How do I tell if a theater has the ability to show IMAX 70mm?

How do I tell if a theater has the ability to show IMAX 70mm?
I am currently on vacation and really want to see Dunkirk

Other urls found in this thread:

imax.com/news/experience-dunkirk-imax-70mm-film-and-imax-laser
lfexaminer.com/theausa.htm
imax.com/theatres/cinemaximum-istinyepark-imax
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

almost none do

imax.com/news/experience-dunkirk-imax-70mm-film-and-imax-laser

>hahah look at this le epin film format that 0.000001% of people can see

inb4 people here claim they've seen it

bullshit, lines are way too long due to unavailability of the format and costs are through the roofs

you're shut in gigaNEETs who do not go outside

Ask the anvil and falcon man xDddd

showplace icon chicago has it. morning/early afternoon shows are almost empty.

Chicago is not listed above.

imax != imax 70mm

>Arizona
>The Grand Canyon visitors center

what the fuck

If it doesn't have 1570 don't bother.

lfexaminer.com/theausa.htm

They literally advertise that it's IMAX. Though, if the theater projects regular films in the same rooms (halls, auditoriums?) then chances are it is not true IMAX. Real IMAX is always shown in a special room on a special screen specifically designed for IMAX 70mm projection.

>le epin film format that 0.000001% of people can see
IMAX 70mm showings and laser projection is nothing new. Pretty much every Nolan film since Dark Knight has been projected in true IMAX 70mm.

IMAX built lots of theaters for museums back in the 80s and 90s. They usually show IMAX-produced documentaries - I actually like most of them. Saw Voyage of Time (45 minute IMAX version) at the California Science Center last year.

99% of imax are imax but not 70mm imax

Is IMAX with laser better than IMAX 70mm?

I got my 70mm imax tickets 2 weeks in advance for the AMC 13 theater in NYC. best seats.
amc 13 is basically the best theater on the east coast.
when I saw interstellar there they claimed it was one of three theaters in the world where nolan personally checked that the projection was up to par.
needless to say the screening of interstellar blew me away.
nothing is better than imax 70mm

Better color and image stability at the cost of some detail. However check the individual screen itself first - if it's some bullshit like the Chinese Theater where the projection is laser but the screen itself is only 1.9:1 bullshit instead of the 1.4:1 IMAX ratio, it still won't be able to display the full image.

This is just not true. Every major city in the world has a true IMAX theater, at least that's what I imagine to be the case. Here in Berlin they have one (sony center). They even have one in Nuremberg (cinecitta), and i'm sure there are others throughout Germany as well that I'm not familiar with. Maybe it's just not the case in your particular third world country?

on fandango how do i know if the theatre is showing it in 70mm?

>turkroach calling others thirdies

Unless you live in a city with a population of over 10M, it isn't in 70mm

ok i live in las vegas and i found the only theatre that is showing in 70mm but i dont think its imax 70 just regular 70
still worth it over regular imax?

idk lol

i'm just here to remind people that only insanely expensive containment cities have it

I'm in London. They have two of then here

IMAX with laser IS IMAX 70mm,
Laser projection is optical film projection.
The difference being discussed is between fake IMAX (liemax, or IMAX with digital projection) and real 70mm IMAX.

Chinese Theater in LA had been converted to accommodate 70mm IMAX in 2013 with the premiere of Interstellar.

Actually there are 2 true 70mm laser projection cinemas. One in Karlsruhe and one in Berlin. Easy to Google actually.

>all the 70mm sites are in nigger infested cities where the experience will be ruined by the audience

I saw hateful 8 in 70mm, and while it is nicer, it is not worth all of the hassel and price, and most people (especially on this board) wouldn't even notice a difference between fake imax and real 70mm.

they fucking demolished the imax in sydney

>bad things happen to australian
good

it's not imax 70mm, but it is 70mm.

how do you even know ?

imax.com/theatres/cinemaximum-istinyepark-imax

is this 70mm?

ask if the screen is square or a rectangle.

this

the dunning kruger effect is raising its ugly head

Even if you have to wait, it's worth it desu. The film itself is probably a 7-8/10, but the 1570 presentation (coupled with the insane sound) really elevates it to something else. I have fucking PTSD from the Stuka strafe runs.
>mfw the sirens

For those who live near one of the theaters, it might be worth it, but for me I'd need to drive 45 minutes, and a ticket costs double the price for than the regular showing at my local theater. Also at my local theater I they let you pick your seats online free of charge, so I can just show up right when the movie starts, while for Hateful 8 I had to wait in a crowded line for 30 minutes and still got bad seats, because apparently all these people have 2 hours to waste standing in line. it's just not worth the price and extra annoyance.

