Is this movie a meme or legitimately good?

Is this movie a meme or legitimately good?

i like this movie a lot, but anyone you ask here will probably just call it a meme or reddit if they think you enjoy it

It's a pile of shit movie that you might enjoy if you have the mind of a teenager.

How it won 5 oscars was clearly a money scheme

How can a film be a meme, you spewing imbecile? What would a director think if you asked them if their film is a "meme"?
>phoneposter
Just fuck off.

Ingmar Bergeman was a big fan of this film which was strange

Spacey's pretty funny.
Thora had nice titties.

It's *mostly* great. The "reveal" wasn't necessary, and weakened the movie.

it's okay. the whole suburbs-are-not-really-as-idyllic-as-they-seem trope seems pretty tired now and was far from new then but the script and director were above average and all of the actors were excellent as was the music and cinematography.

I think it's a bit of both. The shit about plastic bags is pretty insipid and the movie as a whole veers into overindulgence and silliness at times, but it's still pretty good.

what reveal? it's not like "who is the fag?" was an ongoing mystery or something.

It's an essential movie, sure it has its flaws but I don't recommend someone go their entire life without watching it.

I found it to be very entertaining, unlike most movies today where I can barely sit through a half hour of their garbage.

It's an OK movie that's been highly-overrated over the years.

It's great in a satirical way. I'd put it in around top 10-15 of all time for me.

>its a "how Hollywood imagines a white family living in the suburbs really is" movie
no wonder it won an oscar.

(its not bad though, probably a 7/10.)

its popular so all the hipsters here will say they hate, but its honestly a very good film

There wasn't any reveal...

>not bad
>7/10
And you wonder why RT controls your life.

The whole movie is about how people didn't know what they really wanted and everyone is struggling trying to achieve mistaken dreams

Its a shitty movie most modern teenagers watch and think its deep
The only reason it ever did well was because standards were fucking low in the 90s

I mean revealing that Chris Cooper is a closet gay was a hackneyed twist that was just the homosexual writer getting back at homophobes. "You're all fags yourselves!"

Meme movie

If anything, it's been rated lower over the years.

it's kino. That plastic bag shot. Wow!

>he doesn't know
Homophobics are more likely to be gay themselves, user.

>Truly, I have become American Beauty

I stopped watching right there.

Not as good as everyone says but worth watching

70% is a "not bad" film.
60% is "not awful if you like the genre"

paved the way for future movies in a way that looking back at it now it seems cliche
but it was one of the first and that should be remembered

>every male throughout history was secretly gay
>this is what faggots really want to believe

anyway the film probably isn't worth watching at this time as its very "of its time" I doubt a new viewer would get much out of it. Spacey is great though.

Everyone was "closeted" you moron
That was the point.

The wife was an uptight cunt who cared about couches
The little slut was actually a virgin
Spacey refused to think he got old
Military neighbor was a fag
Teenboy was just a kid watching a god damned piece of garbage in the wind

Everyone was wrong about themselves.

Hackneyed twist? It goes along with one of the major themes of the movie about identity.

>>every male throughout history was secretly gay
Is every male a homophobic cuck like yourself? I highly doubt it.

at least i'm not ugly

I agree with all points, but weren't we supposed to see that the Teenboy was actually the one who was right in the end. There's nothing that says there is any real flaw with him besides others thinking he's weird.

Maybe I'm just tired of seeing the "extreme homophobe is secretly gay" trope. I just saw the movie for the first time this year. I probably wouldn't have minded as much if I had seen it when it came out. It doesn't matter much though. I loved the movie.

not getting it: the post

Was it autism?

Yeah that trope is lame, but it wouldn't have been as tired in 1999

It's only been in the last 10 years where liberals have pushed the smug "Don't like gays? Huh, sounds like YOU have to work things out with yourself :-^)"

I understand where you're coming from, it can be a lame trope but it fits into this movie and the character perfectly.

I'll have to watch the movie again to say for certain, but from what I remember, it doesn't "feel" right that he should be right one.

I think that for the plot of the movie, the person who was the most right was Spacey after he realizes what he's doing with the girl and before he gets shot.
In that brief time he isn't conceited.

For the kid to be right all the time, it just doesn't feel like he earned it like Spacey has.

Projecting pretty hard there, friend.

i bet you're like 17

Why because I talked shit on today's movies? Le wrong generation meme?
I'm 25 by the way and am probably your father.