Watching the episode of Bojack where Diana goes home to see family

Watching the episode of Bojack where Diana goes home to see family.

>Arbitrarily make main female character Vietnamese
>Write her family like they're an obnoxious Italians

Is this part of the joke, or did the writers really have no idea how to write a dysfunctional Asian family?

You can go through life without seeing a dysfunctional Asian family. Get over it.

Irish, actually.
The fact they live in Boston is a big hint.

>Implying you can't write what you don't have personal experience with

Oh yeah, that makes a lot more sense.

They were either several generations into living in Boston, or were fresh off the boat and trying way too hard to blend in, I can't remember which.
Either way the fact they WEREN'T a dysfunctional Asian family was the joke yes

>she has a brother that's a literal black sheep

I don't know why I laughed at that like I did, but I did.

I just rewatched the ninth episode of the third season (the one with PC and Bojack in the restaurant).

I know they have a tendency to bring out the worst in each other, but god dammit their chemistry is adorable. Makes me sad they never figured it out.

>Asian family integrates
>being in Boston, adopts dominant local culture, Irish

This should be held up as a great example of breaking PC stereotyping. Sup Forums is so far up its own anti-PC collective ass that it sees problems where no exist.

Speaking of visiting her family, you see that Paul Revere rode a horse to give his warning of the British. A horse person. What other historical figures were animals? Was the Dauphin of France during the 100 Years War a dolphin?

>being unfamiliar with the irish townie accent
>not knowing boston has a huge population of vietnamese

that and the NPR shit was hilarious

Sorry, I'm an ignorant west coaster. I guess it felt really unnatural because I've never encountered an Asian family that heavily integrated into local culture.

It's not a problem, it's more like "Why make her Asian if you're just going to make her family a Boston Irish stereotype?"

>west coaster
>never heard asian people trying to be black or mexican

you're a *sheltered* west coaster, nigger

because it's funny

because none of them grew up in Asia. They're a Boston stereotype because that's where they actually lived.

>We're American as pho!
I love subtitle jokes

Because that is the opposite of what the audience expects Diane's family to be like.

She's an overachieving asian girl, so you'd think she's the product of tiger parenting. But her family is actually a bunch of low class scumbags from Boston. You being surprised is the joke.

>Asian character has a dysfunctional family
>literally every-fucking-one assumes it's going to be some "WHY U WRITER? BE DOCTOR! I DID NOT REAVE VIETNAM IN BOAT SO YOU BE WRITER!" cliche
>completely subverts it by having her family be bizarre white trash

That's the joke.

irony

It's pretty much confirmed that Diane and mr. PB are getting divorced next season, why is she such a lying bitch?

She's a woman an consolidation is a big thing these days. If a woman isn't apart of feminism, she's an enemy of feminism.

I just think she was particularly obnoxious about her ideals this season, and now she's going to write slander about mr PB, for a rich annoying mouse?
She's worse than most of the cast but pretends to be better, mr PB is way too nice for her

>overachieving
>Isn't it great? I have a multimillion dollar contract and you're writing for an internet blog!

Being an overachiever just means you work really hard. You don't actually have to actually achieve more than anyone.

Is the word consolidation a thing in feminism?

Diane seems like she got a pretty big slap on the wrist from the writers with the whole glasses of water thing. She's a bitch and the writers seem to know that.

>He hasn't lived in BASTAN
Lucky you

Why do the bring out the worst of each other? That's something who usually happens when people are too similar. But they are quite different.
PC could be the one to wake up Bojack and Bojack would be the one to calm PC down.
The mouse seems like a good guy tho, a bit bland but still

They are suppose to be assimilated so they act like regular harps from Southie

>Arbitrarily
>Italians

jesus Christ get it together OP

you haven't been to boston before, have you?

>Arbitrarily make main female character Vietnamese

Fuck off. Assholes like you is why every non-white, non-hetero character nowadays is defined by that trait. It's obnoxious as hell.

Bojack does it right by having it just be one facet of their character, which may never get attention from the show at all.

Bojack brings out the worst in everyone, it's a tragedy of his character. People go to him to act out the shittier aspects of their personalities and then blame him for it. Diane lived with him for months to be an irresponsible woman child. PC needs him to obsess over an impossible challenge. Todd needs him to both clip his wings and then resent for doing so, since he's incapable and unwilling to do shit with his own life ("accidentally" tipping 8 million...).

Furthermore, there's no issues with making a character arbitrarily a horse, a cat or a dog. Now, making a character vietnamese? That's fucking bonkers.