The Lion Guard

A new episode is on right now. Jack McBrayer voices a character in it. I missed the first half because I overslept. C'est la vie.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zDqxBrrEZVs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

this show is really well animated. not sure why i assumed it wouldn't be. but just watching it now. i'm pleasantly surprised.

It uses some technological tricks. It really reminds me of what Rare did with Donkey Kong Country back in the day - the game, not the cartoon. Just at much, much higher levels.

>It was at this stage in The Lion Guard’s production that things took a slightly different turn. Christian Larocque, animation director at Mercury Filmworks, wanted to find a more fluid way of animating characters in the short amount of time he had available to him. His idea was to “rig” the character in 3D first, which meant creating a digital puppet of each animal character, which the animators could then spin around and see from every angle. It was this technique, thought to be the first of its kind, that allowed the team to put the cartoon characters in every conceivable position, whether they were jumping on to rocks or leaping into the air. This allowed them to see how the characters would move in any given situation. “The rig has all the points of articulation; all the joints of the character, the mouth movements, the eye movements,” says Riley. Once the animators had used the 3D rig to work out how each character would look in each position, they could translate that into a 2D model to give the animation that authentic, “handdrawn” look.

I'm going to try to keep this thread alive until 1:00 PM, when I can watch the first re-run. Unless it gets put up on online before then.

neat!

soooo... it is 3d built referenced rotoscoping?

i can kinda see it now that i'm looking for it
honestly if they made the tweening less prounced it might work better. They have very obvious starts and stops to animation with a slow down in the speed as it approaches the end of the animation, resulting in this sort of swoopy feeling to their motions

The model thing is why they're able to do so many perspective shots while other shows shy away from them. However, they still tend to look weird.

this is a thinly veiled furry thread isnt it

>thinly veiled

So there is actually a process of animating this show in 3D first before it's redrawn in 2d?... I wonder just how far they go in that initial animation process. It'd be interesting to see some of that footage.

The final animations look weird though. Like if South Park did a parody of The Lion King.

It's a thread about a show. A show that, sadly, isn't very popular. Do I like it in part because it has animal characters? Perhaps. But I enjoy the show none-the-less.

Isn't it just Disney's attempt at aping (I made a funny) "that show"?

There's really not much of a comparison. People like to bring up the marks the characters got when they joined the team, but they really don't serve the same purpose as cutie marks.

I suppose Fuli shares some characteristics with RD - loving speed and generally being a tom-boy, but neither character was overly original to begin with.

Speed thing ain't RD's to own. And I'd say Fuli acts more like "the girl" of the group: lots of sass; has to be right; sort of upped "everyone but me is an idiot"

The re-run is about to come on. I'll take screenshots, but I doubt it will help this thread.

Got a mega too? I can't find it online.

The episodes were all uploaded on the mega, but they were all removed at some point. The person uploading them originally pulled them in HD from Disney's site.

I guess this is it for this thread. Next episode is at the end of the month. Episode wasn't bad. It was another episode with a moral that isn't typical for these cartoons - fighting back against bullies and not always backing down.

Eh. One last bump. Unless somebody wants to talk about the episode, or the show. No point keeping a thread alive with empty posts if nothing comes out of it.

When is the episode with Kovu supposed to air?

>tfw these generals never last too long

Few people seem to like the show. They dismiss it as being pre-school.

I only came here for the hyena girl.
No hyena girl, No sale.

She was listed as a recurring character, along with Reirei, on the press releases. Reirei returned, so Jasiri should return as well. At some point.

Isn't this a show for like 5 year olds? I've seen my cousin watch this.
Do people here seriously watch programmes on Disney Junior?

Contemporary preschool animation isn't like it was a decade ago. They're moving away from the whole "talk to the audience" shtick that Dora popularized. I've said this far too many times to count, but The Lion Guard, in earnest, feels like a TV-Y7 cartoon from the late 90s. When the government forced cartoons to be educational. No cartoons were actually educational. All they had to do is include some sort of theme for an episode that children could relate to.

I just kinda follow this show for Reirei.

I'll go full zoo and say that Fuli has very attractive hind legs, in cheetah terms.

This cat's making me miss Wander.

He wants the booty.

She's the best character in the show for many reasons.

Although many say she doesn't look much like a cheetah at all.

signed.

besides a show's aimed demo shouldn't keep anyone from enjoyng it

I wish she looked more like an actual cheetah

It's the spots and lack of eye markings.

This is the show's best ship, right?

Especially the black lines from the eyes to the mouth, probably the most standout feature of a cheetahs face

she looks like a weird serval

I'm inclined to believe her appearance has to be due to focus groups or something. Executive meddling and what have you.

Any news on Kovu and Vitani?

I love this series but I feel it lost something by not being set post-TLK2.

Not yet. Probably the season finale, if they deem it important enough for that. It should be important enough.

When the season finale will be? Hard to tell. I believe the season is 26 episodes long, as iTunes split the season up into two volumes and volume one has 13 episodes in it. We're only three episodes into volume two, so it could be months before it airs.

iTunes description for the season doesn't mention them, but it does have some upcoming episode plots.

>Join Kion and the rest of the Lion Guard as they continue to defend the Pride Lands. When he fears he’s lost control of his Roar, Kion vows to never use it again! Beshte makes a new friend, Fuli tries to reunite a baboon with its mother, and Ono meets his idol. And when Nala takes Kion and Kiara on a journey, Simba is left in charge of the Lion Guard.

Have you liked any of the songs this season? That's the only thing about the show I disagree with - the need to have a song in every episode.

youtube.com/watch?v=zDqxBrrEZVs