What is your opinion of Snyder's cape films?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/5oltd-Jsi2I
imdb.com/title/tt0831887/
ew.com/article/2008/07/17/watchmen-chat-director-zack-snyder/2
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Goddamn, I knew you were talking about movies and I still got confused as fuck wondering when Scott Snyder made cape films. This shit fucks me up every damn time.

Zack Snyder thread?

What the fuck is kino?

He just doesn't get the source material.

Like...at all.

German for "cinema", Sup Forums speak for "shit film people will pretend is good ironically"

Uniformly awful.

His movies are not as deep as he thinks they are. Serious takes on superheroes and why they do what they do have been done before and done better.

He does get some cool shots though I'll give him that.

I dont like them. watchmen is meeh and the other two are shit

Ah, so it's terrible like almost every other Sup Forums meme.

What do you mean?

Well, Man of Steel for starters.

And Batman killing people.

He's just doing a gritty take on the heroes. Didn't batman kill people in the dark Knight rises?

Yes, but Frank Miller's is not a good version to base anything off of.

And Superman shouldn't be gritty. He should be a bright, shining example of everything good about humanity. A symbol of hope. Someone to inspire.

MoS Supes was miserable, only gave a crap about Lois, and had parents who taught him not to stick his neck out for anyone.

That's not an excuse, they shouldn't have had batman kill anyone, did the not understand that normies would (and did) loose their shit over it

Shut up Boco your word has no value even if I agree a little.

Liking Zack Snyder is a meme.

Yes sir...

Watchmen had shit acting, probably not long enough to really be a serviceable adaptation

Man of Steel was pretty good and woulda been perfect if Pa Kent didn't suck/no retarded death scene and better colors. Superman helping rebuild Metropolis at the end would've been cool to see.

BvS is okay and could've been a lot better if they hadn't cut out Clark's scenes and gave a better reason for the fight

I get the Martha thing, but it came across as too goofy

>There are plenty of great movies out there that don't take sides on deep issues like how we must handle the consolidation of power given its corrosive nature. One such movie is Rocky. Another is The Little Mermaid. While those movies have some differences, they do have one big thing in common: They don't spend their first 30 minutes underlining, bolding, and italicizing the question "Can you be moral and all-powerful?" only to end with, "Well, we sure killed that monster that came from out of nowhere. Please enjoy all eight of our spinoffs/sequels.

I won't say who said this, but they hit the nail on the head with how BvS wasted its potential.

It was Cracked. Cracked said it.

MoS wasn't miserable, just lost and he cared too much about people. Did you even watch the movie?

If Clark never cared about people Lois wouldn't have found him. Checkmate, atheists.

I think they're garbage.

Cracked is wrong because BvS wasn't about how a character can be moral and all-powerful at the same time and the contradiction of it. Only someone as dumb as Lex would believe something like that.

>muh symbolism

None of this makes the movie good. Shit with symbolism is still shit.

The monster was Adam for luthor and Sir Mordred for Superman, and it's what makes batman the non-believer into a good man again.

Your post is stupid and Cracked missed the entire point. Doomsday has always being just a plot device, and in this case was one with a lot of meaning for anyone that wasnt a complete idiot.

The same opinion I have of all other cape films. Cancer.

An entry level intellectual pretending to be smarter than they actually are. Alternatively a cynical jackass who knows a certain group of teenagers and man children will eat up 'MATURE MOVIES FOR MATURE AUDIENCES' based on what was originally family/children's entertainment.

man isn't the worst director in hollywood but by god does he REALLY have to pretend his shitty cape movies are deep and interesting? Or that his take is somehow an improvement on the source material he doesn't even understand?

>None of this makes the movie good.

No you idiot. symbolism gave you exposition and context, it expands the motivations of the characters and when they are archetypical like batman or superman it shows paralels with classical arcs.

>Watchmen
youtu.be/5oltd-Jsi2I

>Hating Zack Snyder is a meme
ftfy

He's just doing Identity Crisis mentality on a big budget film scale. It's not that puzzling.

>The Spirit
A terrible adaptation, but a great love letter to golden and silver age comics with a modern twist.

>Watchmen
I like it, but it has a lot of flaws and is a terrible adaptation.

>MoS
I liked it more than most people, but I think it is just an ok movie.

BvS was about people and their preconceived notions about everything and how we, as people, will project our shit unto anything without ever stopping to question the truth.

How hard can people miss that? How?

But its still shit user

Or Final Crisis. Even the fucked-up pace Morrison stories have fits.

Wait, he did The Spirit? Huh.

No, Frank Miller did that.

