Suicide Squad might not open in China due to content and original title

variety.com/2016/film/asia/china-unlikely-suicide-squad-release-1201830993/

hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/suicide-squad-get-china-release-917206

>Chinese DC fans have been speculating online for months about whether Suicide Squad would get past Beijing's censorship committee. Thanks to its friendlier PG-13 rating, the movie had raised hopes that it would escape the fate of Fox's similarly toned "anti-superhero" hit Deadpool, which was effectively precluded from release in China due to its violence and graphic language.

>Not surprisingly, Warner Bros. tweaked Suicide Squad's local-language title. In Chinese, it's "X特遣队," which translates to "Special Task Force X" (X marks the suicide, it would seem). Many have wondered whether the movie's dark and anarchic tone would still rub the censors the wrong way, though. The story, from a script by Ayer, follows a group of incarcerated supervillains — played by Will Smith, Jared Leto, Margot Robbie, Joel Kinnaman, Viola Davis and others — who are released by a secret government agency to save the world from a dangerous threat. China's official censorship guidelines state that stories "propagating passive or negative outlook on life, worldview and value system" are disallowed. Exactly how that applies to comic book baddies turned snarky world saviors remains to be seen.

>China has no ratings system, so the country's media regulator, the State Administration of Press, Publication, Radio, Film and Television (SAPPRFT), makes a judgment on all film imports, approving or banning them for consumption by Chinese viewers of all ages.

Yikes. Deadpool got China's defenses up when it comes to superhero films and now Suicide Squad is paying the price.

This is seriously going to hurt the film's earnings.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5YjGrZYRAtc
collider.com/suicide-squad-deleted-scenes-jared-leto-david-ayer/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

JUST
youtube.com/watch?v=5YjGrZYRAtc

But Deadpool didn't need China, and SS might now either.

Deadpool got rave reviews and Ayer chose to phase out Joker to focus on a pack of literally whos:

collider.com/suicide-squad-deleted-scenes-jared-leto-david-ayer/

I hope Deadpool 2 makes fun of that.

You're probably right. Although I wouldn't be surprised if Warner Bros. tried to avoid situations like this in the future, especially since they've started trying to lighten up the DCEU across the board.

Well they're well and truly fucked then.

Isn't it already doing better than deadpool tho?

Yes, GotG also.

I'm not surprised. I didn't see anybody walking out like I did with BvS and alot of jokes hit well with the audience I saw it with. I think we're looking at a situation where critics hated the film but it will do well with the masses.

>first ghostbusters
>now DCucks

based commies

>better

All I see in box office mojo is 8.1 million in foreign countries.

Don't really think this will reach 600 million.

It's literally just speculation from Chinese DC fans now. Maybe it won't open in china but this isn't even a rumor. It's like reporting on the shit we say on Sup Forums

Speaking as the audience, I won't want to bother with it if the descriptions of the enemy mooks are accurate. I hate boring CGI fights.

You can't really trust Box office Mojo until opening weekend is done. We don't even know what foreign countries they're counting that 8mil. It could just be from Australia and NZ since they got it first by grace of being the first countries to see a new day

I hate the putty patrol waves as well but it's no different than what we got in Avengers or AoU . I'd say it's actually a tiny bit better since they used to be people

Leto Joker is pretty awful so who can blame him? Smith, Robbie and Davis basically steal the show according to reviews.

Deadpool didn't need China because it had some fucking balls with the content and the rating. SS as it is now is just another movie in a sea of neutered PG-13 shitfests that doesn't appeal to anyone who isn't a soulles chink robot.

Can you steal the show when you're clearly the main characters? Captain Boomerang was a highlight for me. Five more minutes of screen time and he would have stolen the show

Isn't it because the Chinese goverment censors all media that contain Ghosts?

Superstition or something.

So do they not screen Star Wars? Because that has ghosts up the ass.

