I just read through the Rocketeer collection and I need more pulpy stuff like that...

I just read through the Rocketeer collection and I need more pulpy stuff like that. What's the best there is to read from that?

Other urls found in this thread:

www46.zippyshare.com/v/0A1yxFf1/file.html
www68.zippyshare.com/v/13207167/file.html
www19.zippyshare.com/v/66039914/file.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Also, why is Betty such a slut?

Sandman Mystery Theater

Lobster Johnson

Just wait for the new movie, you'll probably love it.

>the new movie
Didn't realize they were making a new one.
>you'll probably love it.
And now I'm worried.

Jesus, why did I look?
>The new take keeps the story in a period setting and offers a fresh view on the characters. Set six years after the original Rocketeer and after Secord has vanished while fighting the Nazis, an unlikely new hero emerges: a young African–American female pilot, who takes up the mantle of Rocketeer in an attempt to stop an ambitious and corrupt rocket scientist from stealing jetpack technology in what could prove to be a turning point in the Cold War.

Buzz words for you.

Cold war

Female black pilot as the Rocketeer

Brigham Taylor

At least the set up looks like it can work. They actually bothered to give a reason why there was a girl now rather than just lazily replacing the original and pretending it never existed.

>has vanished while fighting the Nazis
I mean, I can't expect them to get anything else right, but wasn't Cliff in the Pacific theater during the war?

is this going to be the ghostbusters all over again?

Not OP, only read the original mini. Does she carry on banging other men in the other series?

Well the movie and the comic should really be considered different continuities, there are a lot of differences between the two.

Read the new one that's coming out this summer: How Latisha Hot Her Rocket On, based on the novel The Rocketeer, by Sapphire.

Tom Strong
The Shadow
Doc Savage
Justice Inc.
Xenozoic Tales kind of has that feel
Maybe old EC comics

No because they're not retconning the old film, its building off of the established world of the rocketeer.
I'm actually intrigued with how they're going to handle her in this point of history. Can't wait

This can only feel disrespectful to Dave Steven's original work. I mean, the entire point of the Rocketeer is that its an homage to the pulpy classics of yesteryear where every villain was a Nazi spy and all a hero needed was a mask and a good right hook. Introducing an African american women as the new protagonist and setting the entire thing during the cold war shows it has no reverence for the franchise nor any understanding in the influences of the original movie/comic

They're not pretending that the original never existed and the description seems to suggest that both the original and the new girl will be used.
Actually sounds intriguing so far

Is there really that big of a difference if they use commie spies rather than nazi spies?

Exactly. Cliff Secord dissappears and I guess she finds one of the replacements that Peevy developed but never got to test. Maybe if this goes into the fifties then it'll be atomic.

Its not that they're commies, its the fact that they changed them to commies

>never a 3A Rocketeer

Sad.

But that's the way pulp evolved as well. Germany became USSR and they went from Nazis to KGB.

Really it's fine.

But that isn't the Rocketeer. This has much to do with the Rocketeer as something like Batman Forever has to do with Batman

I would also recommend Warren Ellis's Ignition City. Short run, only 5 issues, but 5 issues of the best pulpy cheesy rockets-and-rayguns you love.

Similarly, Ellis's Planetary. Not solely pulp, but many things which have fit into that same place in culture. Silver Age comic books, 50s monster movies (American and Japanese), 60's spy films, and the like. Even features direct homages to Doc Savage, G-8, The Shadow, and others.

She never bangs anyone, but she's still an attention whore, which makes Cliff furious.

Why were his pants so poofy?

They were jodhpurs. They allowed some movement for thighs and hips in the saddle because they didn't have stretchy pants back in the day. It also allowed some air flow to cool the legs.

The Shadow Strikes! will be a good read for you. (Don't read DC's other Shadow book. I haven't read the Dynamite stuff, so I can't speak on the quality of that.)

Ignition City, as suggested above, is also entertaining.

Sandman Mystery Theatre, as suggested above, is fantastic.

Masks and Mobsters was pretty good, at least before I kinda drifted away from it. 1930s-era mafia story where superheroes are just then getting started.

JLA: The Golden Age.

The Phantom is still a classic for a reason.

Atomic Robo and Hellboy are, of course, modern pulp.

There's some company that I can't remember the name of, but they're taking a bunch of the old Gold Key heroes and doing new stories with them as a team and solo tales. Flash Gordon, the Phantom, Prince Valiant, Mandrake the Magician, Lothar, etc. Very worth the read.

If you don't mind radio, I definitely suggest the Superman and Green Hornet radio serials. I'm less fond of the Shadow, since I prefer the book version, but it's still a fun listen. Blue Beetle's also somewhat entertaining, though a bit low-budget.

For books, the Doc Savage novels still stand up to modern standards. They're tense, exciting, though sometimes awkwardly racist and the science can sometimes be. Uh. A thing. (In one of the novels they find themselves up against T-Rexes that get around like kangaroos.) They're coming out with regular releases of new Doc Savage novels now, and those are fantastic too. Still set in the 30s.

Also for books, there's The Green Hornet Chronicles/Casefiles/Still At Large, a trilogy of short story anthologies based on the 60s show. Less pulp, I know, but still absolutely fantastic.

What does one start with with Rocketeer or Hellboy for that matter, both look interesting and I've only ever seen the movies.

The beginning.

There's not a lot of history to the comics. There's only one or two series. Just pick up The Rocketeer #1 or the TPB that IDW put out and you're good.

With Hellboy, just start at Hellboy #1.

The Rocketeer - The Complete Adventures (2009) (digital-Empire).cbr
www46.zippyshare.com/v/0A1yxFf1/file.html

Rocketeer Adventures 01-04 (of 04) (2011) Complete.rar
www68.zippyshare.com/v/13207167/file.html

Rocketeer Adventures 2 1-4 (2012) (Digital) (Fawkes-Empire).rar
www19.zippyshare.com/v/66039914/file.html

Start with the Complete Adventures and go from there.
As for Hellboy, read everything.

Read the original series, short but sweet. You can check out American Flagg or pretty much anything by Howard Chaykin

Terry & The Pirates
Buz Sawyer
Johnny Hazard