What is it with the "cool older girl" trope in cartoons?

What is it with the "cool older girl" trope in cartoons?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yuedZ1Y_dU4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Because the "cool older boy" trope has already been done to death.

The older person is always the coolest. Gender here is irrelevant.

Because it's okay for a woman to kiss a non-family child 10 years younger than them. When a man does it it's creepy and probably rape.

>Because it's okay for a woman to kiss a non-family child 10 years younger than them.
But that never happens. It's always an unrequited crush. And I'm fucking sick of it.

No, they always get that pity kiss on the cheek or whatever right before the older girl leaves the show forever to go to college or move across the country or whatever, then next episode it's right back to status quo.

Kisses on the cheek aren't creepy at all. A guy could do it to a girl and it wouldn't be weird.

Isn't this the guy who dragged their asses with his car?

What are you asking?

heh yup.

is it just me or does she look like the character LIndsay Weir from Freaks and Geeks

Writers are man-children who see woman as above them.

Where is all this shit coming from ITT?

Anyway is prevalent because at some point everyone's pined for someone older when they were kids.
If we're talking about oneitis'a like Wendy it's because to young teens young adults look more beautiful and in their element than the teen'a peers.

Older kids are innately cooler with a few exceptions.

Because they're written by babymen who frequently revert to childhood

its called a crush. Never had one?

Dude, it's not weird. It's like how some women like older men and some like younger ones. It's probably not as deep-seated psychologically as we make out, either: women who are appreciably older than you might just be more confident and outgoing with someone younger because they feel like they're not outclassed, as girls are sometimes reserved around older people because they feel intimidated. There are exceptions, but it's a trend, and your dick likes one or the other.

I have no doubt that as I liked teenaged girls as a young boy and I like MILFs as a young man, I will want to screw very old ladies when I'm retirement age and have to learn all the tricks for not breaking their hips during sex.

Best cool older girl character.

It seems like you posted the wrong image friendo. Let me help you out

I feel like Wendy and Haruko would drunkenly fuck after a concert and be really chill about it the next day over waffles because they know it's just physical. But still fantasize about it happening again pretty often.

>older girl you have a crush on fucks the other older girl you have a crush on

That's some next-level cucking right there.

only in stuff for teen girls lusting after college guys, and the fucked up lesson is always that theyre 'dangerous' or something. nevermind that' show all of our dads met all of our moms

Is it really cucking if you want to fuck both the participants?

Not even the best one in that show
shoe-losing firestarter delinquent that babbles philosophy is best older girl. would furi her kuri

I was thinking more "fusion."

I know, I feel like I just stumbled onto a fetish I didn't know I have. Like, maybe you get with one of them and she explains that she is on no account going to stop having occasional hot sex with her cute friend and you're not invited because that's "girl time."

Everyone wants a cool big sister

you almost had something til the end.

>Kisses on the cheek aren't creepy at all. A guy could do it to a girl and it wouldn't be weird.
Not in my america'

>It's a someone waifus Haruko completely missing the point of the show and what a horrible person she is episode

It can be modified to suit tastes.

>it's a some people are in to that two-parter

Sometime after you get out of gradeschool you'll realize that people can recognize when stuff is bad for them and still want it. Probably when you notice that you couldn't stop at just one use of heroin.

Todd is pretty cool.

>what is personal responsibility
maybe if you hadnt adopted that all-purpose "do whatever you want as long as it doesn't immediately appear to hurt anyone" neopagan attitude and instead worried about absolute immutable morality from god on high, you wouldn't have gotten into that situation in the first place.

>you are now imagining what laura's period appropriate grunge look would be like if she was made now

>you are now imagining Laura on her period and letting him know how it works.

She does. Maybe that's why she seems so lovely. Such a good show.

Mine was my older cousin.

Anyone else notice that there are more examples of boys crushing on older girls instead of the other way around? Is there a taboo or are male writers just writing about their experiences? I can't think of many examples of female characters crushing on older guys. Ginger liking her teacher and Meg liking the Mayor (or was it Brian?) are the only ones that come to mind.

I don't get it. Male example are super common. Mac and Frankie, Dipper and Wendy, Wayne and Monique, etc

I bet you'd be fun at parties, if anyone ever invited you to them.

Older girls are cool.

>invited
is THAT how you go to parties?

>not a love story about two girls meeting each other because of the one boy who is crushing on them both

dipper didn't get this at all

Why do the "cool older girl" characters never get cool exits?

>Bye, I'm off to motorcycle around Asia.

Wasn't there an older man Lisa pined after in the Simpsons? It was creepy or something.

That's something I noticed too. Girls crushing on older guys are portrayed more dorkyly or creepy than boys crushing on older guys. It's a weird idea.