Whoops no he didn't it was Miller.

imdb.com/title/tt0831887/

Thats what I figured. That thing was all Frank.

>Zack Snyder is genius!
Stop this meme. No he isn't. He gave Ozymandias nipples on his outfit as a joke about Batman and Robin. It wasn't clever, it didn't ad to the film. It was just a shitty joke that worsened the design of the character. And he probably made lots of decisions like that.

>And he probably made lots of decisions like that.

"Hey, ya know what would be fun? Lets kill off Jimmy Olsen, just to screw with the fans."

aHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Examples.

Does it literally bug you that much that they killed off Jimmy Olsen? Like, honestly? Who gives a shit about Jimmy Olsen.

That guy is extremely ignorant. His knowledge is above Sup Forums tier but for some reason he is confusing Ancient egypt and CLASSICAL egypt, you know the one Ozy was fan.

As for the rest Doc related violence was to make the viewer feel impotent, it was extremely supernatural, that's the whole point, while the movie has "too many fights" they were there to help the PACE of the movie, we get one quick fight at the start, so viewer can have a thrill in a very long movie that for an hour won't have any. The same for most of the other fights, they are product of the medium, it's not that they don't get the "violence is bad" meme, it's that without them the movie would feel extremely heavy (something BvS suffered).

Lots of things are not there just to look cool, they are there to make the experience easier.

Snyder is perfect for Morrison works. I hope Snyder gets to do the new gods, i would hate Johns messing them up.

Its not about the character. Its his his blase attitude in regards to the comics. His "do crazy shit on a whim" approach that goes against what people know the material for.

You'll trigger Morrisonfags.

Jimmy is just about as important as Lois Lane. Imagine if Lois Lane showed up for five seconds just to eat a bullet. People would fucking riot.

>Its not about the character. Its his his blase attitude in regards to the comics. His "do crazy shit on a whim" approach that goes against what people know the material for.

Idk I enjoy the Watchmen movie quite a bit

>Jimmy is just about as important as Lois Lane.

I love Jimmy, man, but that's a lie. He's less used in comics than fucking Perry White.

People only use Lois and Lana. That's it.

>Jimmy is just about as important as Lois Lane.
No he isnt.

>Look at this armor! This proves that Zack is a genius! I mean, I don't know he did this on purpose, but it's still proof!

I actually unironically love the Watchmen movie. And I used to love Snyder up until Sucker Punch, which was incredibly awful, and then MoS. I didn't even bother with BvS.

All creators do things on a whim, it's why we have the things we enjoy; because they got an idea and ran with it. And true, I know that Jimmy isn't his same self from the comics, but DC is built on the principle of a multiverse, and as a DC fan, I understand this is just a different interpretation of the characters I love and I enjoy that.

I mean, on that basis, I take it you hate all modern comics since the characters have changed from what the original audience knew them for?

Maybe in 1930, bro

>but DC is built on the principle of a multiverse, and as a DC fan, I understand this is just a different interpretation of the characters I love and I enjoy that.

Some people think that because it's a "Cinematic Universe" that it somehow counts more than other movies or that it is even the definitive canon.

>When people saw our version of the Ozymandias costume on the Internet, some were like, ”It’s like a Joel Schumacher Batman movie! The costume has nipples! That’s crazy!” And I’m like, ”Yeah, but that’s the point!”

ew.com/article/2008/07/17/watchmen-chat-director-zack-snyder/2

Again, its not that it was Jimmy. I'd feel the same way if he directed a Marvel film, or Transformers or something.

Its Snyder's mindset. That he can just say "screw it" and do whatever he feels like. It feels really unprofessional.

I'm pretty sure by the way people talk about it here that there are a lot of plebs who actually believe that live action is somehow superior to comics. That comics need to be adapted to be wholly realized or something. That things simply need to get movies or TV shows to matter. I wish they'd fuck off and leave Sup Forums.

see

Boco, if you want something that is exactly like or even mirrors the comic books, read the comics. It really the only way to appease most of the people on this board. The comics and movies don't have to mirror each other or even influence one another. Sure, they should be familiar, but they don't have to be exact copies. Because most of us don't want an exact copy, because if we wanted it that bad, we'd just read the actual material.

Pretty much.

My problem is not about the comics! Its about director's who change things on a whim because they're on a power trip.

You can change things from comics, thats fine. But at least have a plausible reason besides "for shits and giggles".

Jimmy wasn't even supposed to be in the movies. Jimmy had been replaced by Jenny during MoS..

But why even use these names and ip's if you don't want to create something that captures the flavor of them? Look at this shitty new Ben Hurr movie that completely ignores the classic one so it can be pointless action that will conveniently have a familiar name.

