The Secret Rivalry Between Pocahontas & The Lion King

refinery29.com/2015/06/89430/pocohantas-disney-anniversary-animation-team-rivalry

just enjoy the read.

Other urls found in this thread:

vid.me/xjIV/the-sweatbox
youtube.com/watch?v=A734Ql4r2uM
powhatan.org/pocc.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Talking animals vs Brown People

This time it's moana vs Zootopia

Moana won't even get close to Zootopia's numbers

Mate is this a whole article based on a Reddit post. Why the bloody bollocks should I take any of it seriously?

I thought it was well known that at the time, Pocahontas was the A team project while Lion King was just the B team side project.

Alright I'll confess, that was a knee jerk reaction, going into it it seems the journalist has actually taken time out to do some research here. Ta OP

>secret
Nothing about this is secret

I thought it was too. Many old Disney animators who are now teachers are various schools (Mostly CalArts) tell stories about it. I had a teacher who worked on Pocahontas who told us that team took everything really seriously because they were trying to make a mature, realistic feature, at least with the human side of the film. He never really spoke about the animal slapstick bits.

I'm not giving them free clicks so you can keep spamming more articles into this board. if you actually wanted to discuss it you'll have expressed your own opinion about it and not just telling us to read it. get fucked.

Quit being such a fucking baby.

Nobody cares, you autistic fuck.
This isn't your blog.

reddit is that way ------------------------>

>No argument
You have to be 18 or older to use this board.

>b-but muh article

>No argument
but what if I use a meme face, is that enough argument for your kind?

>Actually having that saved
Fuck off, reddit.

I'm sorry it turned that way, I had no idea Disney employees are redditors too.
Guess you can't talk about movie's production without causing any drama.

don't worry, at least you got enough views in your article to fill your daily quota, maybe you can even ask for a raise in your next paycheck.

So basically long story short. Disney Animation Team under estimated The Lion King simply because of how the structural management within Disney treated both movies. Even though Katzenberg was the driving force behind The Lion King?

Not my article, I just couldn't believe someone could lie on the internet

also the lion king was a tremendous rip off of Kimba the white lion

we can't be sure of anything, the directors are disney renaissance veterans, that's a plus, but they might be out of touch , that's a minus.
then next writer is a guy who was weakest part of Zootopia, and then a guy who directed some funny movies and... Green Lantern, and soon Thor Ragnarok.

i think these people do this shit on purpose now.

The Lion King and Kimba, despite what many people want you believe, are really completely different films/stories.

Anyway, I knew about the rivarly thanks to the documentary Waking Sleeping Beauty. One thing this article confirm that I always thought
was the reason behind the sway is Glen Keane. I like the guy and his work but he's one of the most over hyped animator ever to a glorified god status. Everyone sucked his cock- both fans and coworkers. So the fact he went to do Pocahontas definitely was main reason for the sway. Alen Menken the other. Those two are probably the most talked about employees of Disney Renaissance era.

>The Lion King and Kimba, despite what many people want you believe, are really completely different films/stories.
well yes, they are different and you'll notice it if you've watched the anime or read the manga. the controversy is that Tezuka tried to pitch Kimba to Disney and they accepted but eventually they dropped the project, years later they took it again using as base the illustrations and some of the script they originally worked with tezuka but changed it enough to not give him any credit.
something similar happened to studio gibli when they tried working on a Pippi Longstocking movie, but this time the movie got caned for some copyright claims and they had to drop it even when they had many scenes already finished.

as one source implied in the article, Katzenberg might have downplayed Lion King in a meeting on purpose to motivate the Lion King team.

My favorite part is when that one animator said he didn't care how bad the whole movie was going to turn out, he just was happy to get his first animating gig and it was for animals.

because animating animals is fucking awesome and that guy knew that.

>no argument
Because he isn't arguing he's telling you to go to reddit.

I love New Groove to death but I'll wonder about this movie for the rest of my life.

I'd have just really, really loved it if Snuff Out the Light could have been retained in the final film.

>I love New Groove to death but I'll wonder about this movie for the rest of my life.

vid.me/xjIV/the-sweatbox

goddamit, this happens everytime: Frozen, KOTS, Zootopia etc.

no one wants to be oblivious 12 year old anymore.

when disney will ran out of ideas to make money, they'll release old scripts from the vault.

Pocahontas is an amazing film, one of Disney's best. The beauty, art and subtly of the animation, especially facial expressions and gestures has rarely been surpassed.

Shame its so underrated.

Exotic, beautiful, smart, sexy as hell, strong, adventurous, spirited, playful, spirited, funny... Pocy is my waifu!

Good art, alright music--but the story and characters are fucking terrible.

I give the theatrical cut a B-.

The 10th anniversary restoration, though, is a solid A.

You know what this thread needs?

youtube.com/watch?v=A734Ql4r2uM

enjoy

Story and characters are shit though. It is pretty and has good songs

damn... i just want to say same thing about the upcoming movie.. but i might be wrong about Moana Heroine and her Not-Genie friend.

m... make it stop....

Shame it's based on John Smith's lies.

powhatan.org/pocc.html

Is this the same person who did that Mulan/John Snow video?

Disney B team still did a good Job animating it art style and movements holds up really freaking well sure it ain't Tarzan good but it's still really good.

Being out of touch could be good. I haven't been wowed by many of last batch of Disney and Pixar films like I thought I would be. Frozen was underwhelming, and that's the reaction I get from 4 out of 5 people. But that 5th person always seems to fucking love the film.

Tangled was good but again, didn't stir me. And though only Up was a major disappointment from Pixar (we don't talk about Cars 2), they've yet to hit me in the feels for excitement, adventure or sadness in a long time. Confession: I still haven't seen Toy Story 3.

I hate to say it but I've been pretty bored with a lot of the Disney films lately. Zootopia was fine solid B-film IMO though I don't think it deserved its numbers quite as much.

I hated Big Hero 6 and still do. Boring bland generic shit is boring. Christ, that film is such trash.

Anyway, I'd be happy to see someone try a film that was out of touch. It certainly couldn't be worse than some of the bilge that's shambled onto the big-screen in the last ten years.

It's easily one of Disney's worst, story- and character-wise.

I thought this was common knowledge.