Will Squirrel Girl ever be taken seriously again?

All I ever wanted was for her to be in some fun stories and a part of the Marvel cast like any other superhero.

But not like this. Not... like this.

No one has ever taken Squirrel Girl seriously. The difference now is that she's not a likeable character anymore.

Not until they fire Henderson for being a tallentless hack. Which is never.

>I don't read comics

She was never taken seriously, but she was at least endearing and there wasn't anything bad about her.

Ryan North's writing is fucking shit too.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

>No one has ever taken Squirrel Girl seriously.
>Tumblr uglyface enablers will use this excuse to defend Squirrel-barf
Yeah we get you never heard of her before this run and are a big fan of the MCUverse now kindly fuck off.

I would like to think this will be looked back on as a low point in her overall history, but really I could say the same for marvel itself.

>The girl that was Luke Cage's childs godparent was never taken seriously by anybody

>godparent

Who the fuck even takes THAT shit seriously? Every time I've heard friends or family mention that shit i've rolled my eyes.

They're both horrible choices for a squirrel girl book because their shit is so low energy and squirrel girl is a high energy and Upbeat.

>godparent

She was their babysitter.

>Who the fuck even takes THAT shit seriously
people who care about their friends/people who have friends

No one is defending "Squirrel-barf"

But before she was known for being drawn like a fat teenage boy, her claim to fame was "somehow defeats top-tier villains off-screen in a single panel despite having shitty powers"

She's always been a one-note joke character.

It's just that the note has changed and it sucks even worse now than it did before.

Is "godparent" even a valid thing?

Like, the term means "if the real parents die, you become the kid's legal guardian" but does that actually WORK or does the state give the kid to the actual biological next of kin instead?

More like the kind of ones who go to church too much and name their church buddies "God this and god that" when they ignore their other friends who don't want to waste their sundays.

ITT people mistake "taken seriously" for "being allowed to be in good comics" and use her minor-status to justify mangling her further

It's an agreement. When the parent dies the godparent usually respects their arrangement and takes legal guardianship of the kids.

If they don't they're fucking dicks.

What happened, Squirrel Girl?
You used to be cute

>Upvotes Fedora
Well said GentleGem.

>Posts stale meme
Well shitposted senpai

Squirrel Girl is arguably being taken more seriously now then she was ever intended to be, which is the problem.
y'kno... aside from the art...

I'm defending it.
It's one of the 2 Marvel books I 100% enjoy.
The other is Gwenpool. I like comedy books and hate events.

Are you sure that's not meant to be a tranny?

Holy fuck that projecting.

You have really shit taste familia.

Holy shit kill yourself

Shrug emoji.
I don't care about Civil War 2, heroes fighting each other seriously, inhumans, legacy characters, or who MJ is boning to make One More Day seem justified.

Marvel comics are a joke to me now, so I read the two books that are laughing at it.

>Shrug emoji

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

She's fine in New Avengers and will probably be fine in USAvengers.

Shhh, they don't actually care about Squirrel Girl or read comics. They just like memeing and jerking each other off.

>Marvel

AV Club really likes this image for some reason. What am I missing?

>One of the most effective moments in the issue is the transition from the splash page of Mole Man proposing to Squirrel Girl (“Will you be my Mole Ma’am?”) to the panel showing the stunned faces of Nancy and Koi Boi, and their reactions to Doreen’s story are amplified by the chaotic lime green pattern on the wall behind them, a visual representation of their confusion in that moment.

>This week’s issue features a new addition to the art team in inker Tom Fowler, and partnering Henderson with an all-star talent like Fowler further elevates the book’s visuals.

I hate Erica Henderson's art so much.

Don't worry, I'm here to "help"

I think people are more worried that the solo series is going to inform how the character is depicted from here on out. New Avengers is a sign that won't be the case, but I don't blame fans for being nervous about the character going forward.

Damn it, EH, you know you're supposed to draw the black one like a woman! You're going to confuse tumblr into thinking she's a progressive trans character, again, when really its just a woman and you just can't draw anything feminine

Even referring it to as "art" is a stretch

That's silly. Heroes change entirely all the time, Iron Man was a villain before the movie.

You sound bitter. Were you passed over for godparenthood?

They don't, really.

Characters have a status quo that they return to. Batman might be a ruthless murderer tomorrow, but he'll return to his status quo eventually. That status quo isn't necessarily how the character was first imagined, it's defined by their big, popular stories.

The longer Squirrel Girl is written in this manner, the more likely it's going to be the default snap-back point.

How DARE she draw Kamala!

So she'll always be a joke character?
Oh no?

I don't think that'll be too much of a problem.

Ultimately this book is bad media. It's "working" right now because of the zeitgeist it inhabits, but it'll get forgotten and moved on from.

The marvel mangaverse lasted a while, but now it's looked back on with a collective cringe.