How come you never hear about Roman philosophers? It's all ways Greeks. Is there even one famous Roman philosopher...

How come you never hear about Roman philosophers? It's all ways Greeks. Is there even one famous Roman philosopher? I bet you can name more East Asian philosophers than Roman ones.

Markus Aurelius, you faggot.

Because they weren't that great.

Because they were busy doing useful shit.

Seneca, Cicero,

came here to say this:

first one who came to mind, but I'm sure there were plenty of others. Didn't Cicero contribute to philosophy?

Fuck, beat me to it. Have you read Meditations? If so, would you reccomend it to someone whose hoping to get into philosophy?

Stoics got big after the fall of Greece.

Lucrecia too.

It's because nobody likes the Stoics.

Roman contribution was structure.

Why out-greek the Greek? They were already good at it.

dave maximus

It's boring don't bother, bunch of God shit

Read Epictetus and Boethius

Romans as well. Epictetus was a Roman slave from Greece. Anyways, Plato is a good start.

Romans got the solar system though.

Have read, wouldn't recommend.

Start with the Socratic Dialogs if you want a source primer for an intro to philosophy.

If you'd like an easy read intro to phil, look for Nagel's "What does it all mean?"

Plato and Socrates are huge faggots, their philosophy is bunk, and should only be briefly mentioned as a footnote of history.

Epictetus, Diogenes, and Marcus Aurelius are famous Roman philosophers.

kek

Platos critias and symposium are good short ones

The footnote saying that all the others came from them.

Thanks guys.

None of the plebs you guys are mentioning were as influential as even one Greek like Plato or whatever.

A casual like you would conflate recognizability with influentiality.

The Romans were too busy doing actual important shit to bother with inconsequential philosophical ramblings but regardless, Cicero, Aurelius, plenty of god tier historians too. Rome kicks Greece's ass in every direction.

That is extremely ignorant. Some of the core structures of how we view the world come from Plato. Neoplatonism heavily informs Christianity. Plato founded the first university. Studying the history of philosophy is like peeling back layers of an onion for the western conception of the universe.

>inconsequential philosophical ramblings
Those rambling literally expanded the consciousness of western humans and created all we have now. And no, Rome does not equal Greece in philosophy, not even close.

Rome just reached its height later than Greece, so the Romans naturally were very influenced by Greek thinkers.

A lot of important Roman writings were more practical works. De Re Militari by Renatus was influential for literally centuries. It was apparently still used for strategy and stuff as late as the 19th century. Pretty good for something wrote in the late 4th century.

Cato the Elder, Cicero, Senecca, Marcus Aurelius, Plotinus.

Roman schools of thought were Stoicism, Epicureanism, Cynicism, Neoplatonism

>American education
I bet you didn't even have Latin in HS brainlet.

Roman philsophers were mainly concerned with practical application of Hellenistic Philosophy, not egghead ideas about how the world was made ect.

A good example of Roman philosophy is from the Greek slave Epicurius, who taught and was widely popular with the Roman elite. which was actually popular with Catholics in the middle ages.

For example in his discourses
For example: he explains why his students shouldnt't commit suicide. He tells a story about traveling all this fucking way to Olympia to see the Polympic games and the seat is far back, and it's wet, and it's really miserably hot out, he has a bad view and the ride there was complete shit basically. And he says the reason why I won't kill myself is because "I got all this fucking way here and went through all this shit I don't deserve, maybe I should just get up an d leave before it starts. but you know what. I might as well see the game. After everything I've been through I deserve to see how this ends.

Some of his ideas are very compatible with Christianity and sound like Paul in certain areas. BUT he is a pagan and his worldview is somewhat sadder and believed some dreams can never be achieved because it's impossible, because Zeus wouldn't provide.
so read with CAUTION

Another favoe coming up from him

He said that if God does not desire ultimatley for all men to be happy and healthy then nihilism.

He also made a great about Nihilism, about how the Epicurean Nihilists gave a damn if there slaves served them hot soup, how giving a damn is impossible to escape, it's a in escaple part of reality, having everything matter, no matter what.

He also praised the Cynics, like Diogenes for their Aestheticism, denying t hemselves, that it was admirable. But he goes onto say that living such a harsh lifestyle won't benefit anyone if you do it out of obligation, that denial is not beneficial unless you are actually into it, as in it's a pleasurable activity. That it can't make you better as a person but it's for basically those who get off to it. Which sounds like Paul

The desert fathers made similar comments, saying that there are those who try to deny themselves, but they do it for the wrong reasons.

This is essential in Roman Philosophy. Why you do anything, and it's just consequences.

The greeks were more obsessed with their intellectualism and their wonder of the universe, and their strange ideas about how physics worked and their sciences. This is why the Greeks failed. This is their failure.

Aristotle was different to a degree but I find Roman philosophy superior. in this fashion. It's more of "But does it work? Will it help my life?" You can see Paul applying this sort of framework when preaching to the Roman world, his letters have a pragmatism to them. Not utilitarianism, but seeing what good and evil do, and the consequences of it.

Like we see how Athiesm turns men into edgelord fedoras and feminism turns women into total cunts, and that never changes. The play by Aristophanes, Clouds is about Socrates is just a con man teaching young Athenians useless knowledge about the natural world, and about their elite Athieism, how they don't need the gods anymore, they have their science and philosophy and intellectualism, about how they are "enlightened" aka brought up to the clouds.

It's fucking hilarious, fedoras have been around forever. Greek philosophy has great high notes but I think it is over rated. I've read so much of their work.

