/lang/ - Language learning general

Esperanto is a meme edition
General for language learners to communicate with native speakers, ask questions and discuss their language/languages of study. There are no bad questions.

Other urls found in this thread:

vocaroo.com/i/s1sfFM4c5Oa8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Why cant I be 200 IQ photographic memory genius who knows every language.
feels bad

I'm trying to grow my Spanish, but my foundations are rusty and lurking only helps understanding.

I'm considering buying some used textbooks, the ones I learned in high school, but are there any better recommendations?

Do not learn the Russian language

Ngl it would be better if everyone had to learn an easy language like Esperanto

why friend?
I had spanish classes in school for 7 years and I still don't know shit.

I feel sorry for you Germans. Whenever I watch your news channels on youtube it is nothing but constant propaganda.

>why friend?
Because, useless and unnecessary language.

You can't make me not learn Russian.

Memrise is really good for building your vocabulary. It's what I am using for that purpose. For grammar I am going to use Pimsleur mainly, I have the conversational edition but I think I am just going to pirate the full normal ones.

I know it doesn't mean much, but I have been studying Spanish for about 2 weeks now, and today on the ride home I was able to pick out and translate a few sentences from the music I was listening to. It's not very significant but god damn did it feel good to Google my guesses and have them be correct. Few more weeks and I can start watching basic tv in Spanish :)

> tfw no qt Spanish gf

I can partially follow what people say in /lat/, but it's hard to learn and relearn words and conjugations over and over, especially when I think I'm missing some fundamentals.

I figure textbooks might be a better solution.

Yep, Sup Forums is more objective at this point, but your news channels aren't that much better (Fox news, CNN)

> tfw no qt Irish gf

>You can't make me not learn Russian.

I think you trying to trick me. Now I must learn Russian and find out your secrets.

What is a good German grammar book?
Swiss user need not apply
Also any other tips for getting the hang of German grammar?

>find out your secrets
What secrets are you talking about?

пepecтaньтe гoвopить, гoйи знaют

Ours are propaganda machines but you guys take it to another level. The stories just go in a circle from poor refugees to ww2 propaganda to evil German racism.
Even all the adverts are propaganda. I just watched one where it showed happy white people living their lives doing things like watering grass & buying food.
Then it showed all the poor brown people who can't have nice things because you use them all.

How often do you use them? I used duolingo for a short while, but it wasn't too helpful, and slotted poorly into my schedule.

Do those cost much? I'm unfamiliar, and a bit uncomfortable, with programs.

>2 weeks
>tv
I spent two years in school, and can hardly understand weebs talking anime and no gf

> slotted poorly into my schedule

How? It's designed to be doable in just a few mins a day. It may not be comprehensive but its okay to get you started imo. Pimsleur is pretty expensive, but if you are going to spend money, I have heard the Assimil series is fantastic.

And no, I can't watch tv yet, not even close. At this rate hopefully I can in 2-4 weeks though. Just have to get past the difficult base and then learning becomes much easier.

Necessity motivates me. I need no other languages right now, so nagging apps are more annoying than helpful.

I guess programs or textbooks won't change that, though. I love English, and enjoyed Spanish, but purposeless learning is challenging. A few years have passed, and I've never needed it, and hardly wanted it.

I hardly know any Russian and I figured out what that means.

Motivation is a companion that will let you down time and time again in life. Motivation isn't what makes ones succeed, discipline is.

Discipline will be there for you when motivation leaves you, discipline will get you through the bleh day. Although if you don't want to learn it that's on you, I can't wait to be trilingual myself once I learn Spanish.

> tfw no redhead gf

bump

I disagree. Sculpting motivation is better than imposing discipline. Want drives harder than should; my success comes from routing motivation towards positivity.

Exercising, for example: I got fit not because I should have, but because I wanted strength. One approach disheartening and demotivating, and the other is invigorating. Wanting utility comes naturally.

I'm sure that's true of you, too. Do you use your language often, or enjoy learning? I can't imagine you'd continue if you didn't

Motivation isn't something you can control though. Discipline is ( if you have it ). You're stating that letting your whims take you where they please is better than being a man and doing what has to be done.

How you feel on the topic isn't really important. It's hours of hard work that get you where you need to be. I don't want to be a dick, but you have the mentality of a woman. A man does something because it should be done, a woman does something because she wants to.

Your last 2 digits are how long you have to study today.

> mfw already studied more than possible today

POWERFUL digits

You misunderstand. Molding motivation, aligning your wants and goals, keeps you happy and productive. Directing and riding motivation towards productivity means better work and outlook. They're not hours of work, they're hours of pleasure.

If your shoulds and wants match, you're living better

Ah okay, yeah I partially agree with that. I love traveling and I love brown women, so I am using Spanish to better my life significantly. So in a way I have both aligned.

burp

hmmm

guess i'll die

to tag on to this, i feel like if you push through the bleh and unmotivated days, things dont stick as well. It's like you just want to finish as fast as possible. As long as you have an overall positive motivation, you shouldn't kick yourself for taking days here and there to chill when you're momentary motivation is at a low

Hello, /lang/. I am here to answer your questions about the Russian language.

Why haven't you learned 30 languages for 300+ days, or 3 languages for 1000+ days?

Why so much autistic rules ?
I feel like i'm learning french

Why is your 'e' /je/ but 'э' is /ɛ/. What the fuck's that all about.

Is this woman calling Benny a louse?

> Ich möchte mal wissen was du Lause Benny versteckt hast.

Do you like when foreigners learn your language? I find a lot of Russians don't like it.

It doesn't bother me at all
What's wrong with that?
That's funny because I am learning French right now and I don't understand a lot of the rules

Not that user, but why the hell not.
'e' is pronounced as /je/ only if it's in the beggining of a word and after 'Ь'. Otherwise it's indicates the softness of the previous consonant and sounds like /ɛ/. Same with 'Э' but the other way around. Most of the vowels in Russian are actually paired as a vowel and 'Й' + vowel. Once you get the hang of it it's quite easy.
Learning Russian is suffering.
Why would anyone dislike a person that is interested in your language?