Has there ever been a bigger waste of potential in a character? What would you have done differently?

Has there ever been a bigger waste of potential in a character? What would you have done differently?

Held Bendis back with pitchforks and torches.

Never use him as main in anything. Shows up for a few panels, fucks some shit up as deus ex sentry, leaves.

Have you read his original debut run? It's fucking awful and Sentry is such a Mary-Sue. If it was up to me I would have not made him as powerful, and had him not be known by the rest of the Marvel Universe. Maybe give him powers similar to Captain Marvel but less powerful.

Introduced him as a new hero. Build him up to be Marvel's Superman over a few issues while having him covertly looking for a Mcguffin. Have doom suspect something is amiss and bring it to the illuminati's attention but they Shrug it off. Sentry tips his hand and the heroes mount a defense. Twist ending the Mcguffin was to keep the void in check. Many b-listers are killed in the issuing void vs everyone fight.

A waste of potential was the whole point of the character.
He's the ultimate overpowered Marvel superguy, and that's the potential.
But he's too overpowered and that drives him mad, that's the waste.
The point they were trying to make with him was that power isn't an answer unto itself and is inherently a potential problem.
Also, he's the anti-Superman, where DC has always just had Superman be stronger to fix any problem, Marvel deliberately makes it's heroes underdogs who have to fight harder, out-wit their enemies, and suffer occasional losses in order to be heroic. Sentry just puts the emphasis on that.
In Marvel comics the overpowered villains never have to struggle to validate themselves, they just bully their way through life, it's the heroes that work to find solutions.
In DC it's the villains who struggle against overpowered opponents who must be outwitted with courage and sacrifice.

He should be only used in mini series released annuals
just out of continuity crazy fucking stories

Keep Bendis the fuck away.

Trying this hard to hate DC and be a Marvelfag

Supposedly, Bendis only used him because he couldn't use Thanos, who was a main player in Thanos Imperative at the time. They say that's way Bendis shits on the event whenever he gets the chance.

Bendis has been using him long before Siege.

It's not that hard, think about it:
Superman teaches children that might makes right.
Batman teaches children social class is determined by inborn merit.
WonderWoman teaches little girls that success is conforming to the social norms set by men.

(And those are the ones I like)

The only reason to hate Marvel so much is because many of their stories ask you to question things. To think.

>Thanos being Norman's bitch
Sup Forums wouldn't like STORMIN NORMAN.

what

Superman is more about standing up for what's right than he is about might makes right, if anyone says might makes right its Lex which is why he has his complex.
Batman is about willpower and justice over happiness more than its about anything to do with social norms at fucking all. He almost never plays a "social" role as most stories are about Batman not Bruce Wayne.
IDK that much about Wonder Woman to be honest but most of her shit seems to be about being a strong woman despite men (albeit in the later days, not in the 40/50's)
Marvel has good characters and asks you to think certainly, but to act like DC is that simplistic is fucking dumb.

>Superman teaches children that might makes right.
We've seen Superman win the day when he was basically powerless.
>Batman teaches children social class is determined by inborn merit.
Which is why he takes in circus kids, street punks and a girl who was raised from birth to be a murdering machine and not just rich kids.
>WonderWoman teaches little girls that success is conforming to the social norms set by men
There is some merit to this but because nobody understands Wonder Woman and everyone thinks they're the one to finally understand her.

>Has there ever been a bigger waste of potential in a character
The Sentry had potential?

>The only reason to hate Marvel so much is because many of their stories ask you to question things.
Yeah like "Why is this writing so bad?" Or "Who approved of this?"

mhm

>Superman teaches children that might makes right.

Every superhero teaches that. Just inherent in the genre. Superman stands out for teaching that might could and should be used responsibly.

>Batman teaches children social class is determined by inborn merit.

You apparently confused him with X-Men.

>WonderWoman teaches little girls that success is conforming to the social norms set by men.

Like, being a grrrl power dominatrix? Troll subtler.

>The only reason to hate Marvel so much is because many of their stories ask you to question things. To think.

You mean ask you to painfully and blindly reproduce the path that humanity's greatest philosophers already went through centuries and millenia ago because the author is a shallow person without any convictions he won't be afraid to present to readers, assuming that "asking to think" is even true, which in case of Marvel it usually isn't?

