Now that the dust has settled, Sup Forums, what was your honest opinion on Captain America: Civil War?

Now that the dust has settled, Sup Forums, what was your honest opinion on Captain America: Civil War?

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/10939918
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Bland. The Russo brothers wrote it in an attempt to give Honest Trailers and Cinema Sins nothing to make fun of, and it shows.

It's great.

Also completely averted the third movie curse, for once.

I overhyped it myself, it was a solid movie, nothing really surprised me. Saw everything coming, had a few minor flaws here and there (why the fuck did zemo try to drown a guy upside down when his NOSE AND MOUTH WERENT IN THE WATER??). Hate how it spawned a meme of ZEMO BEST VILLIAN OMG GENIUS like chill it was all luck

It's good
personally, i left the theatre having a good ol time. my mates and i were talking about all the cool parts
thats all there is to it

>now that the dust has settled

Even with your memetic language it's still great bud

Officially made Captain America the first superhero to have a consistently great superhero trilogy.

Never would have imagined that would be the case ten years ago.

It was good but it felt too much like a set-up movie.

Everything was great except one thing:
STYLE.
Russos's movies look bland as fuck and the soundtrack was pretty generic. I felt like watching a TV episode. Can't they afford a cinematographer, for fucks sake?

I fucking loved it 11/10

It was good, one of my favorite superhero movies so far.

True geniuses know how to use luck to their advantage.

Also
>now that the dust has settled

I want Sup Forums memes to die already.

THANK YOU BASED RUSSOS

It handled the ensemble cast well while still making it all center around Cap. It also gave great introductions to Black Panther and Spider-Man.

The Russos didn't write it though.

THANK YOU BASED RUSSOS

So they start filming Infinity War this year, right? We should get the cast announcement pretty soon.

So good people take all it did for granted. It did a bunch of small miracles like making avoiding the third movie curse, making a balanced 3rd movie for Cap, Avengers and a 4th for Tony, never villainized one of them, made falcon cool, introduced Panther perfectly with like 11 minutes of Screentime, used the little available Zemo time and integrated it with the plot, gave a satisfying third act for a Marvel movie.

It's not without it's flaws, but it what it did do right compared to the task they had ahead of them, they knocked it out of the fucking park.

They always help co-write and design the story. Also, Russos = Joe Russo, Anthony Russo, Marcus Russo and McFeely Russo.

Manages to be huge and bombastic whilst maintaining a narrative and script as tight as a Nun's butthole.

I personally place it as the second best MCU movie on the basis that it lacked the flare and style that Guardians of the Galaxy had.

It was okay. 7/10

It was way better than it had any right to be, considering how much was packed into it. It should have been an absolute clusterfuck, but nothing was confusing or convoluted.

I genuinely didn't like it. I found the entire plot forgettable and felt the central conflict between Stark and Rogers was badly established. Just after age of ultron, what stark wanted made him seem stupid as all fuck.

The acting was great, the action was a lot of fun and as MCU films go it was one of the better ones, but the plot was deeply unfulfilling.

I didn't like it as much as Winter Soldier, but honestly I'm still shocked this movie turned out as good as it did.

Civil War could've easily turned into such a big hot mess it's not even funny. I dread the alternate timeline where it wasn't made by this team of writers/directors, the amount of characters and character introductions and plotlines and shit source material calls for an absolute disaster. Somehow, they made it work pretty well.

Not a DCcuck either, BvS is an awful film [spoilers]that I enjoyed in spite of everything because of Jeremy Irons[/spoiler]

funny how this in "reverse" describes batmanvsupes

>Just after age of ultron, what stark wanted made him seem stupid as all fuck.
Memes aside, what did you mean by this?

I thought it was completely in character for Tony to side with the Accords. ESPECIALLY after the events of Age of Ultron. Same with Cap, him choosing to go against them was in character after the events of Winter Soldier.

It's great. Cap has the best trilogy. MCU spidy is best spidy. Winter Soldier is still better though.

Irons is good in everything though except from that Dungeons & Dragons movie

>It was good but it felt too much like a set-up movie.

