So we can all agree that Shin Godzilla was just shitty, anti-American trash right?

So we can all agree that Shin Godzilla was just shitty, anti-American trash right?

There was signs of a good film there, but it got crushed by Anno's utter disdain both for America and himself.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shin_Godzilla
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>anti-American

>its an american can't watch a film unless everyone in the flick is american and waving their flag while singing the national anthem and saluting for the whole movie

The only "American" we see as sympathetic is a Japanese actress who speaks English like she can't understand it, and decides to stick to Japan because she just loves it so much despite supposedly only being a quarter Japanese.

Also gives up her Presidential ambitions (wat) to stop a Nuke, a Nuke which would be totally justified, and had given Tokyo ample amont of time to evacuate.

I'll bite. What as anti-American about it?

I've see Godzilla films with anti-American elements, like Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah and GMK. But Shin Godzilla? How so?

I assume its because France is Japan's butt buddy instead of U.S.A? also

>Godzilla defeated American nukes.
>He truly is a Godzilla(Tm).

Without American drones at the end they wouldn't stop Godzilla, it was more about co-operation of all countries and Japan standing up for themselves instead of willingly being fucked in the ass by America and thanking for it afterwards.

>was just shitty, anti-American trash right
what exactly do you think godzilla is supposed to be

confirmed for quitting the film half way through

there's nothing anti-american about it, they actually cheer when the americans arrive with their superior armed forces

The film is not anti-American, the only countries mentioned as enemies are China and Russia

> The decision to nuke Japan isn't made until it is discovered that Godzilla has the potential for limitless evolution and asexual reproduction. He was more than Japan's problem at that point and the rest of the world wanted him eliminated quickly. Remember the last time someone decided to delay killing him? It is stated that the United States would be just as willing to nuke New York had Godzilla attacked that city instead.
> JSDF proves ineffective against Godzilla. It takes the US's most strongest non-nuclear weapon to injure the monster.
> American ambassadors in Japan are shown to be sympathetic
> The US military willingly participates in the final battle against Godzilla (they had no obligation to) and donates the drones used to tire Godzilla out during said battle.
Learn to pay attention

> American Ambassador is only a quarter Japanese yet clearly is full and can't speak English at all.
>Actually sabotages her political career to help Japan because she feels stronger connections to a country she's never been to than her home country.
>Hinted that her move was widely unpopular and the only other American seen agreeing with her is her Father.
>Feels nuking Japan would be an unspeakably evil crime despite GODZILLA.

There aren't too many white actresses who speak Japanese and English perfectly and would like to do a Godzilla motion picture, y'know

Fuck the 60% states of america. Cannot wait until you become North Brazil.

>it doesn't sucks america's dick so it's anti-american

It's almost like things aren't simply black-and-white. Sure the US does some unsavory things, though that's perfectly inline with the history of the actual country. Patterson initially treated the Japanese with contempt. But she would have hated to see another nuke dropped on her grandmother's country. Sounds like she had a strong attachment to her grandmother. And Japan isn't completely innocent. Shown by the incompetence of its leadership. Rando's mentor was fine with outside powers taking over the situation, however, the message of the film was that Japan needs to learn how to be independent. No one is going to act in the country's interests all of the time. Shin Godzilla is a coming-of-age tale for the country.

It is not difficult to see why there was a desire to nuke Godzilla. Anything less than a nuke had already been proven ineffective. Remember, Godzilla healed almost immediately after the MOAB strike and in retaliation annihilated a sizable chunk of Tokyo and the three American B-2 bombers ($929 million per aircraft). The citizens were given a two week notice to evacuate before the bomb would drop and the decision to nuke the monster was made by the international community.

>American Godzilla is a brawny, stocky hero that protects the innocent and saves the world
>Japanese Godzilla is now a twisted, scorched, disfigured abomination that eats, crushes or burns every living thing in its path in mindless spite
What happened?

