Why do people say the Phantom Menace looks bad? The CGI in that is actually really good for 1999

Why do people say the Phantom Menace looks bad? The CGI in that is actually really good for 1999.

How Attack of the Clones looks so much faker is beyond me.

I agree with, OP. It was the best CGI imho of the prequels. The problem with '1' and the prequels generally was the lack of character development and a compelling plot that properly informed on the original trilogy.

this is autism
and this is samefag

>The problem with '1' and the prequels generally was the lack of character development and a compelling plot that properly informed on the original trilogy.
Qui Gon having faith in Anakin that he is the chosen one and all the scenes on Naboo were brilliant! I really enjoy rewatching those scenes and maybe if they spend more time on Naboo and had something else to the story with less Jar Jar then people wouldn't have criticized it so much.

More Darth Maul was definitely needed such as more scenes of him spying.

>being so butthurt that someone likes a movie you don't

If you really think this CGI from 2017 looks better than Lucas's Phantom Menace CGI... you are wrong

hello, autist OP!

This is where we part ways. I don't see why Qui Gon was even necessary. Throughout the entire original trilogy Obi Wan referred to Yoda as his master. Although I did like the Qui Gon character, I don't see what use he was. Imagine an alternate opening to '1'. Instead of JEdi master Qui Gon and apprentice young Obi Wan, imagine Jedi master Obi Wan and his young adult apprentice Anakin Skywalker being the primary protagonists of the prequel trilogies. Did we need to see anakin as a kid? Also, instead of creating the planet of Naboo, wouldn't the plot of '1' have informed on the original trilogy much better if the plot was something like "...trouble on Alderaan." In '4' when we see Tarkin destroy Alderaan we should watch that scene with new eyes. It should be a punch to the gut for the audience.

Phantom Menace has some dated CGI, but it still has a pretty significant number of miniatures and real sets, and it was still shot on actual film.

It wasn't until Attack of the Clones that George went fucking insane with CGI chairs and desks.

>How Attack of the Clones looks so much faker is beyond me
It was the first major film to go with 100% digital cameras, they sucked. The ones the used had 1080p max resolution. Some were 720p. But at the time it was "cutting edge". Traditional film looks way better, even now.

what you're looking at here is a miniature. only the background, the space ships and the tiny humans are cg.

>It wasn't until Attack of the Clones that George went fucking insane with CGI
Protip: Clones used more models than any of the prequels. It was the shitty cameras mostly, Clones still used real locations, but the 100% CGI ones indeed do stick out like a sore thumb.

"you fought for my father during the clone wars" maybe the whole prequel trilogy could involve alderaan more. The planetary leader is Bros with Obi-Wan so he's got a friend in a high place, maybe giving him a tip as to not walk into the trap / Jedi genocide. Also we should see
Anakin abandoning his training in a vulnerable place in his life, which is why Obi-Wan and Yoda warned Luke so much because hindsight is 20/20

>what you're looking at here is a miniature. only the background, the space ships and the tiny humans are cg
The fedoration ships were all practical and however the special effects department made them blow up was so freakin good. As a good I'd keep replaying that scene back with how visually delightful it was.

Sorry I can't find the fedoration ship miniature image at the moment

Alien Covenant too used digital cameras. Maybe that's why everything looks so shit too

Non landscape CGI has aged poorly imo.

Phantom Menace is the only good Star Wars entry.

I forget where I read it but there was an interview with some cg dude I heard where he was talking about how in that movie they had to make all the lighting seem super artificial because cgi was really bad at mimicking interior lighting at that time. Most of the cg in ep 1 is outdoors.

Exactly. Just tell the same story in reverse, hit the same chords so the characters have some actual depth and get us to care about them, and again, INFORM on the original trilogy. This can be accomplished by bringing in characters from the original trilogy into the prequels. Not just Yoda and Obi Wan, but a young Lt. Reiken and young Mon Mothma (she had a brief scene that was cut from '3'.)

"Trouble on Alderaan" was the missed plot opportunity.

>the crowd for the podrace was colored q-tips placed in the miniature stadium and compressed air was blasted in from below to make them jump up and down to "cheer"

>"The Star Wars games of today look so much better than the prequel CG..."

APOLOGIZE RIGHT NOW!!

The waterfalls in naboo minatures like Op's pic were actually just salt pouring through a spout

>they had to make all the lighting seem super artificial because cgi was really bad at mimicking interior lighting at that time.
Yeah this explains it.

I don't have the image but there is a scene in Episode 3 before Obi goes down to find Grevious where he is talking to some clones and the lighting is so bad that it makes the clones look so artificial.

Now just look at this image:
This lighting here looks so realistic so that must be from the outside as the cg guy said, whilst the Episode 3 scene I am referring to, all the lighting must be in the computer.

Really sucks that Lucas didn't compare the lighting and go "NO WE NEED TO DO IT PRACTICAL!"

But as someone who has edited a film for college assignments: you really need to show your film to other people instead of just watching it yourself because you can get so attached to it where you believe everything looks decent but then the general public who see it for first time can immediately see that it doesn't look so good.

Could even delve into Obi-Wan not accepting vader is Anakin. Show how much they got along and Anakin winning most the fights for them. Then Obi-Wan faces a new enemy, Vader, and after being beaten by Vader Obi-Wan is given the opportunity to join him. Ben refuses. Vader reveals he's Anakin and it mentally ruins Obi-Wan.

Mustafar had practicals too but sadly the CGI department CGI'd so much over the practicals. I was watching the making of and they showed the before and after and you can see how many more layers were added over the practicals.

Why they did this...

>what I told you was true from a certain point of view

Pottery

The practical lighting gives it so much more of a natural feel. I guess nowadays it takes too long to set things up practical

THIS LOOKS SO FUCKING GOOD

Uncle Owen was literally Anakins brother who had to go into hiding after the war. Keeps it simple. Owen lost his old life, and his brother became the galaxys worst terror, so obviously he's got strong opinions about Obi-Wan for letting it happen
>I don't think he exists
>that wizards just a crazy old man
>I told you to forget it

It doesn't look bad, as in budget CGI. It just looks lifeless. Blasters going off, Droid getting cut down, and everything looks pristine. It's subconscious, but it's there