This will b every MCU from now on. The movies will go like the comics that everything is in a constant state of buildup and hype. I've gotta be honest it will be a struggle for me to be invested in the MCU after Infinity war because it's going to give me comic flashbacks where an event is finished and we have to move onto the next one

I've used this examples many a times:

Winter Soldier : Simple dive into a pool, perfect form, no splash
Civil War : million twists and turns and flips, good form, some minimal splash

They are impressive for the opposite reasons, and watching a second TWS would've just been boring.

Avengers : cannonball into the pool - big intentional fun splash
Avengers 2 : second cannon ball by a fatter guy trying to be as funny as the first one
BvS : trip and fall into the concrete

Considering the inevitable problems created by having a Civil War movie this early in the timeline I think that the Russo brothers did a great job.

What this guy said, absolutely.

>Avengers 2 : second cannon ball by a fatter guy trying to be as funny as the first one
top kek, that's a pretty good analogy

It was a good movie but Iron Man was completely in the right. Ross too, to a lesser extent. The film tried way too hard to dance around the issues it presented.

When you put it like that...

>Iron Man was right

But that's wrong.

Those descriptions are perfect.

Of course Iron man was right. Nobody seems to remember that when Cap first fucks off to get Bucky he has no idea that he's innocent.

Oh fuck, are we going to do this again?

We never reach any conclusion with this Cap side vs Iron Man side stuff.

It's really not. The Avengers have never cared about collateral damage and need a leash. Every Superhero team does. And Bucky was far too dangerous to be left alone.

Alright, let's mutually agree Ross was wrong and move on.

I don't remember a single thing from this movie, just like I don't remember anything from winter soldier besides the elevator and knife fight.

I settled on begrudgingly calling it good.

But I have severe gripes with it. First off the movie didn't need more than T'Chala, especially since the movie already has to do character work with Vision, Wanda, Bucky, Cap and Steve. Spider-Man was a completely pointless diversion that doesn't do anything for the story and Ant-Man is such an afterthought to the story, he literally has no reason to be there.

It borders on Amazing Spider-Man 2 territory. Trying to play with all toys at once and just throwing everything in there.

And then there's the absolutely inconclusive open ending.
The only thing the ending actually resolves is that Zemo now wears handcuffs. The emotional conflict is left wide fucking open and after a movie that already was a bit inconcise not having any real conclusion to it all makes it just feel like what it ultimately will be an asterisk in the opening sequence of Infinity War:

>*Captain America and Iron Man started hating each other back in Captain America: Civil War
>- Find-it Feige

He went to bring Bucky in himself and prevent Bucky from either getting killed or killing someone in self-defense.

Sure.

ROSS DID NOTHING WRONG

>but Iron Man was completely in the right
I'm not gonna argue against you, but a lot of people agree that it was very one sided. The problem is that it's split nearly 50:50 as to which side was "obviously" right. Now you can argue the side opposite of yours is dumb, but that doesn't reduce it's merit, wince that was exactly the point of the movie. In the first 2 weeks you had a lot of discussion threads everywhere with people arguing both for and against both sides, and never reaching a consensus.

They played their audience like Zemo played the characters.

Its boring. They spend almost all the movie talking or introducing new Heros. I liked it and watched it two times when it came out but being honest. I wouldn't watch it again.

>It borders on Amazing Spider-Man 2 territory.

Quit talking stupid.

dory pls

>The Avengers have never cared about collateral damage

The third acts of both Avengers movies are about them doing their best to reduce civilian casualties and collateral damage.

>The emotional conflict is left wide fucking open
That was the point, though. Cap has a 3-arc story beginning in TWS, going through CW and ending in IW. Tony as a similar one (albeit initially at the hands of Whedon) starting in AoU.

I know that it doesn't match the numbers in the titles, but you still haven't seen the final chapter. That's like saying that Empire was inconclusive.

>Its boring
>I liked it
>watched it two times
>I wouldn't watch it again
Damn user, you're really tsundere when it comes to this movie.

Honestly, it's probably my favourite of the MCU movies. It managed to carry all of those characters whilst still rooting itself as a sequel to The Winter Soldier. It managed to blend the right amount of humour without going overboard, which is something that Whedon failed at, and the characters were all shown in a believable light, and didn't feel as one sided as it did in the comic.

Ant-Man and Spider-Man were there to represent the superhero community at large and how Cap and Stark are iconic leaders within that.

How about sending the invincible android? How about bringing that Android with you to Africa so he can step in when things go to shit? How about taking the invincible android with him to fight the supersoldiers who couldn't hurt him in any possible way?

