ITT: Good anti-war films

ITT: Good anti-war films

all of them. war is never the answer

I`m surprised no one has posted this one yet

Ironically First Blood

>war is never the answer

War is the question. The answer is always "yes".

>one of the best movies ever made
>still relevant today (if not more)
>Sup Forums never talks about it

Sup Forums is 97% made of plebs

Born on the fourth of July.

>You weren't there man.

Any war kino really depending on your perception.

Dr. Strangelove.
It's more anti-nuclear than anti-war but it carries a lot of similar sentiment, and it's a fucking masterpiece of satirical comedy too. Peter Sellers makes the film.

My favorite
I love how well-made this film is, obviously a ton of effort and care was put into it and the effect is strong. The visual design with the props and costumes especially is effective. I wish it wasn't such heavy-handed propaganda though. I don't even know if I would consider it anti-war because it glorifies the partisans when in reality their escapades were just as depraved and violent as the SS killing units.

I think this is the best anti-war film there is.

Funny how wrong all the sequels were. At least, they gave us all those glorious Rambo II & III straight to video ripoffs.

Starship Troopers.

It's hilariously ironic
First movie is a scathing dismissal of the glories of war.

And then every sequel is "Lol fuck yeah violence".

Surprising to think that Stallone was happy with it considering that he was involved in the writing of First Blood

Well, the first movie was adapted from a book and the original movie ending is quite dark -- with Rambo killing himself.

You could blame Cameron for putting more action in the 2nd or maybe they just wanted to go that route instead of remaining serious.

i didnt think the propaganda aspect of the film was so bad. of course it doesnt make the russians look that bad but they arent angels either. when i watched it i thought you could easily switch the roles of the russians and germans and the message would be kind of the same.

Paths of Glory

the deer hunter

i dont know how popular the muscle fueled action flicks were by the time rambo 2 came out but i think they just saw the potential for that character.

this
also why don't good anti war films come out anymore? people spent a whole lot of time making great films shitting on Vietnam, but now we get shit like American Sniper and Zero Dark Thirty that just blow americas dick and get praised for it

The Big Parade

Le Roi de Coeur

nobody in america wants to see their country being portrayed as morally gray, they want to force their self image as the global good guys upon everyone else after the realities of the horrible shit they got up to during the 60s through to the late 80s started opening up

The Hurt Locker

Its not a film but Generation Kill does anti-war pretty well.

>Surprising to think that Stallone was happy with it considering that he was involved in the writing of First Blood
Well, that's implying Stallone ever had any sort of artistic integrity and his movie carreer wasn't just based on greed and ego.