Bendis making me think a lot, mostly what does venom blast have to do with spiders.

Reread that last sentence, practice, repeat.

You're right about me oversimplifying DC like that, but you have to admit the basic premise of each example character is suggestive to these themes. It makes it far too easy for lazy writers to churn out material that reinforces those bad lessons.

Got me on Supes, I have read those. But admit it: plot armor helped. The guy is just going to win ... every time.
Bats reinforces the social class darwinism with that by leaving behind the inferior (lower class) children to suffer in their lesser status. The myth of a guiding hand of universal justice being at work to prevent the suffering of innocents undeserving of such a fate is the false premise being reinforced there, not that social mobility isn't possible.
Wondey can't be understood until writers agree on how to portray her, but they can't do that because they don't understand her. It's a catch22. And that sucks.

I can't tell if you over analyzed, under analyzed or are just a troll.

Spiders have venom, venom would be a great name for a spider-themed superhero's super-zap ... that's about it.
But what's really going to twist your noodle is: Why would a radioactive bugbite give someone superpowers?

Compulsive overanalyzer who admittedly ( ) underanalyzed and didn't troll ... by strict definition ... but kinda should have known better than to engage with Marvelbashers.

the costume sucks

>But what's really going to twist your noodle is: Why would a radioactive bugbite give someone superpowers?

The radiation mutated the spider's DNA and was carried by the bite, mutating the human recipient's DNA as well.

Also the Other. Also, my point is less honestly about the relevancy, my fault, and more leading into the Bendis is a hack who wrote in a mary sue character. Also, not marvel bashing, they have some of the greatest characters and stories of all time, so much as recognizing your clearly biased point of view in favor of marvel and against DC, pretending to be some sort of intellectual who is most likely just a troll.

Age of the Sentry ongoing. Never use him otherwise.

"Mary Sue"? I've got to tell you, that phrase has been overused to the point of losing all meaning.
I saw a post use it for Superman last month.

What are you trying to say here? That there's no right to defend the merits of a comic or a comic company on Sup Forums?
That PRETENDING to be an intelectual is tantamount to trolling, but apparently an unprovoked casting of aspersions on an user's intelligence isn't?
You're full of it.

I've always wanted to write Sentry but my idea and vision of him might not be what people want.

I want Sentry to be a depressive hero. The reason I want him that way is to put more focus on how he sees life, himself, his powers, his enemies, his future, etc. Make him feel detached from humans, make him judge their actions and lives, basically a diet version of Doctor Manhattan.
If he's too overpowered for normal villains then make him explore the galaxy, fight lovecraftian beasts in space. Who cares if the idea is bad? I don't think no one cares enough about Sentry so might as well experiment with the character.

>"Mary Sue"? I've got to tell you, that phrase has been overused to the point of losing all meaning.
>I saw a post use it for Superman last month.
That makes a bit of sense though

Holy shit

so sentry is One punch man but without the idea of making fun of powerlevels?

>In Marvel comics the overpowered villains never have to struggle to validate themselves
>Thanos and Doom, Marvel's two top villains, have struggled through their entire lives and worked insanely hard (far harder then heroes), to achieve the knowledge and power that makes them ''overpowered''

Right now you could make him unto a cosmic entity like Genis-Vell. He's powered by the Celestials additionally after all.

Give him to Ewing ffs, give him a rematch with Anti-man, let him discuss crazy shit with Thanos. He's grown off Earth long time ago.

I liked the whole ''ultimate deconstruction of Superman'' idea, but it could have been done better. I hate the whole:''Made everyone including the readers forget about him thing''. They should have just went with:
>junky drinks serum
>becomes God kinda
>tries to be a hero
>works out for a while
>people all over the world inexplicably die whenever he saves someone
>he figures out it's Void
And then the whole Osborn thing.

more like:
>want to be noticed
>become a god
>even you can't save everybody
>subconciously want an excuse
>BANG Void

I don't give a shit about Bendis, second Sentry mini is how it all came to be and fuck the rest.

By the way, Death Seed Sentry was the best version so far.

