Were the early 2000s the pinnacle of cinema, television, and life in general?

Were the early 2000s the pinnacle of cinema, television, and life in general?

Everyone says things when to shit after 9/11 but I think things from Late 2001-2006 were still fantastic. It was 2007 with iPhones, Great Recession, social media, the fucking Big Bang Theory, etc. where things truly went downhill.

I guess I mostly agree and I wasn't even young. I turned 25 in 2007.

How does it feel to be considered one of the very first millennials? Annoying or cool?

It'll never come back so it doesn't matter. Now fuck off.

Yeah it's definitely strange to see how quickly my supposed generation evolved. The technology that kids take for granted less than 20s later would have been mind blowing to me when I was graduating high school in 2000.

20 years later*

Recently I see most people are starting to cut Millennials off at 1995-1997, i.e. last to remember 9/11 to some certain extent. This makes more sense than the weird 1980-2000 meme definition, imo.

The internet becoming fully integrated into everyday life was the beginning of the end. It's all become so instant and disposable that anything resembling quality is brushed aside for the next spicy meme.

Saw a great movie, heard a great band, ate a great meal? FUCK YOU ASSHOLE, none of it matters. 12 hours from now it'll be like it never happened.

We need distractions, and we need them NOW.

I would agree with that. I can talk to someone born in the early 90s and still have a lot in common with them but someone born in like 1999 would be like another species to me.

It was before the recession, social media boom, centralized internet and the SJW movement

Also society was incredibly different before smartphones and Twitter came along

There's something depressingly accurate about this. Feels bad man

This phenomenon isn't inherently new. Everything is simply much faster now thanks to ubiquitous interconnectivity. It will only get worse.

There was also more of a mystique to things. Even though I was regularly using the internet back in the late 90s, there was no wikipedia that consolidated information. For example, back then The Blair Witch Project was able to be passed off as potentially real. All we had back then for movie information was imdb in its early format.

2003 was best year

Nailed it. I've been saying for years that the internet is the worst thing that has happened to humanity as a species. We're seriously fucked from an evolutionary standpoint.
But in the short term, yeah, it just makes our lives suck ass.

It's what we asked for and built.

No kidding, babies being born today are inheriting one fucked up (albeit thoroughly interesting) future. The world's gonna be changing practically overnight, when you look at the grand scheme of things.

the children of today will look back at their time the same way OP looks back at the early 2000s

your parents look at the early 2000s the way you look at the 2010s

when will you nostalgiafags realize that theres nothing special about the time you grew up and that it all has to do imprinting

Not entirely true. Even though it wasn't that long ago, people look back fondly at the early 00s because it was pre-youtube, pre-wikipedia, pre-smartphone and social media proliferation. That list of things alone has changed our culture a lot.

We need to evolve into some kind of machine-human hybrid powered by the internet. Otherwise, I don't see us surviving the next 50 years, really.

That's exactly the point - we may live to witness the death of nostalgia. 40 years from now, when grandpa talks about how great things used to be, the truth is a click away. Fuck, 40 years from now, clicks might be dinosaur-status.

Also, women have to go. We need to find a replacement already. We can become male oviparous or something. Those damn creatures never did us no good.

Fuckdolls are a few years away.

Technically Youtube was already around before 2007, it started in 2005. But I liked the first few years of Youtube, it had a certain charm to it.

But i've talked to people decades older than me and they agree that things went wrong around 2007, when iPhones and social media boomed and human interaction became compromised

I am an eighties kid and I think things were pretty fine until the late 00's.

>Were the early 2000s the pinnacle of cinema, television, and life in general?

Is this some sort of sick joke? What do the naughties have on the nineties?

I actually remember thinking as a kid that maybe people would pay to go to a movie theater to watch a video game being played by someone else. Seemed like a silly idea at the time.

1998-2001

>What do the naughties have on the nineties?

Well we had useful things like cellphones but not smartphones and high speed internet was widely available by 2002 or so.