>title

They could just change the title to Task Force X

Also they make these movies primary for China...how could they screw up on this. They should have hired a chink advisor so they know how Chinky they have to make a movie

>tfw China has ruined American blockbusters

>The first Star Wars film to be released in China was Episode 1: The Phantom Menace, and this was in 1999

They never saw ANH, ESB, or RotJ in theatres

Funny story, they never saw the OT in theaters and a big reason we never saw Qui Gon ghost was because of China

>Also they make these movies primary for China...how could they screw up on this

Did you even read OP's post. Were reporting on speculation from Chinese bloggers.

Holy shit

>In Chinese, it's "X特遣队," which translates to "Special Task Force X" (X marks the suicide, it would seem).
>(X marks the suicide, it would seem).
Dumbass "reporters" are dumbasses.

bingo.

Deadpool just stayed true (as much as you can do for a Hollywood adaptation) and it payed off impressively.

Theres a scene that will be completely changed if its in China
El Diablo goes super Saiyan and turns into a giant flaming Skeleton Aztec God to fight the badguy

Enchantress possession type shit is probably worse.

Flame monsters are okay.

China has a hatred for skeleton and bones. They mastered the art of deboning animals for a reason. Seriously check out World of Warcraft changes for china, all the undead have bones covered up and skeletons are turned into zombies

>China has a hatred for skeleton and bones.
Then why do they not like Ghostbuster either, which is about ghosts? Y'know the opposite of bones.

>This is seriously going to hurt the film's earnings.

WB is getting less and less Americans to buy tickets to their increasingly shitty cape movies. They need to plan ahead to make their films more appealing to the Chinese, who are still in the "I'll just sit here like a retard and watch shit explode" phase.
Fuck, Michael Bay just needs to MOVE to China and make films.

And this is happening for the same reason that Sony's Spider-Man movies started going steadily downhill; because they stopped making movies audiences enjoyed.

Deadpool didn't need China because of its small budget, SS less so

Deadpool is the only exception to the "R-rated make less money" rule. This would be fucking dead on arrival had it been R-rated

This is why "DC" and "Marvel" shouldn't be franchises. Someone who likes BvS isn't necessarily someone who'll like Suicide Squad.

At least with Marvel if you like one you'll probably like the rest since they're all shoehorned into the same tone and structure. Suicide Squad isn't even the same genre as BvS.

>Ayer chose to phase out Joker to focus on a pack of literally whos

>Suicide Squad is literally whos villain team
>complaining about that
movie is gonna be bad but you can go to Sup Forums anytime.

You know if they got rid of the censors but did not replace it with a ratings system i would move to china right fucking now.

Only if you count comic book movies.
And only if you discount 300, which made back 8 times it's budget.

Diablo is also really good. His actor is fantastic and once we get around to learning his backstory his character is really fleshed out, we should have hear it earlier in the movie but they obviously needed that time for the 2 useless Harley flashbacks. Seriously, the first one explained all we needed to know.

At this point, Tryhard Grimderp is quickly becoming a genre, at least for WB.

Kingsmen brought in 5 times it's budget as well.

Good, fuck China.
They've been keeping box office turds afloat that should have been left to die.

If you need to appeal to a bunch of braindead chinamen that love garbage, you're doing a bad job.

I've been thinking about China a lot recently in terms of movies, and I think it's why I'm avoiding the cinema more.
Just make the film you want to make jesus christ.
They put some stupid chinese woman in a prominent roll in the new Independence Day to appease those dog eating fucks.

Those motherfuckers. I waited years to see a Qui Gon ghost.

Jesus christ FUCK CHINA.
Are they children?! Pathetic.

I don't want to live in a world influenced by the Chinese.
The only thing they know how to do is to steal and make cheap-quality knock offs of every other country.

They have no souls and life is cheap to them. They're machines that must be destroyed.

>and a big reason we never saw Qui Gon ghost was because of China

I doubt that. China wasn't a "hot" market yet during the Prequel Trilogy, China not wanting something wasn't a big deal in 2005 - you could turn your nose at it, shrug your shoulders and go "big deal". Revenge of the Sith, for instance, only made $9 million in China. The Force Awakens, by comparison, made $124 million in China and was still said to have under performed there. That's how much the Chinese market has changed in the last decade.

it's a fake taboo they invented to limit foreign culture importation. Nobody in China will tell you ghosts or skelletons are specially feared. Mind you, they eat way worse.