Why does Cap hate Vision?

> were all shown in a believable light

Except Ant-Man

They were there to bring in more money for the movie

I geeked out when Ant-Man became Giant-Man.

It was presented as a specific training mission for Wanda. They wouldn't want two rookies on the job and attract attention to the red dude with the cape (although this part could've been easily avoided).

The fact that Crossbones was there was news to them. It was just another mission.

He should've been used to retrieve the Shield and the Wings, but they wanted Agent 13 to show up as much as they could manage. Also, probably didn't want to have Pym Particles vs. Vibranium on camera and force themselves into a writing corner.

It was a fun time. Arguably better than the source material, but again it suffers from a weak villain

There's a chance that invincible android will kill Bucky because, lol, why not. He teamkilled in the movie as it is.

>Arguably better than the source material
>Arguably

Enjoyable, it bothers me though that people keep flying (heh) to the airport battle when I found the chase scene one of the more interesting bits of action in the MCU so far.
Every single fucking inch of that Apartment was used and when Bucky gets out he's hauling ass like a professional, only stopped when T'Challa equally ups the ante and Warmachine gets involved as a roadblock for what was about to pop off.
You could feel the sheer desperation in just about every action Steve, T'Challa and Bucky take and it silently gets across everything you need to know about them.
The Airport stuff was sort of just a back and forth slapfest square dance. Take this, take that, line drop, reset, change partners.

Spidey vs Falcon and Bucky was also good, but short. I'd rank it Chase Scene > Lagos stuff showing Team Cap's synergy > Airport > Final Fight

Don't get me wrong, the final fight's team combo thing was cool and all, but what the fuck, Stark? I know they're super soldiers but just get the higher ground and rain down death. Drawn out for nothing.

If I'm honest I didn't really care about the other material as much. I don't think it's bad, just not as engaging to me. The guilt, vulnerability and stumbling but well meaning efforts to make up for it that Stark and Wanda go through, Scott accepting his true place in the world might pit him against the better interests of the world, Widow and Hawkeye torn between sides, Glossing over Peter's reasons without bloating them out and all those little things were well done, tightly paced and all but just not very compelling compared to what Steve and Bucky seemed to be going through.

The Airport scene was fun, but it was COMPLETELY out of tone with the rest of the movie.

You have this political-thriller kind of movie with Superheroes, and then you throw in Ant-Man/Spider-Man quipping all over the place.

Based Russos gonna make Tasha/Bucky a reality though

>The fact that Crossbones was there was news to them. It was just another mission.

There is no reason that you would not take somebody like Vision with you on a mission even if it's training just in case things go horribly wrong (Which they did). Cap didn't need to include him in the ground work just keep him back for support if needed. To avoid anyone seeing him just have him float way up in the sky

That was more accurate than it has the right to be.

>There's a chance that invincible android will kill Bucky because, lol, why not.

Even though he's been shown to be the most passive member of the Avengers?

I liked it, but I don't think it was as good as Winter Soldier.

Just fyi - the guy upside down would eventually drown when the sink his head was in filled up with water.

Ok, if that was the idea, that just didn't work for me.
Yeah, they now have scenes where people say
>wow you're Captain America
>wow you're Iron Man
but I don't really see how that helps the movie in any way.
Also that shit belongs in act 1 not into the last scene before the big act 2 set-piece.
Too bad act 1 was scrapped for time and it consisted of half an action sequence before it ends and kicks off the plot, one scene for Tony and I guess you could maybe count Peggie's funeral. But if we're counting that then things already start looking really disjointed because the plot is already going full steam at that point.

That reminds me:
>Before she died, my aunt always used to say "Steve, don't sign the fucking Sokovia accords."
Real subtle.

But then they'd have to manage an untrained Vision and and untrained Wanda, was my point. It went iffy as it was, and Vision is a nervous wreck when he actually does need to use his powers.

We both know exactly why he wasn't there, but it still made sense within the story.

To be fair, you can't really do TWS-like action with the other Avengers. For an Acenger fight, I thought it was super exciting and better than anything Whedon did in his movies.

I too prefer hand to hand combat/car chases/grounded shit that's perfect for characters like Cap, but you can't expect something like that with Ant-Man or Scarlet Witch or Iron Man.

