We Ted Wassanasong supposed to be Laotian or Chinese?

We Ted Wassanasong supposed to be Laotian or Chinese?

There are several episodes where he infers he's Laotian, but also he speaks Mandarin in other episodes.

Plot hole?

Maybe he just learned Mandarin for whatever reason.

maybe he speaks it for business purposes, I'm not sure what he actually does

It makes a lot of sense for an Asian business man to learn Madarin desu.

The head of the country club is also implied to be Laotian, but he also speaks Mandarin.

And in one seen Ted and him speak Mandarin together. Why would they speak Mandarin and not Laotian if they're both Laotian?

Super Nice!

probably couldn't get actors that spoke Laotian for whatever reason so they went with the next best thing

They speak mutually unintelligible dialects of Laotian. In an unaired flashback episode, Sneed uses this little fact to his advantage and buys Ted out of his share of the Feed and Seed shop.

Khan, you are what we call, a "banana".

He's a gook. Grandpa told me never to trust these slopes. So be warned, any chink speaking in multiple tongues is conspiring against you.

Laos probably has a large Chinese diaspora like the rest of South East Asia.

I mean, you're not wrong. Those Chinese want top dog spot, any means necessary

>Chinese *upper class*

Ftfy

Formerly Chuck's

>mfw the way he pronounces "banana"

日本は一番

They want to distance themselves from the lower-class Laotian riff-raff in Arlen and so speak a foreign language only the educated upper-class country club Laotians would be fluent in.

oh holy shit, NOW i get it

San Wasanasan was le ocean.

Why did a tiny town in rural south Texas have such a huge thriving Laotian community anyway?

because the country club was already there and Arlen is used as a commuter town to Dallas

Texas has a load of SEA people IRL, and AFAIK Vietnamese is the third most-spoken language

I wonder what laotians think think of their portrayal in KOTH?

>tfw your daughter marries son of fisherman

I WANT FRANK SINATRA AND TALK RADIO
DRAG AND DROP
DRAG AND DROP!

People who aren't from America typically learn to speak multiple languages fluently.

>I'm Laotian
>You're from the ocean, what ocean?

Rewatching KotH, I'm on season 6 and just watch the episode where Hank gets a fake ass. Fuck I laughed so hard when you first see it on him.

grew up in the South. went to a birthday party and one of the parents literally asked the asian kid this verbatim

The shot of hanks ass is even funnier, imo. Maybe its because I have a negative ass just like him

Ted's Laotian; there's a whole episode where he accuses Khan of forgetting his heritage and nearly has him sent back to Laos to die as a volunteer solider to prove himself.

The thing is that Ted also does WHATEVER it takes to secure his upper-class status. He even denounced Buddhism in favour of going Methodist because it was "good for business". Him learning Mandarin isn't a stretch if that's what the president of the country club speaks natively.

And as far as 9 River County Club is concerned, it was founded by the rich Asians in the area because the white country clubs wouldn't let them in.

>it's a Kahn becomes white trash episode

The head of the country club was Chinese, hence why he was speaking Chinese.

Ted himself was Laotian, as evidenced by the episode where he tries to get Kahn to embrace his roots at the cost of his materialistic things.

DEEPEST LORE

HEY KHAN, SOME FELLER WUZ TRYIN TO STEAL YER WASHIN MACHINE OUT THE FRONT YARD

>i had to learn urdu so I could understand my wife's bull

>Khan is an amazing kung fu fighting machine
>Let's just forget that episode where he was scared of two skinny teenage surfers and ran away

Hank's Taste the Feed, Not The Seed

Formerly Thatherton's

Lol...i thought this was a show that euro's didn't quite get...its come up in quite a few koth threads if I recall

To be honest I never understood Hank, and America in generals, obsession with propane bbqs.

The point of a BBQ is to use coals. If you're using a propane BBQ you're just cooking outside.

I'm European and I get koth, but I'm also English