Puppets and animatronics are tenuously Sup Forums-related, yes?

Puppets and animatronics are tenuously Sup Forums-related, yes?

If so, I just wanted to say that I used to love this fucking show.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/k9b9aoINXzk
youtube.com/watch?v=-v2mvO7Yq48
youtube.com/watch?v=zkvQP6-L7ec
twitter.com/AnonBabble

FRANIEEEE, YA VINEEEEE

NO LA MAMA

And then they all froze to death. The end.

I watched it when it was new, but remember almost nothing about it. There was a joke somewhere about the Dinosaurs not knowing why years were a descending countdown on the BC scale. There was a plot-line to throw the grandma into the volcano. The baby always called the father as "not the mama". That's about it.

That ending kind of fucked with me as a kid...it was a bit dark for a family sit com that was mostly blue collar worker and middle class suburbia family problems with teenage kids and miscievous toddler.

Kinda hot for the wife

Not the mama!

youtu.be/k9b9aoINXzk

>they made the son and daughter have "hair" like Bart and Lisa Simpson as a joke

I love this show, they weren't afraid of exposing real problems, like the steroids abuse or the father-son dilemma, or also the scarcity of things.

Also I love the "medicine is a farce" episode even if I don't agree.

WE ALL GONNA MAKE IT BRU

>the episode where they go on a game show
>Earl boils all dinosaur knowledge down to three categories: Animal, Vegetable, and Rocks
>declares that fruit is a rock
Every time.

The roided-out Robbie did things to me.

Artists can be dark motherfuckers sometimes.

Was a great show. One of the best sitcoms ever and wasn't afraid of being topical cause it could mask it with being fucking dinosaurs.

Helps that as a kid i wanted to be a paleontologist

This show was incredibly well made and holds up shockingly well after all this time.

It's like That 70's Show. It's actually That 90's Show, but with animatronic dinosaurs.

Well technically speaking it IS animation.

Does it still hold up, comedy-wise? Literally all I remember is the baby fucking around with a mouse

It very much does.

Absolutely

(OP)

Iwatched it as a kid, but i can only remember the plots were they think the baby isn't actually theirs and when the daughter accidentally discovers that the world isn't flat, while Vasco Da Gama invents brownies.

Holy shit that was dark! never saw the ending when I was a kid.
And how did the father "fuck up" the world exactly?

There was the one where TV made everyone really stupid to the point where people were forgetting to breathe, and then reading made people really smart and they stopped watching TV.
And then someone invented the TV-Guide, so people could read about watching TV so they would watch TV.
Also the Potato religion and being forced to eat your own head.

We're going to need another Timmy.

they all died

I chuckled while writing down my memory about the brownies episode and that part about the TV guide made me laugh out loud only with the synopsis.

I remember not enjoying this show as a kid but that probably was because I were too stupid to enjoy the absurdity of those gags, I really should rewatch this one day or another.

Thanks pal!

His company used him as a scapegoat.
They paved paradise to put up a parking lot, resulting in a species of bug that eats an invasive plant going extinct, and so they tried to get rid of the plants themselves using pesticides but accidentally killed all plant life in the world in the process.
Then he thought that if they bombed out all the volcanoes, the clouds they would spew would create rain, but instead it created nuclear winter.

They built a factory on the breeding ground of some bug that eats some plants and keeps the plants growth in check. When they did that, they made the insects nearly extinct. After trying to get rid of the plants in several failed attempts, the dinosaurs blow up the volcanos which create clouds to blot out the sun and kill the plants. If I recall correctly.

Hey, here. Yeah, is correct.

I used to love this show, too. Even stumbled across a bunch of the Happy Meal toys while spring cleaning recently.

You should go back and watch it. One of the best written shows I've ever seen.

The even most powerful moment isn't even shown in this vid as it cuts out.
You know the wacky outro of the show with the themesong playing over stills from the episode with the credits?. In this final the credits are just shown over a view of the house with the storm outside with I don't remember that soft sad music or no music at all.
Knowing the normal one this has a real lasting impact. The only potential thing they did not add that I would have is the lights in the house go out signalising no more power.

It's like Rocko's Modern Life in that regard, pretty much timeless

Yes

Why does everyone keep saying they died? They froze, so if anyone wants to resurrect the show all they have to do is unfreeze them with some deus ex machina

Don't think that's going to happen since it was supposed to be nuclear winter

It's not nuclear winter, ash blocked out the sun. Nothing was radiated. Come on you're not thinking like a writer.

>volcano ash
>not radioactive

Seems necessary:
youtube.com/watch?v=-v2mvO7Yq48

Lots of 90s shows had Bad Ends, I have no idea why.

They also got away with tons of dark comedy that probably wouldn't fly these days, it would be called a "show for adults" or something.

Wasn't there also an episode where they throw their elders off a cliff?

How are they gonna survive for thousands of years without light?
It's exactly what the real dinosaurs make extinct. Not the meteor blast itself directly but the winter afterwards because sunlight- reduction. And that was only a few years!