Not to mention Plato wanted to ban families and create a Toltalitarian state that forced people into orgies so nobody would know who the dad is.

The greeks were pretty messed up at some points senpai, muh philosphy included.

Diogenes was the best though

oh btw, Aristophanes, who wrote the play about Socrates being a total Jew,

he knew Socrates personally and Plato. Plato mentioned this and Plutarch I believe. He belonged to some political movement about upholding Democracy (against Plato) and holding onto ancient Greek traditiosn and being conservatives.

Clouds ends with Greeks burning down the school and its' fucking great and funny as fuck.

gr8 b8 m8, i r8 8/8

Also there's this book I can't remember the name.

But Socrates was killed not for his enlightend philosophy as some would have you believe like Plato.

He was actually involved in a coup to overthrow democracy in Athens and he was executed for this reason. He refused to resist arrest because people hated him and he wouldn't survive long out in the Athenian countryside.

Old Comedy (funniest most offensive greek comedey) came to an end when Athens lost the war to Sparta, who were Toltalitarian Aristocrats, like Plato and Socrates, who wanted to end free speech.

I don't think monarchy is a bad idea in of itself but democracy was being fucking around with in Athens to bring it down and these fuckers could not be trusted with power for too long without pressure from the masses,

Oh and Deus Vult. God is coming

Shit not Epicurus, WRONG NAME.

EPICTETUS

SORRY

Cicero was pretty open about philosophy. Got him in trouble too.

its the best one dont listen to all these fedora fags

I took it over the summer thinking it would be interesting. I wouldn't recommend it, it's pretty boring and yields nothing of real interest. Socratic dialogues were a mind fuck but else is pretty eh.

I think what was the last fuck up with him was not his philosophy, but what he said about Octavian, who wanted to spare him from the Proscriptions, but wrote in a letter that he in his friends were to praise Octavian and then kill him. Before that Octavian was holding Mark Antony back from killing him

Cicero contributed much to political philosophy, poetry and rhetoric.

His politics got him trouble, yes. But politics is a form of philosophy.

Discourses by epictetus
Nicomachean Ethics by Aristotle and read lots of Aristotle too, other stuff would be good
Plato of course, Phaedo is shit though. Republic is a creepy read. Just warning
Read Clouds by Aristophanes, it's about Socrates and he knew Socrates personally
Read about Diogenes
Read all of the Pre socratics before getting into Socrates, Plato and Aristotle, because a lot of their work is response to previous literature
Read the sophists it's literally how to be a jew with your words, All politicians read up on this in the ancient world.
Yes Meditations,
Skeptics are shit but you may want a glance over if you really want.
There's a ton of other stuff but that's off the top of my head

This a good start.

Plotinus was greek irrc, although he was one of St. Augustine's main influences, who was a latin author, albeit at the very end of antiquity before Rome's fall.

Also Aristotle's end of Nico. Ethics is bullshit, He says the greatest Joy is "Comtemplation of the self" or it was "Contemplating Contemlpation."

So remember they're not spiritual teachers. They get things wrong a lot! Especially Plato, Aristotle is famous for rebuking Plato endlessly.

Also anything by Romans is really a response to famous Greek shit. I've read way more Greek than roman. I have plenty more to read and I read mostly everything chronologically. So I'm dead sure there's another great philosopher from Rome that's great. But it's alte and I don't rememnber.

Also Saint Paul of course, he preached to the Romans and has very important points on the philosophy of Law. People don't realize this but Paul's religious points about Christianity are great philosophical points too, like the nature and purpose of the law and about obligation, spirit of the law versus the letter. It's amazing. Read his letters.

Rome did produce some great historians: Livy, Sallust, and Tacitus.

>It`s an american
Already knew it when I saw the Thread in the catalog

It's true, his reasons were tied up in that

Greeks were better at thinking in the abstract while Romans were better at thinking in the concrete.
Greeks were thinkers, Romans were builders.

Yep, this

>quality points
is that like good boy points?

>Ctrl+F
>no Virgil
for shame Sup Forums

his Annals are literally canon for Roman History.

he was the zeitgeist of Rome in literary form.

Streaming Zulu now

MEN OF HARLECH STOP YE DREAMING

Greek philosophers are at the start of the semester. By the time Roman philosophy rolls around, everyone's classes have started getting more difficult and general work ethic has declined as students are looking forward to break.

Haha idk, just drunk shitposting desu

And for the Love of God ALmighty READ BOETHIUS

A Roman Christian Senator from after Rome fianlly fell to the Germanic tribes, It's really good,

romans were too busy empiring and slaving.
Greeks were more thinkers.

>I bet you didn't even have Latin in HS brainlet.
The HS I went to had it lel

unfortunately history tends to be based a lot on habit.

people just repeat the same stories they were told. some people are totally forgotten. its just how it is. all there is is the archetype.

They were too busy conquering.

You onna dem Afrocentrists?

Didn't the Greeks discover basic steam power before their civilization waned?

While the Greeks were philosophizing... the Romans were conquering them. The pen is mightier than the sword is just a meme.

Augustine if you count other western Roman territories

Half-breed christcuck

>All ways

The word you're looking for is "always". Do you need to go back to grade school English class?

kys illiterate fuck.

Don't lose your head Miguel

mulier malum est, sed necessarium malum

>After everything I've been through I deserve to see how this ends.

that resonates deeply.

I've recently considered studying philosophy in a light manner since I've started reading the life of enoch powell (very influencial greek scholar before his military and political careers) and the greek language

>fatmeritard cuckducation