They also banned reincarnation apparently...something to do with the Dalai Lama.

How about watching actual quality films and not just the recent blockbusters?

But it shouldn't be in question. Hollywood doesn't make movies for Americans anymore
They make them for chinks, it's why there hasn't been an actually good blockbuster since the 90s

Hm, they didn't say how much it made last night yet...not a good sign...

Because Hollywood used to make well made entertaining blockbusters. Now they make toy commercials for Chinese peasants

As awful as deadpool was I hope this leads to cheaper flicks targeting American audiences

I like this poster.

what the fuck does "x marks the suicide" even mean

>(X marks the suicide, it would seem)
You'd think they'd bother to do some research before writing the article.

is this pasta?

Fine by me! Everyone & their god damn grandma in Tinseltown is tripping over each other just to appease chinks who're just happy enough to go into a building with good working AC for 90 minutes.

But why even bother coming up with a fake reason about ghosts when no one can stop them from embargoing anyway? Is the Chinese government run by Scooby Doo villains?

this thread made me realize how much China needs to be erased

And they would have gotten away with it too!

Na, unlike most films, cape films dont need china to make money internationally.

Because arbitrariness and pettiness are hallowed traditions in communism

That is better for all the market it reached for previews. Dont just at the numbers user. Numbers are pointless withought context.

It means the person who wrote this piece doesn't know jack shit about the movie's comic origins and couldn't be bothered to even look on fucking Wikipedia. Christ, they even say that Viola Davis plays one of the "incarcerated supervillains".

Pure clickbait farted out as fast and sloppy as possible.

Yes they do. It's the second biggest cinema market on the planet.

Fucking Hollywood has to realize sooner or later that they can't make movies that appease everyone in the entire world and all cultures, because it makes for boring shit movies. They have to choose eventually if they make movies for foregners exclusively or make movies for the west.

Watch Hollywood Dollars and a desire to consume media bring about a revolution in China.

>the movie's dark and anarchic tone
If only

Hollywood backs a revolutionary movement in China. Wouldn't be the first time.

Deadpool cost like 50m to make. Maybe 100m with advertising. It was a pretty bare-bones ad campaign.

Though they certainly got their money's worth.

Hollywood also doesn't make movies for people with a brain either. You idiots are complaining about a shitty comicbook movie being influenced by china. Almost all of these are pre popcorn movies with little intellectual stimulation. They can do that anywhere on the globe and it still ends up pretty much the same.

Not saying cape movies can't be intellectual but they haven't been. BvS tried so hard but becase it tried so hard it failed hard. Nuance was needed in that movie and it had none.

the closest to an intellectual cape thing i think we have had recently is Jessica Jones. A show about addiction

It was one of the greatest ad campaigns for a movie that I've ever seen.

>slant eyes don't want D-list capeshit from the weaker of the Big Two

How can you think it will even compete, DCluts? Skirts up, panties down, you low-revenue bitches, it's one load in your bottom and then out to the curb you go!

to people who have seen the movie

How does letos joker compare to other incarnations of joker (in the comics) and which incarnation does he act most like? what characteristics of the joker does he have and which does he not?

Because you've got an actor who loves the Character and some kinda marketing Warlock they pulled from another dimension.

Never have I seen a marketing campaign come from so many diffrent directions yet be so on point with what it was promoting.

He isn't in the movie for more than 5 minutes, you can barely tell anything from his behavior.

He's not funny, I can tell you that much.

He's Saints Row 2 Boss tier.

A-as someone unfamiliar with that game can you explain some more?

Did they ever get the Back To The Future trilogy? If so, has it since been outlawed?

a psychopath with a sense of humor.

>Deadpool
> $782.6 million
>GotG
>$773.3 million

Are you both fucking retarded?

>Superhero movie
>best character is not super

DCucks I am laffin

It helps that the director owns his own CGI studio and effectively doubled or tripled the budget that way.

wait is there anything beyond the rename? which is whatever, that's what the JLU ep was named.