NOT THE PJAMAMAS
NOT THE PJAMAMAS

thanks guys! stil fucked up but also sad and enlightning in a strange fashion and also....
strangely familiar sounding

also this sounds familiar is some way... I'm starting to think I DID see the final episode and just erased its memory

They don't have to survive, they're frozen. Plant life grew back eventually.
I get what you're saying, a slow thaw might kill them.

Into a volcano. It was tradition.

So it wouldn't be a total waste, it was ruled that males could throw their mothers-in-law, so Earl was really excited about it.

The 80s and 90s was a golden era for dark family movies and shows. With stuff likethe dark crystal and labrynth or even the never ending story and princess bride

>Lots of 90s shows had Bad Ends, I have no idea why.

I was only i child douring that age but a bit of memory and seeing the pessimistic way in which the decade is portrayed nowdays those bitter endings aren't that much of a surprise to me.

After all in the '90s the cold war just finally ended, the great, futuristic year 2K was just behind the corner and yet nothing seemed great or futuristic as promised. i would be bummed too.

Fucking christ Sup Forums doesn't even understand temperature? I know yousuck at /sci/ but fuck me. They didn't suddenly become ice cubes. Plants dies and the food chain died. They starved

Definitely.
I watched a couple of episodes recently and it's still as funny but also unsettling as it ever was.

The production quality of this show was insane.
I really don't wanna know how long it took them to shoot a single episode.

>With stuff likethe dark crystal and labrynth or even the never ending story and princess bride
So you meant dark comedy, AND fantasy stuff. I agree wholeheartedly.

Damn, those were the days.

I never really liked it as a small kid when it was on. It just had that dark unsetteling undertone.
Learning later that the last episode killed the entire world and it was their fault was NOT a surprise to me.

>Lots of 90s shows had Bad Ends, I have no idea why.
I guess the 90s was just mostly free of actual crisis so people might have gravitated towards more downbeat things to wash away the sound horrible trash pop music.

It was a time they didn't think kids had to be talked down too. Fuck they made the Ewok movies darker than the Star Wars movies. And the Transformers movie has dsrk as hell so many deaths. And we are all familiar with TMNT.

Why does every kids show now talk down to them and make stories simple and light toned? Dark Crystal and Ewoks gave me nightmares but i loved the shows all the more for it

>This episode is the show's series finale. It was the last show produced and the last one filmed. However, ABC ended up cutting the show's run short (due to falling ratings). Seven remaining episodes which were produced (and which would have come after this episode) did not air. However, ABC aired this episode in order to properly end the show's run - by killing off all the dinosaurs.
>Kirk Thatcher spoke of this episode in a 2015 interview: "[T]he strange thing about that was that we hadn’t intended it to be the last episode, we sort of just wrote it as “just another episode” that we could potentially use as an ending, but then we found out that we were cancelled, we turned that episode into the finale as it aired"

>This episode was rated "TV-PG" in later reruns due to disturbing images.
>>Reality is disturbing
>mostly free of actual crisis

robbie was my husbando

also his friend spike was a qt

>mfw I found out Spike is Stabler from SVU

i was always just annoyed that

there wasn't a weight gain episode

but then again that'd be hard to pull off with animatronics
BUT THEN AGAIN
they could probably do it if they did a steroids episode

Reminder that there was an episode where they used Robbie performing a mating dance by himself and getting caught doing it as a masturbation metaphor

We just weren't giant pussies then. That ending today would be buzzfeed headlines for weeks about traumatizing children, politicizing a kids show, and misogyny of something or other.
People were allowed to feel things other than outrage back then, and it was character building.

Now back to your regularly scheduled episode of Modern Family.

Who would've been the one gaining?

the teens

it could've been about shitty cafeteria junk food/a fast food chain opens nearby the school and obesity strikes the school

That was a fucking awesome episode.

This show mostly creeped me out.

Hmm, if they did (and didn't have the budget to make new bodies like they did with buff Robbie), I could easily see them repurposing a spare Earl body for Robbie.

but what about charlene

but then again if it was just robbie to get fat and other students bullied him that would've developed my degenerate fetish further along down the slippery slope

Columbine was late 90's.

Remember the "Charlene's pet cavemen" episode? Were the costumes that fucking huge, or did they get a couple jockeys to play the humans?

Fran and Charlene, ALLLLLL day. And Monica.

Weren't the cavemen kids? A little of both, I'd say.

i couldn't believe that was the end. like, jesus christ.

EEEHhhhhhh no. we've had a lot of discussions about it, and while PUPPETS are Sup Forums, animatronics are definitely Sup Forums
It's not so much a divide over realistic vs cartoony, it's more like whether these things are meant to be actually happening, like real living things. You're not supposed to be thinking of them as animatronics, they're meant to be special effects.. this is also the difference between, say, Avatar or Star Wars (not Sup Forums) and a fully-cgi movie (Sup Forums)

nuclear winter refers to the nucleus of a snowflake or raindrop, not the nucleus of an atom. common mistake
strangely enough yeah if you went deep enough there would be noticeable radiation there, but no
thing is, if ONE parking lot's worth of insect habitat was between them and the end of the world, then they were doomed regardless. 90s eco messages fuck this up a lot. You can't tell people "ONE LITTLE THING could fuck everything up" because it can't. That's the point, if it could, it would anyway, so you give up.
Rather, a CONCERTED EFFORT can make changes, so don't that. Like when we all burned coal all the time in all of our houses, that had a noticeable and documented environmental impact (not a bunch of made-up shit). Then we stopped, and it went away. it's that simple.

