What went wrong?

Why does everything in media have to be about race and politics now?

Remember when movies were just fun escapism?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=52EnTtGstKg
youtube.com/watch?v=HvC5A3K-0fY
youtube.com/watch?v=NvX_drgRrfY
youtube.com/watch?v=CuqEpjcBfaU
youtu.be/cjxL4bAHqqI?t=2455
youtube.com/watch?v=roNB1b9pUvc
youtube.com/watch?v=aTyJ3QruoaM
youtube.com/watch?v=lvvkeYubL28
youtube.com/watch?v=n1tFbZ5kaY8
youtube.com/watch?v=6jJIVK-daGk
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

its always been about race and politics, you just didn't notice it because you weren't looking for it

It's worse now than it's ever been. We didn't have shows called "Dear White People" 20 years ago.

it will only get more cancerous from here. there are no brakes on this train, because brakes are old-fashioned and backward.

remember when you didn't have to feed yourself or wipe your own ass

now everything's different, i bet the jews did this

>amerikuk under 30 problems

enjoy being drafted. kekeke

I mean they literally did do the part with the media seeing as how they own the US media.
Not as sure about the first part but it's possible

No, it is much worse than it used to be. Trust me I'm old. It is true that politics, and to a lesser extent race, have been a part of entertainment forever. But in the past ten years or so it's gotten really, really bad. It's everywhere. Unavoidable. They shove it in your face all the time and it's impossible to just ignore it.

Yes "we" did. You just weren't conscious yet.

Noone listens to me when I say this but in part, it was 9/11 that shifted tone from how media has been portrayed. Of course, we always had serious-toned shows but after 9/11, everything in the media/art world became a darker, gritty, bleak pieces of work. Almost every movie and show since has tried to become hyper-realistic, dark in lighting, and blue/green color grades. A bubble was burst that day in the US and it really changed what was talked about, what was the subject, that is kind of why everything is political/race; I was a freshman in high school when it happened and now I'm in my 30's. People from then are now creating everything you see and it's because of this shift of attitudes and how the worldview has changed.

That being said, there are pieces in media that are silly, and trying to do new/different things but most people will write it off as silly, dumb, trying too hard, or exactly what this board does best and pick it apart and find something not to like.

All culture was already on a noticeable "darker" shift before some buildings falled downs. Nine inch nails, ER, depech mode, quake, NYPD blue, superman with guns, marilyn manson, etc. Not even mentioning columbine.

So no one listens to you because you're an idiot with no fucking idea what you're talking about. At worst you were walking around in a little bubble of bullshit until NYC got all smokey and then suddenly you had to stand up and realize "WHOA MY GOD EVERYTHING ISN'T ALL SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS???"

dem trips

I don't fully agree, it really has always been there, the difference is that it used to be subtle. tropes like "black guy dies first" exist for a reason, and any reasonably self-conscious media used those trope as effective satrie without having to slap you in the face with it.

at some point, most of Hollywood realized that viewers were too fucking stupid to understand that shit, and needed their social commentary to operate at the level of a kindergarten picture book, hence our current situation.

Examples?

Media is just an ever-present affirmation of the decisions and choices already made by society. If you think it's become 'too much about politics' you're letting the tail wag the dog.

>>remember when I could hide my head in the middle class sand and ignore the problems that affect everyone

it's time to put away childish things

Yup, time to become a fascist.

I'd recommend watching Veep for a good escapism show. It's the most unpolitical political show I've ever seen. Doesn't take a stance on anything and has hilarious writing with great character chemistry. What political party people are is never mentioned either which is great.

Yea it sucks and its weird how agressive people become when you bring it up too. Just look at the triggered people in this thread

yea its weird how people respond decisively to idiotic statements

it's a good thing you can imagine that response as anything you wand and use use that imagined response to validate any position though!

>elect literal orange child president
>surprised when intelligent artists resist

You have no one to blame but yourself

just stop reading buzzfeed and letting Sup Forums tell you about the sjws destroying society. real people don't care about any of that outside a hyperpolitical bubble on the Internet.

Watch older stuff

after decades of jews and libtards injecting political agenda into media they get fucking hysterical when the right beats them at their own game

Shut up.
This.
Lol what. What is:
Gone With The Wind
Birth Of A Nation
12 Angry Men
Mississippi Burning
Talk Radio
Platoon
Network
The Sorrow and the Pity
Malcolm X
Glory
Do The Right Thing
Guess Who's Coming To Dinner
Fences
Tennessee Williams' entire career
All Quiet On The Western Front
Born On The Fourth Of July
The Killing Fields

Look at these fucking rants, filmed 24 years apart:
youtube.com/watch?v=52EnTtGstKg

The world's always been this way. Always. Fucking christ. If it bothers you so much, watch something else. You're a big boy, you've got self-control, don'tcha?

Subjective.

>fascism takes power
>films must be submit to the cultural ministry to ensure correct themes
>every film is now propaganda about how the main character saved the day by respecting authority

All tv shows and movies are non stop liberal propaganda

False narrative. da blue team just failed to win enough points because they were playing the wrong game.