Samurai jack

>Not entirely true.
actually its entirely true you stupid fucking cunt. the internet, as much as your self centered arrogant cocky faggot face would love to think otherwise, is yet another cog in the machine of inventions that have been in our post-industrial society. they are literally no different from cars. just because you can send your whore a picture of your dick or instantly send your boss across the world a piece of paper that took you 15 minutes to write doesnt mean jack shit. having access to instantaneous information has been just a dent in history. just like the invention of cars or planes. you are so egotistic to think that WOWEEEEE LULZ YOUTUBE BLOGGING ADS CLICKS INSTANT LIBRARY EVERYTHING LE DIGITAL XD means jack shit

fucking kill yourselves
those people have big sagging tits from too much leichten consumption. they are zombies who think brandy is good alcohol. they dont exist to people that matter
thats more like it user
ok 80s kid how about your smelly stinky greasy black comb and shove it up your mothers arse you fuck. raegan was a monkey and you should be necked for breathing the same air he did

>I actually remember thinking as a kid that maybe people would pay to go to a movie theater to watch a video game being played by someone else. Seemed like a silly idea at the time.
And then the Marvel Cinematic Universe came. Haha.

I like the MCU, though

Holy shit. This nigga gets it. 15 minutes of fame is now 15 seconds.

Why are you so angry, mate?

Calm down beavis

>as much as your self centered arrogant cocky faggot face would love to think otherwise, is yet another cog in the machine of inventions that have been in our post-industrial society.

Hard disagree. The internet changed society and culture faster than just about any other invention in human history.

The internet was much better when connection speeds were slower AND not as many people used it.

The spread of social-media has not helped, either.

not mad lads this is just how i type
>hard disagree
stopped reading right there mate. you are a loser you will die very soon and your children will have horrible diets because you spend your nights arguing with people about the internet. please reconsider everything

It's the same old story: when women enter the scene, things become worse. Is it because technology has to be dumbed down so they can use it?

Whenever people reminisce they always think of the good stuff. Hardly anyone today would give up smartphones or social media. I look at the shit kids are growing with today to the shit that I grew up with in the early 2000s and would gladly trade places. I used to jerk it to pictures on the net, downloading an album off napster took hours, if I wanted my music on the go I had to burn cds, mp3 players were a luxury, downloading a movie took days, no sexting/snapchat or none of that shit. Yeah spideman 1-2 were good but there was also a lot of shit, people complain about cgi today, 2000s cgi was horrible, there was terrorist fear post 2001 that lasted for years, the war on Iraq, and to top it all off the upcoming economic crisis, I watched my dad and uncle lost their businesses.

>because you spend your nights arguing with people about the internet.

do we need to point out the irony here?

>The internet was much better when connection speeds were slower AND not as many people used it.

>anything after 1789
>good

kys OP

No, user. (You) ;^)

The internet is shit. I would literally eat my own feces than use it.

I suppose. I guess the mentality for a lot of us is that certain things about high speed internet and technology were great up to a point but now it's just excessive and pointless. With that said, I'd rather not think about how much time I waste on Sup Forums.

yes

If you're in Europe, you're shitposting at like 5am. If you're Australian, you're wasting time here in the middle of the afternoon typing out long diatribes like this . Don't get all high and mighty on us. You're the one that came into this thread.

I get this point but it seems fallacious to act like things are the way they've always been. Sure, the shortcomings of human beings will find a way to manifest themselves in whatever environment people inhabit, be it the town square or the internet, but an increasingly interconnected world will influence our lives and cultures in every way imaginable, and not all will be positive.

It's ok in my book to take a step back and admire the simplicity of days gone by. That doesn't mean cross your arms and cry about a world you won't see again, but it's good to try maintain perspective about what's important amidst the superficial changes.

i know brahs im just shitposting. very lonely guy in general and im going through a rough patch atm. i cant vent IRL because i live next to a schizophrenic toxoplasmotic cat lady so I have to settle for calling people faggots for thinking the internet matters on a film forum. jesus christ i hate these captchas i always get 3-4 wrong before i get one right, anyone else experience this?

The captchas are getting out of control. Seriously considering breaking down and getting a Sup Forums pass.

>early 2000s
>pinnacle of cinema

wew lad

Often the captchas don't work properly. I click on an image and it just dissolves. Mostly those with vehicles.

kino poster

google is up to some shady shit with these captchas

bump

Why does this site blame a tv sitcom for all their shortcomings?