>Is there a taboo
>male writers just writing about their experiences?

Pretty much both of these. Alex Hirsch talked about being the last kid to hit puberty in HS and being photographed standing next to the tallest girl for yearbook. He's carried that frustration-boner ever since.

Younger female protagonists crushing on older guys makes the audience and writers uncomfortable, and same-sex but different-age crushes would be almost impossible to get past Standards & Practices.

Though Gravity Falls did have Mabel crushing on boys that were at least taller than her and a year older. Norman, and Gabe the Puppet guy.

As a woman I don't get the double standard at all. Plenty of girls have crushes on older guys growing up. Why does it make people uncomfortable? It's just unrequited puppy love

marcie and peppermint patty style? that works.

It wasn't creepy at all. The closest is how sort of shocked he was at this girl basically BEING an adult, at 8, and how he wished he could have kind of an adult friendship with her, and help her out with her pathologically low opinion of people around her other than himself.
but as a substitute, all he could really do is be inspirational before leaving again.

Not to be a dick or anything but 'as a woman' you need to be piping up more when people accuse guys of being creeps, instead of either staying quiet or joining in the mob. Because basically you have all the power. If you say something's okay, it's okay. if you complain that it makes you uncomfortable, it's banned.

I mentioned my gender because maybe the issue is some sort of 'guy thing' I wouldn't get.

>story ends with no one getting what they actually want.

>I don't get the double standard at all.
>Plenty of girls have crushes on older guys growing up.

My best guess is entrenched social power imbalance.
1. Guys are seen as 'more likely' to take advantage of a younger girl's crush for sexual gain.
2. At the moment a lot of writers are male. writing a younger girl as having any kind of romantic interest in a (much) older guy would cause some uncomfortable questions during the editing process.

(and yes, we are aware that there are women out there who take advantage of boys.

>maybe the issue is some sort of 'guy thing' I wouldn't get.
Here's the copypasta most of us have been through:

>Here's how it works:

Childhood was also the only time most of us can remember women smiling when they looked at us, calling us cute, or wanting to hug us.
We grew up, and we became unattractive.
We’re big and scary enough to be potentially 'dangerous', but not handsome or interesting enough to be considered a romantic partner.
We want to go back to being adorable playmates instead of the unappealing neckbeards we are now

Cool, older, potentially magic girl.

Nah dude, it's basically your choice.
If you approve of something with your real life a-girl stamp, it gets tolerated more. If you don't, you get your own subway car.

heh. Dipper didn't get any ass whatsoever. While Mabel was a fucking sperm bank.

It's mostly men who write this stuff, so think of what your dad would say if you were in middle school and he found out you were chasing a high schooler or a college aged guy. That's basically the perspective all this stuff is written from.

That is really the weirdest thing of all. Like, I get that women are brainwashed by Lifetime into fearing men and their desires, so they withhold the positivity they would otherwise lavish upon us at our very presence, and this drives us nuts and turns us into frustrated and wild beasts..
But why the shit and WHEN the shit did men start doing it to each other as well, overprotecting their own daughters? What happened to finding a nice guy to marry her off to and being happy your X chromosome is seeing some use? Is it really that hard to see yourself in others? Is empathy dead?

Kenan & kel did it

Do people fear every guy is gonna take advantage of their daughter? It's just a crush.

Overprotective dads have existed forever.

God, he even got an entire episode about how he was scum and should never try to get a girl ever.
What the fuck was that about?

He absolutely nothing but what Mabel literally does with no consequences often at Dippers expense for at least three episodes and gets fucking raked over the coals for trying to learn how to talk to girls. The thing that not learning is probably why Ford ended up listening to a sentient nightmare meme and building a doomsday portal.

Legend of Korra.

>It's a someone waifus Ramona completely missing the point of the comic and what a horrible person she is issue
Your point?

>not liking Lisa

>raked over the coals for trying to learn how to talk to girls.
Still mad.
>pickup artists are bad!
>channel this lesson through a heartbroken 12 year old
>just trying to make friends and be less awkward

>you have photos of a close friend that you have weekly movie nights with?!
>what a creep!

its why GF is mediocre to me. They dropped the ball after that episode. Thanks Alex for another generation of betafags.

Meanwhile

>Mabel doesn't beleive here date is a supernatural entity and goes on long walks into the forest with him anyway.
>Mabel ignores the fact that a malignant sentient nightmare has possessed her brother so she can try to impress a mentally imbalanced guy with her puppet show.
>Mabel, when placed inside a magic realm that she can control, replaces her brother with sunglasses wearing enabler with no personality.
>Routinely goes through her brothers stuff
>Emotionally guilt trips her brother into losing his job at the pool. For a good cause at least.

Literally never called out on anything ever on this stuff.

