Nolan defends Film and fires shots at David Fincher

>Did you have to go to the mat for analog film with Dunkirk?

People have NO idea what’s being lost with the digital intermediate process. It’s very difficult to talk to the studio folks and postproduction guys because they’ll say, “Well, you believe in magic,” or “What you’re saying is mystical.” I just had to embrace that and go, “Yes, I suppose I am.” Everything in movies is about mystery and magic and things beyond our understanding. Those hundreds of hours of decisions that in and of themselves are meaningless? Well, added up they’re not meaningless, because in the end you feel something. Why does Vertigo work in a way that so many other films like that don’t? It’s the color, the different things that come together. It’s mystical, it’s emotional—an emotional connection we have with the experience of seeing a story on the screen on film. Just look at visual effects in films from 10 years ago. At the time you were fine watching them, but they don’t hold up now. What’s the difference? Our perception, to a certain extent, because we have an eye that develops over time. So whenever engineers turn around and say, “We’ve solved it. We’ve made video look like film,” I say, “Well, you’ve done a good trick. For now.” David Fincher loves to shoot digitally, and that’s his right, but for me, the photochemical process is different. I’m not sure they’re ever going to look the same, however many bits the technicians crunch.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rpHIzEm6058
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>blablablablabla and my movies are still as bland as a plank of wood

hes right actually

damn how will nolan recover?

>David Fincher’s actors have talked about his penchant for many, many takes. Several Gone Girl actors have spoken of doing 50 takes, and Rooney Mara reportedly had to do 99 takes on a scene in The Social Network. He has also released a director’s cut of Zodiac and an “assembly cut” of Alien 3. Are you anything like that?

>I always say that the audience tells me what the film is. That doesn’t mean we always agree. But audiences seeing the film—that’s the final piece of the creative process. It’s like exposing copper to the elements. It changes what the thing is. But it doesn’t make me then want to go back and have at it again. I’ve always viewed the filmmaking process as almost like a life performance or something. I would do reshoots if I had to, but I trust the production period. It’s like, Okay, I’ve got six months to shoot the film and then I’ve got three months to do my first cut. I’ve always tried to trust those pressures and limitations and stand by the film by the end of it. Otherwise, where would you stop? You’d never finish. It’s an imperfect medium. It always has been. Every film is imperfect. If there’s something I’ve been unsatisfied about, you leave it and trust what it was. The impetus is to try to do better on the next film.

>fires shots at David Fincher
Not really though

Nolan is right. Fuck digital.

So this is how those TDKR fight scenes happened.

That's what a 14 years old would say. They always have autism attack like "OMG HOW CAN SOMETHING GET A PERFECT SCORE NOTHING CAN BE PERFECT DURR". They still haven't grown up from the objectivism meme. Sad he's still stuck at the same step at his age.

Which one is digital and which one is film?

This just looks like different levels of exposure though

wut? they're both black

lol Nolan doesn't hold a candle to Fincher.

Fincher is actually good. Nolan is ok and comes off as incredibly pretentious to any one who's watched a decent amount of movies.

As much as I enjoy his movies, Nolan is a fucking tryhard.

I only liked two of Fincher's films and I'm still pissed over Gone Girl.

Either you haven't seen his movies or you have shit taste.

Fincher has only done to bad movies. Alien 3 and Benjamin Button (which wasn't bad, just mediocre).

Seven, Fight Club, Zodiac, Social Network, Dragon Tattoo and Gone Girl are just pure Kino

I have literally never seen any difference between digital and film, and if I haven't seen it, no one has. FACT.

Gone Girl:
>get a divorce
Directed by: Dishonest David

>plane crash take one ACTION
>You're a big guy
>for you
>CUT, PRINT that, that's a wrap everyone, next!

Is that why Nolan only does single takes?

This is what fucking kills me. He's arguably the biggest director under 60 in the business, one of the only guys that can get a studio to pay for film every time, and his films are uniformly shot without any color in dark lighting. It makes his obsession with film seem more like an arbitrary need than something he wants to take full advantage of

*under 50. He's much younger than I thought

I actually agree with him following the limitations put on him. hat's one thing i respect him for.

>Different angle with different lighting
>Different contrast settings
>Muh film is better
Also, enjoy those shitty film imperfections all around the frame

leave kino to me

I feel like Nolan is too willing to move on from a scene rather than make sure it gets done right. Obviously the film will never be "perfect" and you will have to abandon it at some point, but Nolan makes it sound like that is a reason for only doing it a few times and move on rather than, lets get it as good as we can. Then at the end you can say, even though it isn't perfect we did everything we possibly could to get it there. Nolan always has awkward choreography or some awkward extra in the back making faces and he will just use that take.

>Calling another director try hard
>While defending the man who made Fight club , Alien 3 and gone girl

Sure thing friend.

Nolan is 46 and edgar wright is 43. Wtf.

youtube.com/watch?v=rpHIzEm6058
>6:09
I think Fincher makes a good argument for doing multiple takes an being a bit of a perfectionist here rather than quickly moving on

you didn't even include fincher's best film

It's no longer about trying to make digital look like film, it might not have ever even been about that. All through the 00's it was more of a question of can digital ever reach an equal resolution+dynamic range to film, which it easily has by today. Both formats do look different but what's wrong with that Nolan? Don't you want filmmakers to have access to as wide a verity of tools as possible to create their vision? Not everyone wants that film look you close minded fuck.

>objectivism is a meme
your objectively a fucking retard faggot

Except he never says that. It's just he prefers film and respects anyone who uses digital.

Nolan has said numerous times that he thinks people, like Fincher, should be perfectly free to use whatever format they think will work for the story. He just prefers film. He's not trying to eradicate digital, he's trying to preserve film as a viable option.

this.
i wish the anti-film mob were more tolerant.

Engineers BTFO
They shouldn't let autists in charge of art.

>It’s the color, the different things that come together.
Isn't he like color blind?

>Both formats do look different
Different how?

" Everything in movies is about mystery and magic and things beyond our understanding"

Pretty ironic coming from someone who tends to overexplain stuff in his movies, leaving no room for mystery and magic.

it's just reactionary bs. there are great directors and DP that do great work with digital. nobody disagrees with that. we just don't want film to be a complete artifact of the past.