Formalist Movies

What are some formalist movies? Highly stylized films not grounded in reality that place aesthetics and emotion over writing.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zbjSSyAo9WA
youtube.com/watch?v=pxuK4NQ2NHk
youtube.com/watch?v=fDfz-i1yCFc
youtube.com/watch?v=--oi-vdBFoQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

i dont know

Star Wars

NWR and Malick kinos.

Only God Forgives

Star Wars is fucking garbage.

>Formalism
Stop browsing Sup Forums, Moldbug and write another blog post

Que?

Schindler's List

Southland Tales
Miami Vice
Detention
Spring Breakers
Speed Racer
Gamer

Anything by Baz luhrmann

bumping again I want to get better at this
Maybe I should've used a Blade Runner pic for the OP

The Neon Demon
Enter The Void
Noah, maybe?

pic related

>Southland Tales
I've heard that movie is shit, but I keep wanting to watch it. It is any good?

Is this Noah?

Batman v Superman

No.

Drive has both aspects.

it is the perfect k i n o

Yes and it's the best scene in the movie.

Yes, desu

Oh look, it's someone who just watched a youtube essay and wants to flex his big boy vocabulary

Scott Pilgrim vs The World, not a single dull moment in that movie.

yeah, so? I just want to get better at understanding visual language.

The only movie in existence that HAD to be 3D.

It really is a decent movie

Bro, Speed Racer is not a Formalist film. It has way too much narrative to qualify.

Parajanov or Jancso films are Formalism, not the Wachowski Hollywood trash in OP pic. There's nothing that sets off my autism more than when people misuse academic terms and reveal themselves to be out of their depth.

Pleb.

>formalist movies
AKA postmodern Marxist bullshit. Fuck OP

Sorry about that, I just watched a video by a YouTube nu-male.
So Parajanov and Jancso, what else would you recommend?
Would Possession by Zulawski count? Or The Mirror by Tarkovsky?

Koyaanisqatsi?

I'd say Mirror by Tarkovsky is certainly more along those lines. Possession is even a little too, uh, I guess conventional, to be considered a Formalist work.

Depending on how avant-garde you're willing to get, stuff like this is Formalism.

youtube.com/watch?v=zbjSSyAo9WA

>Koyaanisqatsi?
Isn't that movie just a blurry slideshow

huh? official soviet film style was social realism. I WISH they did more formalist stuff after the 20s.

My understanding was (again this was from a YouTube video) that formalism in film is the opposite of realism in film, so movies that don't try to mimic real life or are based in how reality works.

I'm not looking for completely incoherent (for me) formalist films like this, just movies closer on the spectrum to formalism. And movies that focus on creating a mood and appealing to emotion, I want to better understand visual language in film.

that doesnt sound like a good definiation of formalism at all. my understanding is it reproaches structure which is taken largely from literature narrative and approaches film from a visual art perspective. am i retarded.

No I'm basing everything I know off a YouTube pleb.

youtube.com/watch?v=pxuK4NQ2NHk

Are formalist movies kino or film?

bump

Kino

It's a masterpiece.

Beyond the Black Rainbow, maybe?

Antichrist
Melancholia
Much of David Lynch's work

The Raid was a gritty martial arts/action movie. The sequel was batshit fucking crazy. In a good way.

what does that have to do with anything

>formalism
Did you mean over-stylized?

Malick I guess. Also Piavoli definitely

> formalist
> big boy vocabulary

Don't come back here until you finish school pleb.

Basically.

What about pic related though?

*farts in your face*

Some of the finest kino in existence is formalist.

Ultraviolet
Aeon Flux

You seem sincere OP so I will give you some advice: stop saying formalism and post more of what you like and are looking for. There's a lot of good recommendations already.

I was just trying to get as many recommendations as possible and I was trying to be accurate.
I'm looking for movies that focus on evoking moods and emotions through sounds and aesthetics rather than movies based around writing and acting, I don't have an example of that.
And movies that aren't grounded too much in reality. I guess I'm asking for two different things here and should've made two different threads.

Yeah

youtube.com/watch?v=fDfz-i1yCFc
>3:50
youtube.com/watch?v=--oi-vdBFoQ
2:30

Not the entire movie, but it's there.

The vocabulary of certain kinds of (thankfully mostly dead) film critics who want to turn their thoughts on movies into something esoteric by inventing academic jargon to describe things that really don't require academic jargon are not helpful if you want to be understood by most people.

you're right. I'm terrible at being accessible.

I fucking loved it. You can't go into it expecting it to be realistic or for everything to make sense. If you're just completely open to whatever happens and just sit back and enjoy the ride, it's such a fun movie.

Peter Greenaway

He's conflated postmodern art (mostly pretty good desu) with the silly shit that ensues when it's applied to politics, social science etc.

Postmodernism is antithetical to metanarratives such as Marxism.

Amelie maybe?

Best answer I can think of right here. Good thread.

Also, I think Star Trek: The Motion Picture could fit here too.

Snow White

which Snow White

which Snow White

>Star Trek: The Motion Picture
should I finish TOS first?

Except a lot of Marxists have co-opted postmodernism and basically equated everything socially constructed with oppression.

Something about this movie always looked really odd to me. Like Spy Kids 3d, all the visuals just seemed off.

the CGI is terrible, yes.

>thats_the_joke.png

Ridley Scotts Legend

Koyannisqatsi
Gerry (Gus van Sant)

Film is a realist medium. Formalism is a pseudo-intellectual shorthand for teenagers that would rather be told what to think and feel while looking at le wacky images.