What does Sup Forums think about the use of paneling in comics? Do you prefer complex and elaborate or Keep It Simple...

What does Sup Forums think about the use of paneling in comics? Do you prefer complex and elaborate or Keep It Simple, Stupid-level stuff? Also post examples of creative paneling if you have nothing interesting to contribute

Other urls found in this thread:

tcj.com/layout-workbook-5/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

As long as they enhance the storytelling, and it's not done as just a gimmick.

Bit of this, bit of that.
Sometimes I like complex and creative paneling, sometimes I prefer art that just gets the point across

I like simple panel things like this, where a character is slightly out of panel.

Yours is pants on head, though

Judging the paneling of a page, without the full context of a story, it's like judging the editing of a Guy Ritchie movie, completely out of context.
You don't panel, say, a guy buying groceries, and another having an acid trip, in the same way.

Depends entirely on the story and the artist's abilities.

Rocafort for example is absolutely fucking horrible at paneling and his comics would be significantly better if he just used a more traditional and simple paneling layout.

Yeah, no, I get what's going on, but I don't care for it.

Done well complex panelling can really add to the book, like in Wonder Woman:Earth One, and show concepts without using words that would interrupt the flow, like in the OP page.

Big fan of Frank Santoro's writing on grids and layouts. Love a good grid.

so....the focus of each panel is in the circles/triangles?

tcj.com/layout-workbook-5/

What in god's fucking name am i reading?
Is there some retard's spoonfeeding version of this because i feel like im fucking reading time cube again.

Without good paneling, it might as well be a picture book instead of a comic. Layouts are potentially the most important part of making a good comic. The layout dictates how the action and plot move forward

Personally I've acknowledged the fact that this shit will never make any sense to me.

That's beautiful.

I can't ever remember his name, but the guy that did Gates of Gotham and New 52 Klarion.

Trevor McCarthy

If you haven't extensively studied eisner, you dont get to post in this thread

To me its not that its nonsensical its that my stupid dyscalculic ass doesnt understand things through graphs and ratios.

From what i can... sorta... understand is that comics tend to focus in the centre of the page and everything has to be in proportion to the centre. I think. Maybe.

Then again i could be completely fucking wrong and its actually about how there is a hidden extra day from us and time works via cubes.

That really just depends on what the paneling is trying to convey, isn't it?
That's like asking what kind of cutting we prefer in movies.

The panels are arranged in such a way that your eyes follow the lines

Cerebus and We3 have great creative paneling.

either is fine, as long as its done well.

I do enjoy a good complex paneling, its something other mediums can't really do.

Pax Americana was best Multiversity issue