>intelligent artists

If they were actually intelligent they wouldn't be """""artists""""""

At least put some effort into your memes pls

>always been this way
No. The problem has clearly grown much worse and far more blatant over the years

good goy, money is all that's important. you must work hard for your mast- urr employers, don't be like those slack negros my white friend.

t. art school debt slave

how long do you think you'll have to work at McDonalds to pay off those loans?

No, it really hasn't. You're just paying more attention because you don't have a choice, due to the little television you carry with you every second of every day.

I didn't go to art school I went to art

Nah

I just linked you two rants, filmed 24 years apart, talking about the same things and you have the gall to say "no." Fucking lol.
>The problem has clearly grown much worse and far more blatant over the years
It's exactly as: said. Did you expect every television show following 1999 to follow the same format as Full House? The Brady Bunch? Seinfeld? This is the same kind of discussion people pointlessly have regarding why hip-hop has overtaken rock music. How long did anybody realistically expect long haired dudes playing sick solos and singing about sex to last? The crazy thing is is that you don't even have to watch this crap. If you had self-control you wouldn't care about this crap because you're not going to do anything about it anyway.

the voice of reason

lel you're an idiot. Spawn and Mortal Kombat and all of those other things you listed are a completely different and unserious type of edgy than what followed 9/11.

you know how many ecoterrorists this film created?

>what is blaxploitation

Also, stop looking for shit to get mad about. If you go on Sup Forums and see some teenagers on tumblr complaining about how racist a movie is then of course you're aware of it. Just avoid the internet and you'll be a lot happier.

First ever blockbuster was about race relations idiot

>Spawn and Mortal Kombat
Where did he mention those?
>and all of those other things you listed are a completely different and unserious type of edgy than what followed 9/11.
>NIN
>Unserious
L
O
L
youtube.com/watch?v=NvX_drgRrfY
Here, have some more pre-9/11 serious media you fucking idiot:
youtube.com/watch?v=CuqEpjcBfaU
youtu.be/cjxL4bAHqqI?t=2455
youtube.com/watch?v=roNB1b9pUvc
youtube.com/watch?v=aTyJ3QruoaM
youtube.com/watch?v=lvvkeYubL28

The world has never been sunshine and rainbows. People are simply more aware now than ever because of the internet.

>I just linked two videos so I'm right!

lel

Wew. Ignored everything about the post in favor of a shitpost. Nice. See ya, Suzie.

>NIN
>serious

It's angsty teen music, that has always existed in some form. In the 50s it was rock n' roll.

And "politics" are the angsty teen music of the 10s.

>It's angsty teen music
This does not preclude it from being serious. I'm not sure we're operating on the same page here.
>that has always existed in some form
I agree. That is my entire point. Nothing has "gone wrong." Everything is as it always has been.
>And "politics" are the angsty teen music of the 10s.
You do know that punk music as far back as 30 years ago had politics in it, right? Otherwise I agree. Shit is really fucking fine for the most part. All these internet crusaders are fucking losers who need to spend more time with their friends and families. They're stirring a pot that doesn't need stirring. Luckily most people who actually go out and do things don't talk about this shit.

>They're stirring a pot that doesn't need stirring.

That's a poor way of putting it. "don't stir the pot" encourages people to stir the pot, just because. Its more like they're stirring a pot that was specifically set up to be stirred, complete with a sign that says "don't stir." But no one actually cares if they stir said pot, as that is what its there for.

>leftism takes power
>films must submit to the status quo to ensure correct themes
>every film is now propaganda about how families, nations and religion are jokes and that while race does not exist white people should breed with other races

Not true. The internet has been turned into a fucking cess pool 100 times more than it was 10 years ago. It is kind of amazing really. There's all these shitty groups all trying to use their own propaganda on literally everyone. There are 100s of such groups and none of them are doing it together. So, you get a shit load of bullshit like a literal can of worms.

Rocking the boat?

I'm trying to say the status quo is currently set up with a "boat rocking" and "pot stirring" zone to grant some feel-good validation for sentiments that, if left unchecked, would stir a pot or rock a boat that matters.

Rowing the boat?

>the "right" in the US is moderately authoritarian mid-right

>the "left" in the US is just a slight hair left of that, still just as authoritarian

the current narrative of a left/right divide in the US is utterly ridiculous.

>depech mode
>the downfall of western civilization
This is some of the better bait I've seen in a while.

The point you're intentionally missing is retarded fucks like you have called literally every cultural jitter over the last several centuries "the downfall of civilization."

>utterly ridiculous
Pfft, the dialect runs the world now and has for some time. I can even pin down the exact decade film and TV in the US turned into a predictive programming and mass control tool. The 80's, when Ronnie Rayguns from Holy Wood entered office.

>Subjective.
It's all subjective, baby.

A whole lot of confusing things about the world get less confusing when you realize that nothing about your life experience is objective, universal, or verifiable as truth.