>spent 18 years 24/7 in dystopic future wastelands eating rats to survive and training as a soldier to fight off marauders and psycho end of times wastelanders
>couldn't actually be any tougher or disciplined. Literally would be the hardest woman on planet earth
>transported to the present she's all "ooooh makeup, ooooh boys! Tee hee" and is written as a stubborn brat

I'm mad. I'm still fucking mad.

you really are a craftsman, user
congrats

>most overpowered character
>make him agoraphobic

there's something funny about this

>underrated post

Ever read a silver age DC story, like something from Gardner Fox?

They're nothing but the heroes having to outwit opponents so broken they can't punch them out.

You know in Flash the human race where Jay says to Wally being a super hero means having to fight like how a science fiction author writes? That's DC.

Marvel just too the idea and added lower power levels and lots of soap opera.

The "DC heroes never have to use their brains" is a meme that needs to die.

I guess

Bendis really fucked Sentry, and I hate to give the fat fuck any credit, but giving him the oddly specific weakness to Hellicarriers was actually quite clever.

Ultron determines his weakness is Hellicarriers, and I'm taking those two data points as correlation so fuck you.

You need to stop abusing elipses.

So much potential for cosmic character wasting away. Remender never delivered on his promise on writing a mini. Fuck.

Don't believe it. What said. He'd been foreshadowing it for a while.
Plus if Civil's War II's anything to go by he doesn't think dick of Thanos anyway.

I would have never used or referenced him beyond his first mini-series.

I'm a marvelfag and kek'd anyways

It kind of makes fun of powerlevels.
If by "fun" you mean "you face the crippling existential depression of the redundancy of".

>Give him to Ewing ffs,
>give him a rematch with Anti-man
>let him discuss crazy shit with Thanos.
thisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthisthis
Ewing's the only guy I trust to handle the metatext well.
And Ultimates (Anti-Man especially) is already dealing with Sentry themes.

But the second mini was better.

Just because Mary Sue is overused doesn't mean its not accurate.
And no, defending comics and being intelligent is fine, but using faux intelligence as a justification for simple pandering is what makes it absurd. You're not defending anything really, you're painting a flawed depiction of Marvel as some pseudo intellectual company when its become (especially in recent years) just a large producer that panders to peoples wants for the lowest common denominator. All the while you over simplify DC to make it looks bad under the air of some high brow understanding of comics and its all for contrast to prove your point about the glory of Marvel.

There's no coming back from this. That user just got Hannibal'd.

Sentry's great. He's only a "waste" if you genuinely expected him to be Marvel Superman.
>What would you have done differently?
Told Remender to fuck off.

What was everyones problem with him getting killed the way he did? Didnt he take a giant hit from Thor and then a fucking giant massive huge ship land directly on top of him?

Why the FUCK is it so hard to accept that could kill him?

Because we'd been told for years that something much harder would kill him. Hulk circa WWH was probably more powerful than a downed Helicarrier and Sentry put up a much bigger show of durability.

What the fuck does Spider-Sense have to do with spiders? That shit is literally precognition.

well he took a full-power strike from Thor, then everyone else AND Thor powered by Norn Stones (Odin-tier, let me remind you) then the nuclear explosion of Helicarrier and it only managed to throw him out of the God-mode for a minute, when he started to BEG that somebody killed him already.

Then again it's true - I prefer when they show him as a completely unstoppable, unassailable being, much like Remender did.
>it's only flesh

Remender took the only possible route after the Great Bendising. A completely alternate take with indication of cosmic turn, and I'd be fucking delighted if he delivered that goddamn mini.

>Didnt he take a giant hit from Thor and then a fucking giant massive huge ship land directly on top of him?
That's not even why it was okay. It was okay because unlike other scenarios like Hulk Bob actually wanted to die. Nigga literally screamed at Thor to do it.
All the Hellcarrier even did was phase him for, like, a minute.

But let's be honest. Screaming WHERE IS SHE from the world's greatest detective doesn't help. DC is a meme the same wasy gentoo is a meme. Hell, you are a meme. You could be cleverbot for all I know. For all i know, literally no one here is real. You are all memes.

It is an idea without flaws.

IMO the best route would be no route at all.
Should've let him lie. His story came to its logical conclusion. They let Marv and Eric rest in peace, give Bob a break too. Or at least wait longer than 2 fucking years.

Pretty much.
I didn't like Age of the Sentry's take outside the meta-lore parts but non-canon Silver Age silliness is the only way you'd get an ongoing out of him. Or any extended story, for that matter.