American went with Godzilla's reputation
Japan took the monster back to his roots

The 2014 American Godzilla film from Legendary was widely and loudly disliked by Japanese audiences. The anti-American sentiment that saturates Shin Godzilla was included as a response to their disdain for the recent American version. Hell, they titled their movie "Shin Godzilla" which translates to "TRUE Godzilla", just as a reminder than the Godzilla in the American film is not the real Godzilla.

They were quite butthurt.

Japan 2011 nuclear meltdown. Same way the 1954 one was a response to the nukes. Godzilla is a baddy whenever tragedy hits Japan recently.

America was trying to capture the spirit of the Showa era heroic Godzilla, because outside the original film, that's where he's most famous. And they tried to distance themselves from the 1998 version where they made him a baddy.

Hell I forgot to mention the title tidbit in my OP, thank you user.

It's kind of annoying whenever they license Godzilla out to America for them to get butt blasted and release their own version.

Godzilla 2000 is fine, 1998 film sucked.
Godzilla 2014 was a fine movie though, and to make "True" Godzilla now, fuck off Toho. You don't bitch about all the royalty checks coming your way, passive aggressive bitches.

Well, it wouldn't be the first time.

The Japanese hated the 1998 American Godzilla movie so much, the villain in Godzilla 2000 (Orga) was designed to look like GINO and had the origin of being a poser trying to replace Godzilla.

Then they did GMK, which had characters remarking about how the monster that attacked New York wasn't Godzilla and only stupid Americans think otherwise. Then the rest of the plot revolves around Godzilla getting possessed by the ghosts of Allied soldiers who died in the Pacific Theater and trying to destroy Japan. It's then wish fulfillment as the Japanese defeat the Allies by defeating Godzilla and prove once and for all that they would have won WWII or something.

The Japanese don't take American Godzilla movies very well.

And don't forget Final Wars, with Zilla getting bitchsmacked by Godzilla.

I mean, I can understand them hating the 98 film as much as they did. Shit, most Americans hated it, too. It was a Godzilla flick NOBODY wanted. But the 2014 movie? It didn't seem disrespectful to the character at all and the redesign still looked like Godzilla. I understand not liking the movie for one reason or another, but I don't get why the Japanese hate the 2014 flick as much as they do (apparently it bombed over there, as well).

>It was a Godzilla flick NOBODY wanted
Leading up to release it was expected to be one of the highest grossing films to date

> It didn't seem disrespectful to the character at all and the redesign still looked like Godzilla.
That doesn't make a movie good.

Shin means "new".

T H I C C

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shin_Godzilla

> Producer Akihiro Yamauchi stated that the title Shin Gojira was chosen for the film due to the variety of meanings it conveys, such as either "new", "true", or "God".[

>Then they did GMK, which had characters remarking about how the monster that attacked New York wasn't Godzilla and only stupid Americans think otherwise. Then the rest of the plot revolves around Godzilla getting possessed by the ghosts of Allied soldiers who died in the Pacific Theater and trying to destroy Japan. It's then wish fulfillment as the Japanese defeat the Allies by defeating Godzilla and prove once and for all that they would have won WWII or something.

Actually, that sounds kind of insane and amazing.

You'll be dead long before that is even possible. Enjoy watching us enjoy the best of the best.

>Then they did GMK, which had characters remarking about how the monster that attacked New York wasn't Godzilla and only stupid Americans think otherwise. Then the rest of the plot revolves around Godzilla getting possessed by the ghosts of Allied soldiers who died in the Pacific Theater and trying to destroy Japan. It's then wish fulfillment as the Japanese defeat the Allies by defeating Godzilla and prove once and for all that they would have won WWII or something.

False. Here's the correct explanation:
Yuri returns to interview Isayama, and discovers that the souls of those who were killed by the Japanese in World War II are embedded within Godzilla, and wish to destroy Japan as punishment for people's attempts to forget Japanese wartime atrocities.

Yes, but then they destroy Godzilla and the Allied spirits, proving that Japanese wartime atrocities didn't happen. By their logic.

