I'm a big fan of classic films. Mostly from the early 40's to early 60's

I'm a big fan of classic films. Mostly from the early 40's to early 60's.

But am I the only one that finds films from the 1910s-1930s completely unwatchable? It's as if they hadn't learned how to make an interesting story yet. Only a select few films from that era are watchable

1/10 bait

If you find Wizard of Oz unwatchable you need to quit life

Agreed.
Most movies before the 1940s are shit.
Like most cars before 1950.
And like most computers before 2030.
And like all Operating systems before 2100.
Industries need to mature.

If you don't enjoy charlie chaplin or buster keaton films maybe you should just neck yourself. Also Nosferatu.

>Only a select few films from that era are watchable
r u retard?
>Only a select few films from that era are watchable

I watched Chaplin shorts this whole past week, really shit. Not OP.
Buster Keaton can be funny sometimes.

wow! what a cinephile! do you also now of this film called Titanic?!
there are a lot of greats from the 30s, 20s and 10s
you're just a pleb with no taste

>30s, 20s and 10s
Name some except Wizard of Oz.

you're just going to call them shit anyways but
L'atlante
City Girl
Blue Angel
Baby Face
Safe In Hell
you probably don't have the attention span for silent films so i won't bother with those

So basically pre Citizen Kane films?

Almost as if it changed how films were made forever or something.

t.pleb who doesn't know what filmic german expressionism/pre-code era is

>L'atlante
>City Girl
>Baby Face
>Safe In Hell
I'll report back in a week

don't bother, the board doesn't need more plebs shitting this place up even more

Thanks for letting me off the hook, I won't watch them now. Forgotten and not much was lost.

>L'atalante
That movie was shit

way to prove my point, retards

Well obviously every decade technology advanced more and films became much better and much more fun to watch. You can't really compare a noir from the 50's to a silent film of the 20's, they're nothing alike.

>Well obviously every decade technology advanced more and films became much better
absolutely no substance to this statement

Dr Mabuse

My favorites from the 1920s/1930s, according to my low-attention-span pleb taste (eg. everything by Hitchcock or John Ford is intolerably boring):
>The General
>City Lights
>The Gold Rush
>The Wizard of Oz
>It Happened One Night
>Top Hat
I rate all of these up there with the best modern movies.

Also
>The Adventures of Robin Hood

M exists faggot

>early lang
>early hitchcock
>dark universe monster movies
after this OP, i don't think we can be friends anymore

why would i watch a silent film when i can read a book?

just pull out your spinner and calm down

so you've never seen one, gotcha

The late 30s was maybe the greatest time for film ever.

Just watched Charles Laughton in the Hunchback of Notre Dame the other day. The make-up is fucking incredible. It's creepy and heart-warming and makes the Disney iteration look like complete shit by comparison.

Seriously though, the practical effects still hold up. Movies like this and Intolerance tell their own story through the sheer scale of the sets, the grandeur of film during the golden era.

Silent film only really works as comedy, because slapstick doesn't need speech. It's funnier to watch than to read.

If you like Rowan Atkinson, Jim Carrey, or Jacques Tati, then you'll probably like some silent comedies.

30s were on average better than 40s because of lack of Hays code and WW2.

>Silent film only really works as comedy
yikes

The late 40s are great, though. Post-war movies opened things up a great deal in terms of storytelling. Noir became a very powerful thing. Being able to tell stories that didn't have happy endings, that were more complicated and layered. Human stories. It's also one of my favorite times in Hollywood.

wish Sup Forums has more of this kind of dialogue

For you

It would be a big board, if that was the case.

Pre-code has the same things you're praising about Noir film.

What a good film. I was pleasantly surprised. Well shot and acted. This girl was also really cute

It does, but something is definitely different. Maybe it's the acting?

First half of Gone with the Wind is moderately good, not even Clark Gable can save the second. Really it should have ended after the burning Atlanta scene. Like so many "classic" movies, it's too damn slow. Watch It Happened One Night instead, it has much better pacing.

Wizard of Oz was much more advanced than the films of its time AND it came it 1939, the last year of OP's criteria

In what way was it more advanced?