To be fair, a lot of dinosaurs actually did survive into the ice age.

Part of it is because most had become covered in feathers by that point. A small handful of raptor variants had even become endothermic possibly.

The problem wasn't the cold, it was the lack of food.

>Why does every kids show now talk down to them and make stories simple and light toned?
Networks have far more control now than they were willing to put in back then.

Creators were basically left to do what the fuck ever, like how adult oriented cartoons usually are still. But at time went on, networks began to micro manage more and more.

That and people saw what sold the best as straight to DVD garbage.

>nuclear winter refers to the nucleus of a snowflake or raindrop, not the nucleus of an atom
No it doesn't it is refered to an ash filled atmosphere created by nuclear weapons. When scientists talk about the dinosaur extinction event they say Like a Nuclear Winter, they don't call it one. Usually they use more correct terms like ice age.

And yes it is true the further you go down in the earth the more radioactive isotopes there are because of convection there is plenty or radiation in volcanic ash.

Yeah, Columbine is seen by a lot of people as when the 90's ended culturally speaking. That or 9/11.

When everyone started freaking out about security, and opposition to and support for many, MANY hot button issues made people more clannish.

youtube.com/watch?v=zkvQP6-L7ec

The recent hypotheses are that most of the land animals that survived were burrowing ones. This helps in two ways, protection from the initial heat and lster cold and possible food sources that were not killed. The birds that survived have been posited to be burrowing ones but it is unlclear if it holds up to all evidence.

This was also a paper that showed a mathematical model that an adtroid the size that killed the dinosaurs would have thrown up rocks that came down blanketing the earth with hydrogen bomb every 10^2 KM. Seems far fetched to me but it passed peer review a few years ago. I should read if there are any follow ups to it.

Why is everyone so obsessed with a massive event to justify extinction. Truth is, when your scale is in the millions of years, shit that looks sudden actually happened over thousands and even hundreds of thousands of years.

In the last few hundred years, thousands upon thousands of species have died out and if you move the scale to the last few thousand years, shit gets ridiculous. Most of these animals died when new animals were introduced into their ecosystem. Be it humans or not.

If you were looking at the fossil record for our era on a scale millions of years, you'd see a massive extinction event. But, no meteors or massive shifts in climate are to blame. Just some animals migrating and out competing other animals.

At the time the show was produced, Earl was the most sophisticated animiotronic device in the world. A bipdeal robot controlled by 5 people at once.

You're thinking of the 80s. Grunge and metal effectively derailed the bubblegum pop train by like 15 years.

The amount of species that have died while humans have been around is large, but nowhere near as massive as the cretaceous extinction. When you have about 2/3rd's of all life dying out in a very short period of time, the natural conclusion is that something big happened.

The reason for that interest is that humans are more interested in rapid change. How many people think about the rain eroding the rockies and how that balances to their growth. People are more stunned by rapid change like Mt St Helens.

Me, I'm both because of physics background. So large time scales and short time scales are interesting. The middle...sometimes i pass over. The earth covered in nuclear bombs appealed to the short time scale and high energy scale of me that likes quantum physics, so it sticks in my memory. Not saying it's true mind you, it needs more evidence

There was a getting huge episode where Robbie in fact got huge. Everyone but Earl, Ethyl, Monica and misc critters were people in suits with animitronic heads.

Are you kidding me? He wasn't a guy in a suit?

Of course not.

This show reminded me of Rosanne in it's set up. Even the set looked like Rosanne's house to me. Rosanne also had a very dark end. Basically, this show is Rosanne with dinosaurs.

>Earl was a full-bodied, realistic animatronic puppet, with the facial radio controls operated by Dave Goelz in season 1 and the first part of season 2 and by Mak Wilson for the rest of the run. The body suit was performed by Bill Barretta (in one of his earliest Henson projects) and, on occasion, Tom Fisher.

That don't explain crocodiles.

>land animals
>crocs
Do you have a brain defunction?

>Dark Crystal and Ewoks gave me nightmares but i loved the shows all the more for it
To be fair, I was really young when I first tried to watch The Dark Crystal, and freaked out at the life drain scene (justifiably). Only watched the whole thing some 20 years later, and damn, soundtracks and visuals these days SHOULD learn from those movies.

The pop was mostly okay, I never understood why all the downbeat music.
Just learned recently that Alanis Morrisette made a couple pop albums in 91-92, way better than what she made later.

>very dark end
Someone died. One of the kids died in Home Improvement too. That's not dark, it's cheap drama.

god bless joel