Here's an idea, stop caring and let women have autonomy over their own bodies instead of sounding absolutely creepy. You're sucking the charisma out of life by thinking the human race's whole purpose is to multiply.

I have to give the benefit of the doubt and think it was just done for plot. writing is hard, and at this point they were just trying to finish up and get everything important in, because Alex was burnt out.
I mean they did something even dumber, having Dipper act as if it creeped him out that a cute little girl on a bigwheel thought he was cute.

Source?

It was a terrible episode and literally just filler. I would have preferred an episode to give Wendy more character, like concentrate on what she's doing whilst Stand and the Kids are off defacing other rival attractions. Give Robbie some more characterisation, let's take a look at how Gideon is getting on in prison, what do Candy and Grenda do when they're not with Mabel?
Hell, how about an episode where Grunkle Ford regales them with short stories of his adventures?

Literally anything would have been better than what we got.
Also, not letting Stan be Mayor was bullshit. Llammacide is a victimless crime and we all know it.

Hat swap

>Llammacide is a victimless crime
No no, you're thinking of necrollammaphilia.

>episode to give Wendy more character
Hirsch mentioned one about Stan training Wendy as an apprentice pickpocket. I would have loved to see her interact with her Dad and brothers, save Dipper from a monster, etc.

I wonder if her VA being in Age of Ultron was part of why we got no Wendy plots but two Soos plots. If we saw how many Wendy plots Hirsch has in his folder, we'd probably rage.

>Hat swap
youtube.com/watch?v=yuedZ1Y_dU4

> Not sure if Heroin addict apologize or actual Heroin addict

Fuck off scum, not everyone is an animalistic piece of trash like yourself.

I got nothing against Soos getting episodes. We all love Soos here. But we could have easily dropped the Road Trip episode in favour of a Wendy Episode, and there's probably a few more we could have dropped as well in favour of more Wendy centric episodes, anything to give her some character.
Like, maybe drop the Love God episode? Or turn it into a full Robbie centered episode instead of a Mabel episode. Just have Robbie go all out trying to get Wendy back, but ends up with Tambry instead.

bikini cowboy

Because older girls are cool by default.
Only fags befriend and date younger girls.

god i hated the love god episode

Cartoonists are emotionally maladjusted people with lots of regrets and baggage.

That cute older tomboy next door that moved to another state a few years later is one of them.

EVERYBODY hated the Love God episode. Especially how Mabel once again doesn't get called out on being in the wrong.

And yet Dipper? If he'd tried that shit people would have literally nailed him to a cross. Being Dipper is literally suffering.
Hell the guy can't even fucking play D&D&D with his new Grunkle in fucking peace. Although in fairness there was a lot of unresolved tension going on in the house at that time.

Well, the actual Love God called Mabel out. Not saying it's a good episode, though, I just got a degree of satisfaction from that moment.

>What is it with the "cool older girl" trope in cartoons?

This isn't even a thing

Sounds like Adventure Time in a nutshell

Just two things I'd like to point out:

>Mabel ignores the fact that a malignant sentient nightmare has possessed her brother so she can try to impress a mentally imbalanced guy with her puppet show.
Like everyone else, she didn't know he was possessed until sock Dipper told her, and as soon as he did, she went to go stop Bill and find the journal. She didn't ignore the possession at all.

>Mabel, when placed inside a magic realm that she can control, replaces her brother with sunglasses wearing enabler with no personality.
It's implied she was under a subtle form of mind control, which is why, after Dipper breaks Bill's hold on her, she reacts as though she just woke up from a drunken stupor.

>implied she was under a subtle form of mind control,
it would have been cool if as Soos & Wendy were each seduced, their symbols appeared on the surface of bubble.
It would have given the audience more tension if the pine tree was slowly forming during "The Last Temptation of Dipper"
On the other hand, each second of screentime counts, and that would have made it obvious to the audience that she wasn't the real Wendy. The way they did it made it more of a gut punch to the last remaining WenDip fans.

>the human race's whole purpose is to multiply.
But that's true though, we're just dumb horny monkeys with nuclear weapons.

Only partly true. The human race can afford to be more selective than just "dick everything".
Quality over quantity.

>it's a "someone forgot that the story is told and written around a child protagonist and an audience that is supposed to empathize with them" episode

>trope
fuck off

He has a point tho.
You're the sexual selector, you chose what male behaviors are cute/attractive and what make behaviors are "creepy", "rapey", "inappropiate", etc.

Yes it is...are you new to cartoons?

thread just have like three examples and some weeaboo shit

There is no such trope.

>OP posts an example of trope
>tripfag says trope doesn't exist whilst quoting the post that has the picture of the trope that he says doesn't exist.
A+ effort, buddy. Good job.