expressions delivered by say, Henderson?

Goddamn it Cho, you're a cheeky little bastard.

>Imagine those facial expressions delivered by Henderson
Great now I want to rub dirt in my mind's eye.

KILL THEM ALL CHO. KILL THEM ALL

Finally. Thanks user. I kept meaning to ask for this.

SAVAGE

I got real life goosebumps at this, Sup Forums.

In Carol's defense, she is capable of throwing Hulk into orbit with her bare hands

getting a good grip would be the hard part

Let me improve that.

Mike Del Mundo and Erica Henderson have exactly the same number of Eisner nominations and wins.

Have they just given up on Carol as a hero?
She looks and acts like a goddamn nazi.

This whole "looking it the future" BS is really fucking annoying. Liked the issue though. Didn't really like the first two or three issues but this one was really fun. Thannks for the story time.

They wasted all their time the first few issues of Civil War making Tony look like an over emotional douche and Carol using the new asset to get the drop on outright criminals. They're just making up for lost time by having her go full retard.

It's not the first time and it won't be the last

she IS part Kree

Has Carol interacting with Rogue yet?

He just wanted an excuse to test out his Hulkbuster armor.

post Secret Wars? I believe not

Closest she's come is helping out the Uncanny Avengers.

Except that despite how pointless Weird World was, it played more to his strengths than people staring down each other and then Cho trolling.

I mean, go by the thumbnails alone - You can tell people are talking, there's a spot in the woods, and end scene with Cho trolling with BP in a big suit.

At least next issue should better.

She probably could

Thanks OP!

I picked up the first arc because of the Cho art (it was about as forgettable and pointless as I expect from Pak who tends to churn out paint-by-numbers mediocrity); and dropped it as soon as Cho left (the second artist was AMAZINGLY shitty just using photoshop filters on photographs for backgrounds ect).

I only decided to check this out because of the Del Mundo Black Hulkbusting Panther showing up everywhere; but I was pleasantly surprised at how well this whole issue came together.

I agree with the people saying that this issue works due to the great art (the mood, expressions, and choice of shots ... the VISUAL storytelling) without which it'd just be a boring filler issue of people standing around talking and posturing.

But I disagree with the people saying that it sucks or that the writing sucks. It doesn't. It's just mediocre.

Great art can't really keep completely shit writing from being completely shit. If you doubt that then go read the main Civil War II issues that this ties into where the art has been absolutely stellar but they're still a chore to slog through.

>She probably could
Could she? If Ulysses' vision is to believed, and really she should have no reason to react to it otherwise, the Hulk can deal with her and many others squarely.

>courtesy call ends up being a lynch mob on his lawn
What's with showing up to a Hulk's location with an army behind you already pointing guns. They just trying to provoke a response so they can get an excuse to take him down? Is Thunderbolt Ross in charge of this op?

I'm so sick of Carl's shit. Hopefully Cho trolls her some more.

>why T'Challa
True, but at least he's doing more than fetching Carl coffee and updating her on how her fantasy sports teams are doing. Pak is remembering that this guy is a super-intelligent, prideful monarch who has his own aims and goals. Meanwhile in Bendis land this fucking dude is making faces at Carl and Rhodey kissing or is just relegated to background material fodder

>If Ulysses' vision is to believed
Ully's vision showed nothing except that it was possible for Hulk to kill them all, it didn't show that it would be impossible for the Hulk to lose the fight instead

That armor really looks like a giant teddy bear.

The same way they stopped Hulk before Cho

Launch him into space, or just use the arrow that Clint used.

Aww now that's just fucking adorable

There's a subtlety and skill to his work that admiring past just the way he depicts the order of events. Here, lets use this page as an example

Panel 1: From the previous page, we know that Maddy is sitting next to Amadeus, but this is the first time she's looking in his direction since sitting down (see panel 4 of the previous page). So there's a little hesitance in the look she's giving him, trying to connect with him.

Panel 2: Amadeus was looking straight ahead in the last panel of the previous page, but his eyes turn to look towards Maddy, though not directly at her--he hears what she's saying. But notice his mouth: his frown says he's not liking what he's hearing.

Panel 3: Notice the way the scene is framed: from outside the room, thru the doorway. Both of them are bolt-upright, looking out--something has interrupted them. You don't even need the "Ding-Dong" to catch on to the fact something has happened outside based on the body language and the expressions.

Panel 4: This shot establishes the two heading towards the door, sure, but look at the body language here: Maddy doesn't want Amadeus to go, but Amadeus' body language clearly says, "Leave me alone, I'm doing this!"

Panel 5: Amadeus is reaching for the door--which we can clearing infer, even without seeing the door knob or most of the door--the power of the body language in the previous panel makes it apparent what Amadeus wants. Note that we can't see all of his face, but Maddy does, and her expression makes it clear that she thinks it's a bad idea.

(cont.)

>implying it wasn't the only one-time use anti Hulk arrow that they will never bring back ever again

Finally, note the way the action and bodies in all of these panels are set up to lead a reader's eyes cleanly and rapidly through the action on the page: Maddy is placed closer the the right of the first panel, making it easier to move to the next panel on the right; Amadeus' frown leads down off-panel to the next panel; the strong vertical lines of the hall lead down through the entirety of the panel, and the scene is off-set a little to the right, leading off-panel a bit to the next panel, completing the page.

It's the little things like being able to depict expressions, body language and space within a panel that make a big difference.

It was an arrow made by Bruce