California Thread: 40 Senators Total Was A Stupid Idea Edition

To kick this off here's a cool website I found. It is a profile of Californians and their lives in rural areas from north to south.

realrural.org/

It's been a long time since we've had an actual thread without it just being bait to talk shit about the state or the rare thread made to trigger Americans. Also that "California vs. Texas" thread we had a while back was actually civil, so maybe this will be nice.

Other urls found in this thread:

newcaliforniastate.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Being honest, I started this thread because I seriously think we need to reconsider the way we handle the apportionment of representation and local autonomy. It severely hampers our ability to come together and act as one people. Forcing unity on political issues just breeds resentment and allowing greater self-determination allows us to come together on our own terms.

Remember the whole Jefferson thing? One thread I keep seeing repeated among its supporters when I talk to them, is that the majority of them would be absolutely fine with being Californian if their interests were better represented in the legislature and in the cultural conscious. We could easily be not having this problem if we got off our ass and got our shit together. It’s been a couple of decades into the modern incarnation of the movement and yet we still haven’t reached the point of no return but if we pretend that nothing is wrong then we will certainly hit that point. Being Californians should mean supporting the goals of Jefferson, because they are our people and we owe it to them to support them whether that means political reform or splitting up. They have been very clear as to what their prerequisites to staying Californian are.

>Better legislative representation
>The proposition system pretty much being a “do what LA says” button.
>Southerners not understanding their issues/way of life

I feel like we can deal with this and actually fix these issues instead of letting them fester. If California is going to be strong then we in the south need to vouch for our people in the north. I always see people acting proud of being Californian, but that means jack shit if it comes with complacency and ignorance. California doesn't just mean the South Coast. It means everybody from the desert to Shasta, to Tahoe and Fresno and I want people to realize that.

I want to become active in this regard but I don’t know the first thing about political organization.

Build a wall to keep the Californians in

>It is a profile of Californians and their lives in rural areas from north to south.

But mo-om, why isn't it all on youtube?

>tfw liberal in conservative county (Kern)
I'll be damned if California ever splits up and loses its liberal power.

>newcaliforniastate.com/
Best pack your bags

>tfw libertarian stuck in purple county
>tfw leftists seems to get crazier where as the conservatives and moderates just want to be left alone

Is it a good idea for me to move to LA

No

Why ?
North Cal is comfy ?

What's it like living in Kern? From what I have heard its like San Bernardino but with farms.

Fuck the New California movement. I can at least respect the Jefferson supporters enough to negotiate. These people are full of shit and deserve to be laughing stocks. I'd actually be willing to riot if they peeled my county away from California.

Which county?

Not the other user. Depends on what you are looking for in a city. It is expensive and has a lot of rough edges but LA is a great city if you get to know it.

NorCal is very comfy but you also have to choose your destination wisely depending on what you want. There are solidly libertarian counties and old hippy holdouts in equal measure as well as wine country and the Sierra Nevadas as always.

>Bad traffic that the city is too incompetent to fix
>Gang violence
>Smog
>Smug elitist culture
>Everything is expensive as fuck
>Shitty internet
Also, LA isn't in NorCal. If you want a comfy NorCal town, I recommend Crescent City

As shit as the New California movement is, so far they're the closest to reaching statehood. California has too much power as it is.

I've a family in Santa Monica, the place is pretty comfy. How is the job market in NorCal ?

Inland NorCal best Cal

Not ''a family'' but part of my family live there

I hate this fucking state. My part of it is full of hippies too

A lot of NorCal sucks to be honest.

>jefferson supporters
>not full of shit and worthy of ridicule

hoho, just wait until you meet some

>tfw nationalist in liberal county
>leftists are becoming increasingly violent and intolerant towards my beliefs

Why the fuck am i still here....

>Santa Monica
Ah so they're rich beach people. If you're wealthy any part of California can be paradise

There are not beach people they live close to the freeway venice blvd / Mar Vista

Its a complicated thing. Sometimes they are completely full of shit like claiming that city liberals are stealing their tax dollars to feed welfare even though rural regions in general get vastly more money from the state than they put into the system. But sometimes they make sense. For instance while the senate being population based would be equitable in theory with 1 person=1 vote, it really didn't take into account the rise of mega-regions. We also rely heavily on propositions for statewide legislation which gives these mega-regions too much power over policy. The assembly is done by county but that doesn't mean much when the less populated counties will get roflstomped in the house and if they aren't then the large cities have the potential to completely circumvent the normal system through a ballot measure.

I liked the old rules they had where no more than three counties could share a senator. They also said that no county could have more than one but perhaps we could alter that so mega-regions get more votes but not so much as to completely game the system.

The fun part is when it came out that Redding one of the largest cities of the region said that they will have no part in it, Chico's economy is dependent on the cal-state in the city and the liberals of the whole region especially those in Humboldt county are alienated by Jefferson's very right wing rhetoric. To me it is a situation where they will never gain statehood but we can't just let discontent fester no matter how rational or irrational it is.

>Why the fuck am i still here....

Butter and eggs?

dont get me wrong, I can udnerstand where theyre coming from with representation. But a lot of the ones Ive met at the county fairs where I live are absolute batshit after that. All about becoming a weed industry and surviving off their own mini economy, which in my own experience working, is just fucking retail/service industry and retirees

Makes sense. Explains why after all these years they never bothered to even produce a proposed state budget, choosing instead to "declare independence" with no real follow through and selling memorabilia.

>What's it like living in Kern?
Hot, polluted, people are dumb, hot, boring, cheap tho, and hot as fuck.

>Hot, polluted, people are dumb, hot, boring, cheap tho, and hot as fuck.

Reminds me of Moreno Valley
>City approves giant eyesore sketchers warehouse in the middle of an area which was supposed to be rural ranches according to the city plan and voter wishes
>Promised a huge number of jobs for residents so people forgive them
>The warehouse only needed to hire 5 personnel
>Instead of hiring locals they bring in five guys from Ontario (CA)
>Giant block of bullshit in the middle of what was once nice land with no new jobs
>Turns out bribes were involved with the city council
>Outrage for five minutes
>A year or so ago a new project is annnounced
>Its a "World Logistics Center" which means giant eyesore warehouse
>Right next to the sketchers warehouse
>The SAME CITY COUNCIL promises that this will bring in jobs
>The voters are no all over it having completely forgotten the sketchers warehouse fiasco.
>Slander residents of that part of town opposed to this as selfish Nimby's
>We will get blown up traffic, destroyed property values and no jobs
>Worst part is my parents live in the neighborhood adjacent to where its going to be dropped down

Did you ever see anything like this up in Kern?

>I'll be damned if California ever splits up and loses its liberal power.

In other news about ridiculous fantasies that will never happen

>Why the fuck am i still here....
Because even if the people piss you off, your home is your home.