I love how all the Snyder shills haven't responded to this. The proof is too substantial.

>300

Pretty much perfect adaptation of the comic, pretty apparent why he got pulled to do Watchmen afterwards

>Watchmen

It's okay. It's a very different experience from the comics because it removes and shuffles around a lot of lines and scenes, which isn't really a good thing considering how deliberately constructed the original is. It's got some really great moments though and REALLY solid actor performances for the most part

>Man of Steel

Biggest problem is it's emotionally exhausting, particularly in the last act where it's like a solid 45 minutes of shit getting destroyed. It wears audiences thin. Again like Watchmen though, it's got a few moments of absolute brilliance. Too bad the rest of the movie doesn't click together well.

The Pa Kent tornado scene is indefensible. There's a hundred other ways they could've handled it less stupidly.

>Batman versus Superman

Fuck the haters, I loved it. Editing is schizophrenic and it carries over MoS' problem of Superman spending most of the movie being lectured to by other characters rather than speaking for himself though.

Overall, I think Snyder doesn't deserve all the hate he gets, but he definitely goes for style over substance and is more focused on the visual appeal of single memorable shots and scenes rather than building whole sequences to contribute to character and plot development.

People rejected the idea of Sup Forums of calling movies in different ways(film, cinema, flick) so they decided to make one to use it in a ironic way. But now the kino meme is in his post-ironic phase.

What about those people he saved?

I'm not sure about the comic - never read anything by Frank and will die at some point in the nebulous feature whispering this as they pile dirt over me.

But it was a decent film that had a bunch of meh or WTF bits (like the whole wife/senate/whore shit).

I'll leave your other two assessments alone. I've watched WM once and it was fine, again don't know the source material and really just not interested in another Nixon was wrong ethos informing something that might be relevant if it was somehow about something I was interested in now or in the recent past. But it was sufficiently entertaining and adequate as filmed entertainment.

I agree with you on MoS having that one particular problem. There were others. It did have some really nice visuals and a few really good moments here and there. Many other movies can say the same.

HOWEVER, BvS is incoherent nonsense. See 5 gazillion people's comments explaining it - I won't bother.

The main issue MoS have is that they don't embrace the general canon post COIE or at all, yet don't devise or embrace their own Imaginary Tale version of reality. They want to use a familiar and iconographic character (in the first movie) to tell their own story and wonder why it bites them in the ass.

Likewise in the second movie, just a bit less in some regards, but vehemently so in numerous others (Luthor, Bruce, etc.)

I really like that man of steel poster art OP's photo has, anywhere to buy it?

Zack Snyder is a hack.

wew lad

>Mashing together the two most overrated DC stories in recent memory
>Classic.

Nevermind found it, unfortunately it doesn't seem like the original artist ever intended to make posters for it

You think Martha came off as goofy? I saw it opening weekend and people laughed during the DING DING DING DING DING scene.
I even heard somebody say: "such a dissapointment" as i walked out of the theater.

A pool of shit is still deep.

he misunderstands comics on a fundamental level to the point where I'm pretty sure he doesn't actually read them, just flips through them looking for cool-looking scenes to adapt

wait, I thought that one Mutant he "shoots" was supposed to be him shooting her gun or something, though the pannel is a bit awkwardly done, and that mutant shows up alive and well later.

could be wrong though

Yes please. Snyder is my waifu and deserves protection and love. He made good movies for me and I am happy now.

you're right, because you know how to read

Symbolism adds to an already good film. Just like it did in BvS.

This is the kind of stuff I love Snyder for. He knows how to have fun. Living the dream.

All Snyders are geniuses. Someнow.

>Who gives a shit about Jimmy Olsen
Most Superman fans.

Superman was created that way.

>implying stopping fifth columnists isn't inspiring

Yeah. Alive.

That would have been hilarious! Man, Snyder should have thought of that.

What's the problem? He took one of the points of the Watchmen comic (which I personally don't agree with) and used it to add something to the costume. Just adding his own little flair, without hurting anyone. You hate fun?

user, Zack is literally saying it's a reference to Batman and Robin

>When people saw our version of the Ozymandias costume on the Internet, some were like, ”It’s like a Joel Schumacher Batman movie! The costume has nipples! That’s crazy!” And I’m like, ”Yeah, but that’s the point!” With their comic, Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons were saying, ”Superheroes are kinda funky, aren’t they?” We build upon that with a movie that acknowledges that superhero movies have affected pop culture.

Why even post the link if no one's going to read the full quote? Might as well just say "superheroes are kinda funky aren't they?" And leave it at that if you want to be an immoral journalist and badmouth Snyder.

You are idiot.