I'm not doubting that this movie is true imax, but most movies they advertise as Imax were digitally altered after anyways to make it Imax, or only has specific CGI scenes with high resolution and larger frame. So these theaters are scamming people and extra $10 for IMAX. I even work in the industry and I can't rationalize going to see movies in IMAX. It's all advertising. The differences between IMAX and a regular showing are minimal.

>Air raid sirens blaring
>Ayo, fuck man it's da po-lice!

Real analog 70mm IMAX is enormous, you would have to be blind not to be able to tell the difference.

>The differences between IMAX and a regular showing are minimal.
Even fake imax has far greater screen resolution than any regular theater. And not the mention the sound system with perfect acoustic treatment and multi-thousand watt amplifiers and speakers even behind the screen which has microscopic holes throughout for the sound to get through able to reach 117dbs without ever reaching distortion.
And you get all that just with the "fake" imax already.

>I even work in the industry.
I highly doubt that.

I saw it last night in 70mm at the Omni Imax in Ft Worth Texas

suck on my dick

Going to see it in IMAX 70mm this weekend. Were the aspect ratio shifts jarring like parts of Interstellar? Or were they pretty well done like TDK?

is this worth driving 3 1/2 hours to california to see in imax 70?

Cinemark 17 today here

Anybody get the shirt?

here

Of course, but you can get just as good of an experience at a regular theater. Also, you have to sit in the middle of the row, in one of the middle columns in order to actually hear the all of that audio as intended. But damn, now you`re waiting in line for another 45 minutes just to hope you can get the seats you want (at least at the IMAX closest to me).

It just isn`t worth it friend.

>I highly doubt that.
That's fine, you don't have to believe me, but there are constantly products going on big or small, local or international, so think about all of the roles that need to be filled. I could even be someone that's a driver for actors, or even just a caterer and I'd still be considered part of the industry if it's a unionized production. I do location audio and post-audio mostly, but have also done some AC and grip work on smaller productions. Sage for blogshit

Wait, your IMAX theater doesn't do reserved seating? At every single one near me you HAVE to do reserved seating - literally 0 IMAX theaters in my area do general seating, ever.

thinking about going to see it at 10:00 am on a monday
do people go to the movies that early?

Nah mornings are great because no teenagers or nogs, only quiet old couples who sit in the back

>now you`re waiting in line for another 45 minutes just to hope you can get the seats you want

I get my perfect seats with a few clicks on my computer/phone and I arrive at the theater literally a minute before it starts with zero waiting whatsoever.

DUDE 4:3 LMAO
What kind of pathetic selling point is this?

I am about to see it in in true IMAX 70mm...what am I in for fellas?

unemployed urban youths ruining your experience

>Wait, your IMAX theater doesn't do reserved seating? At every single one near me you HAVE to do reserved seating - literally 0 IMAX theaters in my area do general seating, ever.

nope, I just checked even to see if things have changed.

Cineplex here in Canada pretty much has a monopoly. I try to avoid them at all costs now.

And the last time I went to one was to see John Wick 2. It was a regular showing but they STILL tried to charge you extra to pick your seats.

I didn't, and so when you go in, they have 3 whole rows roped off which is their "reserved seating". No one else sat their either, so pretty much you have the 3 best rows completely empty and everyone else sitting around them. What a waste. I pretty much exclusively use Landmark cinemas now. They let you pick your seats for ANY movie whether its regular or 3D or IMAX without an extra charge. Unfortunately their IMAX isn't real IMAX so it isn't worth it for me to pay the extra for it. The closest real IMAX as I said is at a cineplex 45 minutes away.

It's much easier for me to just buy my reserved seats for landmark online and show up right when it starts, and it has no extra cost, and it close to me. Cineplex sucks now, they're literally trying to come up with any reason to charge you extra.
>leather seats
>19+ showings
>3D
>AVX
>IMAX
>Tru-IMAX
>DBOX

All that extra crap they attach to their movies, you can't even just go buy a regular ticket anymore. They're forcing you to pay extra by putting some gimmick in every one of their theaters. Makes me rage.

I'm going to see Dunkirk again next week at this theater.
Watched it yesterday in a regular format, magnificent.

>implying niggers can afford 70mm imax