>I can even pin down the exact decade film and TV in the US turned into a predictive programming and mass control tool.
>the 80s

... nigga you fucking dumb. Operation paperclip.

>The point you're intentionally missing is retarded fucks like you have called literally every cultural jitter over the last several centuries "the downfall of civilization."
We have? I usually only use that term to refer to films I don't particularly like, but which do well at the box office. For instance, "Transformers 2 is the downfall of western civilization".

Well, I guess it's nice just to be part of such a long-enduring tradition.

To some extent it's always been this way, as a bunch of people have stated, there has always been politicized media.

The difference I see is from social media and bored 'journalists'. Now, every piece of media can be politicized if you try hard enough or are loud and dumb enough. Every new James Bond movie will have its 'Bond should be X!' ambulance chasers, kids shows become 'problematic' and need fixing, video games get dinged for not containing a rainbow coalition of characters with arbitrary labels on them.

It'll keep happening until media creators either stand up for their vision and tell them to piss off, or until they start losing money across the board.

>implying you weren't being obtuse

None of that is new. Just before the internet went mainstream it was completely isolated to art school. Here's kids in the hall making fun of it two decades ago.

youtube.com/watch?v=n1tFbZ5kaY8

Also its still completely isolated to art school, just you, personally, can hear the squawking now. It doesn't survive in any "real world" environment.

>answers aggressively

The internet is taking away from (((their))) thought conditioning so they are doubling down on in some desperate attempt to keep control.

Next step after that fails is to have our internet modeled after South Korea's.

This is the most brainlet filmembyro post that could ever exist.

The Internet has ruined everything

>validates position via imagined response

That's what you get for not being libertarian master race

Because people are unable to divide the idea of personal opinion and personal worth.
If you represent almost any opinion, then your personal worth in its entirety is judged upon it. This goes both ways as well. It leads to a situation where someone who does one thing that someone does not agree with (anti-abortion) cannot ever be seen as good for their other opinions (pro healthcare or whatever).

add to this the fact that victim hood is a very valuable defensive strategy and shit sucks

>projecting the truth as an imagined idea because you're still wrong

>>validates position via imagined response

what's the matter, to much for you to handle white boi? do you also get triggered when you see a black man on the street? a woman? get fucking real

this is how the reality looks like. the world is changing, and for the better. less white people = closer to the world peace.

youtube.com/watch?v=6jJIVK-daGk

>validates his own autism once again

why does everybody assume everyone is either white or black on this board?

>less white people = closer to world peace

dont black people enslave their own people and force them into slavery? and brainwash children into becoming soldiers?

>>>validates position via imagined response

because it gets response

lol I don't need to present any evidence, especially not to a racist like you.

>>>>validates position via imagined response

what response am I imagining?

>>>>>validates position via imagined response

What's my position?

>>>>>>validates position via imagined response

Movies have always been political. You were just too stupid to understand the politics. Case-in-point: the bridge scene in Spiderman where the New Yorkers throw rocks at Goblin (the film was released right after 9/11 btw).

There are usually subtle political messages, even in kiddie movies.

t. 18 year old Internet scholar

Maybe it's just that because there's more shit out there, there's more shit out there.

>tropes like "black guy dies first" exist for a reason
Mostly because it's a funny joke. In the much less numerous cases where it actually happened for real in movies it's a consequence of blacks not having leading roles and only a few of those leading roles surviving till the end of a slasher flick. Same "problem" that gave us red shirt phenomenon in Star Trek.

Blacks didn't have leading roles because they are minorities and the 70s didn't have forced diversity.

Its funny how literally everything about that post is factually incorrect. Good job. That takes effort.

Oh please name some of these factually incorrect things.

>literally everything

Non answer vagaries. As expected.

Blacks aren't minorities in the USA. Racist Alt-right lies implanted by the Russians!

>implying climate change won't kill you off long after we're gone.

For the Age has itself become vulgar, and most people have no idea to what extent they are themselves tainted. The bad manners of all parliaments, the general tendency to connive at a rather shady business transaction if it promises to bring in money without work, jazz and Negro dances as the spiritual outlet in all circles of society, women painted like prostitutes, the efforts of writers to win popularity by ridiculing in their novels and plays the correctness of well-bred people, and the bad taste shown even by the nobility and old princely families in throwing off every kind of social restraint and time-honoured custom: all of these go to prove that it is now the vulgar mob that gives the tone.

You are wrong and too young to remember what it was like before. Media has always had politics but not like this.

again, wrong. You can inject political bullshit into anything you want. You can make predator the story of the modern man fighting the homosexual agenda. The only difference is how 20 years ago people would just laugh at you. Now there are highly visible echo chambers who will latch onto such things and repeat them endlessly. Echo chambers you, yourself, are paying attention to. And by paying attention to these echo chambers you lose the ability to see things in lights other than what they're casting.

Which, again, means that nothing has actually changed other than how you, yourself, see the world.