That... Is actually a really good analogy, user.

Good job.

Better than TWS which shits the bed in the Helicarrier section even though the rest of the movie is perfect

Ok so it is better than the source material

>That's like saying that Empire was inconclusive.
But most of Empire builds up to the final chase scene. Luke must chose between his training and his friends, at the end he chooses his friends and at great cost, he saves them and they live to fight another day.
That's a great way to wrap your middel movie.

If the movie is about "these two people are at odds over this unresolved issue", then ending the movie with "these two people are at odds over this unresolved issue" is a terrible way to do it.

Alright lads, choose

strawpoll.me/10939918

>inb4 contrarians who would choose Cap 1

Fun.
More fun than I had reading the comic book.

It would've been if the whole movie wasn't specifically for explaining how they got there in the first place.

I dunno, it felt logical to me, and I don't think Cap not apologising at the end would've been a more out of character. Killing him just to bring him back and never show in the next movie how he dealt with the guilt would've also been a cop out.

I'm not saying it's as good as Empire, just that it was a "to be continued..." by design.

Thank you, based Russos.

>So they start filming Infinity War this year, right?

November.

> We should get the cast announcement pretty soon.

As if we really need it. We already know it's going to have all the Avengers, Ant-Man, Spider-Man, Dr. Strange, Thanos and The Guardians of the Galaxy.

I'm curious if Loki or Hela will be in it. There were some rumors that Loki would replace Mephisto in the story and Hela would replace Death.

It's extremely vainilla, Steve3 is a fascist and the bully he was talking about when he was young but that isnt intentional, the airport fight was terrible. And it looked like a tv show.

The movie should had been Black panther vs captain america and you would had have a better movie. BP was the only rational character.

Well done, my son.

see They are both good by the exact opposite reasons. Pitching them together is meaningless, because it boils down to mood and preference.

Captain Marvel too, possibly without her powers.

>nothing to make fun of
Are you kidding me? There's tons of holes in it.

Yeah, based Irons being retired cop buddies with Batfleck was the best thing for me too.

That's exactly what The Russos brothers style is.

>it was a "to be continued..." by design.
I like how they renamed Infinity War Part 1 and Part 2 now so Part 1 hopefully doesn't have to be another "to be continued..." by design.

It's still gonna be two parts of the same story. They'll just be separate enough to each have 3 acts, instead of a massive second act cliffhanger with no pay-off in the first one. They'll still have a cliff hanger, but still some resolution within the movie.

freight car.

>The emotional conflict is left wide fucking open
They intentionally didn't want Steve and Tony to repair their relationship in the end. Because this film is about the breaking of the Avengers, and they want to keep it that way to justify why they are missing during all the solo films coming up. Zemo won. This was also why they didn't kill anyone, as even a single death would cause reconciliation at the funeral.

>BP was the only rational character.
He was on a vengeance mission until he encountered Zemo busy blowing his brains out.
He relentlessly attacked Bucky because of some nebulous news footage off the site of the explosion that killed his father, even though Bucky was just defending himself, not attacking.

>I'm curious if Loki or Hela will be in it.

Loki probably will, if rumors about him being a consultant to Thanos on his assault on earth are any true. Doubt Hela will be in it. She'll probably bite it in Thor 3 like Laufey and Malekith did in their respective appearances.

>Captain Marvel too, possibly without her powers.

In all likelihood, yeah. I did unfortunately miss her. Though she'll probably get her powers in the movie.

They're TV directors, so.
But I agree. Ultron felt a lot "grander" in scale, and I'm worried how Infinity War is going to look.

I disagree on that. Aside from Spider-Man who was super blatant, I felt that it was a natural progression and end to some plotlines from earlier movies.

Ant-Man was also there because he and Scarlet Witch were by far the most powerful people on Team Cap, everyone else was just some flavor of super soldier, it would have been completely one sided without them.

Hell, Giant-Man was 100% the reason Cap and Bucky were able to get out of there, because he was soloing all of team IronMan at once.

I wonder how many people who didn't watch Ant-Man went to watch it after seeing Civil War. A lot of my friends did that, everyone loved him in the movie.

>Though she'll probably get her powers in the movie.
Yeah, probably gets into a comma after sacrificing herself in her plane to show her bravery before she gets powers, like they did with Steve.

Fun
Forgettable