>30 years later

It means new as in new order or new normal. Its a reaffirmation of what the state of the "thing" is.
So you're both right in a way.

It's really bad symbolism, but Godzilla lumbering around and destroying Japan is supposed to be representative of those who keep bringing up Japanese warcrimes just to cause strife. Godzilla's defeat at the end is supposed to say "it's time to get over it and stop bringing them up".

Self-serving, but that's the message the movie seemed to be going for.

What we can all agree on is that you are over thinking Godzilla.

But to your point, the ideas behind Godzilla were always intrinsically linked to the bombings during WW2, atomic and otherwise.

nice work

Didn't they do the same thing in Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah? All of the Futurians are Americans who want to destroy Japan so it won't overtake America's superpower status in the future. However, one of them is a haffu and she betrays them to save Japan because she suddenly feels a deep connection to her motherland, burning inside her?

Nothing new for the Godzilla franchise.

>anti-American
>trash

user I do not understand your statement.

GMK is a phenomenal movie.

Dumb ameicuck, you don't deserve to watch a fine movie like Shin Gojira, stick to your quip shit flicks.

It wasn't just Allied spirits. Japanese spirits were involved too. And Godzilla accomplished his purpose, which was too remind the Japanese of their sins. The Japanese leaders thought they would easily crush Godzilla with their modern capabilities and were utterly BTFO. Only through the efforts of those that saw the errors of the past and with help from the guardian monsters was Godzilla brought down. Even after "defeating" him, the last shot served to remind the audience that Godzilla would return if Japan were to ever forget again. Thematically it's reminiscent of Honda's original film.

Good God. I thought that was Kim Kardashian without a wig.

>Actually, that sounds kind of insane and amazing.

Giant Monsters All-Out Attack is by the same guy who did the Heisei Gamera trilogy, so it's pretty fuckin cool. Most all of the monsters are out of character as all hell (Ghidorah is a GOOD GUY), but visually it's a very cool Godzilla film and it never has any dull moments.

The symbolism, as pointed out by other anons, is really on the nose and dumb ("Wah Wah stop bringing up the Rape of Nanking Wah Wah!"), but nobody watches Godzilla movies for the symbolism anymore.

>but nobody watches Godzilla movies for the symbolism anymore
> Gojira is considered to be a masterpiece
> GMK is the highest grossing of the Millennium films and one of the better reviewed entries of the series
> Shin Godzilla is the second best reviewed film in the franchise and highest grossing Godzilla film since the 60s

>Then the rest of the plot revolves around Godzilla getting possessed by the ghosts of Allied soldiers who died in the Pacific Theater and trying to destroy Japan. It's then wish fulfillment as the Japanese defeat the Allies by defeating Godzilla and prove once and for all that they would have won WWII or something.

It's been a while since I watched GMK, but wasn't Godzilla possessed by the spirits of both Allies and Japanese soldiers, and it was BOTH that were pissed at modern day Japan?

>1998 version where they made him a baddy
Was he really the villain?

He wasn't aiding the humans at the very least.

T H I C C
H
I
C
C

>wasn't Godzilla possessed by the spirits of both Allies and Japanese soldiers, and it was BOTH that were pissed at modern day Japan?
Yes see

Man, Godzilla films are fucking weird.

>Ghidorah is a GOOD GUY

>It is stated that the United States would be just as willing to nuke New York had Godzilla attacked that city instead.
I think this was to show the hypocrisy of the US. It's quite clear they wouldn't have done that.

I think it would've been a better movie if Godzilla was just blatant allegory for 9/11. Then in Shin Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah they could have a 5 minute battle that's solved by yelling MOTHRA

>YES!

How annoying. I wanted to slap her.
Also what kind of american called "Patterson" looks fully japanese?

She was a half, ya fucking idiot.

Maybe she was born on American soil and adopted by a Caucasian family? These things happen you know.

You're even dumber than he is.

I don't watch things that aren't in American.