Let's agree to disagree, cause I can't get over the scale of awesome Death Seed brought to the table. But I absolutely see your point.

Bring a shit character into main continuity won't automatically make it a good and interesting character. His entire premise is that he is significantly better and more powerful than you because he is Sentry and the rest of them were not Sentry. Having him killed off and cast into limbo was the best thing that ever happened to him.

lmao retard

His story arc in New Avengers vol 1 when they try to recruit him and he just goes mental and cant into teams should be the extent of it.

>waste of potential in a character
Sentry is bland as fuck. Being powerful isn't enough to make a character interesting.

I've read and re-read the conversation and the replies. And I honestly think that what you're saying comes from heavy if not pure bias. So what you like marvel more, but don't give base generalizations to another entire universe of comics you don't like and prob haven't read a majority of. For superman, yes he has plot armor, but the point of his stories is in the writing, (generally, we cant say that anyone has never had a bad writer on their character) I've never took his ideals and lessons to be might is right, it's more like can I be good despite the events happening, along with my powers, or how can I win, if I need to protect others. To generalize like you did, you are literally omitting a bunch of his actual story. Same with batman, throwing around big intelligent sounding keywords to describe how bats promotes social class differentiation doesn't mean anything if you can't prove it or even explain it with substance. To me it's been shown that batman often STRIVES to help those who generally couldn't help themselves. Promoting the well lively hood of orphans, sickly, and homemess. Along with helping out some criminals here and there rehabilitate. He has money, yes, everyone knows that. But because he's shrouded in mystery no one can actually judge him morally for that amount of money, because he uses it to help others as far as they know. And wonder woman, meh, im not going to say anything, she's a Picasso on lsd as stories and character set go.
Also don't ignore the ratio of shit marvel pumps out compared to DC, almost as if they don't care... gasp..

I completely agree with this guy. Had I read what he posted b4 this, I wouldn't have said this. He pretty much said all I said. Good shit!

I love this.

I guess. I found his agoraphobia hilarious though.
>"We need you Sentry!"
>"I'm not going outside."
>"Why?"
>"It's scary out there."
Always makes me smile.

Oh totally Remender was great at the OH YOU DON FUCKED UP NOW exposition. I have tons of those pages saved all the same.
Just saying that could have been applied any Supes-lite heavy hitter. Which it might as well been, since follow-up NEVER!

You know what I loved. How he was patient zero for the marvel zombies line. That shit made me laugh, like uh oh you guys are fuuuucked.

check some Hypercrisis threads, that Bob (from his first mini, with short hair) was the bearer of the plague was touched upon

Shame, because it'd be also a retcon. On the other hand, only Cap, Wasp and Thor were aware of Sentry's role in stopping Exitar.
Nah, Sentry's up there with serious Surfer now (at very least) judging like he clowned Thor on various occasions, but yeah there were some serious OH SHIT moments in that run.

>waste of potential
All of his mini series were enjoyable and different from each other.
Whenever a writer other than Bendis writes him, something exciting happens.

The only "waste" here is giving Bendis another character for him to ruin.

I'm sorry, I'm actually really confused. Would you kindly explain it to me, I have only read marvel zombies 1, 2 , and vs army of darkness sober. Everything high. Am I missing something in the story or just something was revealed later on in a different series ?

>Whenever a writer other than Bendis writes him, something exciting happens.

fucking this

It's getting ridiculous to me that every person who rags on Superman has obviously never read a Superman story. "Might makes right" has nothing to do with Clark.

Nah, that was just one Hypercrisis thread from about what? a month? two? ago that took some completely crazy turns with chemistry, physics and so on. There's a screencap of this thread going around somewhere including some posts regarding Bob, just wait for another and ask for it. Explaining this now would be impossible, but think about
>everything comes from Superman
and how Morrison readers perceive Marvel as the dark/corrupted version of a superhero universe.

Deadpool has Comics Awareness. Duggan's using him as a mouthpiece to scrap Sentry's arc.

Ok, I will DEFINITELY bring this up next hyper crisis thread, thnx user.

The character was an asspull character who's point was being an asspull character and who's powerset was asspull

I hate the sentry

than fuck Duggan, I'll wait for Ewing or Remender.

y-you're wrong anyway ;_; [\spoiler]