Is there any Uncanny X-Men run post-Chris Claremont worth reading?

Is there any Uncanny X-Men run post-Chris Claremont worth reading?

Yeah.

the other post 2000s Chris Claremont run was kind of fun, I thought. He just didn't give a single fuck.

But is there any defining development in those, something relevant that happened and it's worth cheking out?

Gillen

Uncanny X-Men specifically? Only Gillen.

Gillen's Uncanny X-Men

Wow, was anything that came after Claremont so mediocre? Why is that?

There is something to be said about the premise of Utopia under Fraction.

I also liked Kelly/Seagle on X-books in late 90s.

Gillen's run falls apart when you realize half the run is AvX. Yeah there's some good issues but there just isn't enough to call it a good run.

Depends, if you mean JUST Uncanny, I don't think Lobdell's as awful as people make him out to be though not great either and anyone ranking him among the worst X-Men wrters is just memeing it up. He could write some bad stuff, true, and a lot of what he did (crossovers especially) was at the behest of editorial but he could do some damn good stuff too, especially character-focused issues pulled back away from the superheroics.

The X-Men are perfectly readable, if a product of the time, until around the bankruptcy era that you start getting into the really bad stuff: Onslaught, Davis' run, the Twelve, Claremont part II, Casey's run (which, granted, was turn of the millennium), etc.

The ancillary books were probably better from the stuff I've read. X-Force is a decent book, especially the late '90s run. You had PAD's X-Factor run, Deadpool, etc.

>There is something to be said about the premise of Utopia under Fraction.

Yeah, it was good there for a minute as Fraction tried to reestablish the X-Men as superheroes first and an endangered species second. It fizzled out and was marred by Land's art in a lot of situations, but it wasn't awful by any means.

I miss the superhero direction Fraction and Gillen were taking them. Remember when Scott was like "We're Earth's Mightiest Heroes. Let's show them"

New X-men by Morrison
Astonishing X-men by Morrison
X-Statix by Milligan
New X-men by Kyle and Yost
Uncanny X-Force by Remender
Messiah Complex is a serious contender for best X-event ever as well as one of the 10-20 best stories in general.

None of those are Uncanny X-Men.

>Is there any Uncanny X-Men run post-Chris Claremont worth reading?

1)Fraction
2)Seagle had some nice post-Phoenix Jean Grey moments.

OP here, thanks a lot for your insight.

I'm doing research of the writers and pencilers that came after Claremont, and I see Greg Land is a recurrent artist in the title which is a pretty big turn-off for me. Damn, he pops up a lot, I don't know if I can take it.

>Fraction
No

Yes. The guy wasn't so good that there's never been a better writer on X-Men. Thinking that is just silly.

I'm sure most of the folks who post here don't like it, but I've been enjoying the current Uncanny X-Men series. Probably more than the other two. I believe the guy who's writing it also wrote the Magneto MAX series. Though it's a bit weird seeing Magneto run an X-Men team and it's even weirder that they call themselves the X-Men when there's already another X-Men team operating. It's not even like the 90s when there was Red Team and Blue Team or whatever, it's just like "oh yeah we're also the X-Men. But not the same as that other team called the X-Men."

>Magneto MAX series
Wasn't a max series.

>I've been enjoying the current Uncanny X-Men series. Probably more than the other two
It shines by being the one-eyed among the blind. Not that I have a particular dislike for it, but it's still a really slow series so far and it is in real danger of ultimately going nowhere if it keeps this up. Especially with events interfering at every other turn.
I'm also still not convinced Bunn won't do something incredibly stupid at some point.
At the moment the book is mostly just coasting by by reminiscing about some old Claremont stuff.

Ultimately, I can't call it "worth-reading", exactly. It barely passes the time.
Oh and then there's the fact that it's actually an X-Force book just holding up the title, because Marvel may be dumb, but they aren't so dumb yet as to drop the Uncanny X-Men title from their line.

>"oh yeah we're also the X-Men. But not the same as that other team called the X-Men."
it's new, but not that new.

See, then they should have called Extraordinary X-Men "Uncanny X-Men" and just call this book "X-Force".

idk if you read this week's issue, but it looks like they might be going somewhere in the coming issues with exploring into the origins of the team, where Mags gets his funding, how the Hellfire Club plays into everything, so that could speed up the pace a bit.

I enjoy the early 90's X stuff. The Jim Lee, Whilce Portacio. Chris Bachalo, Greg Capullo, and Rob Liefeld days

>Is there any Uncanny X-Men run post-Chris Claremont worth reading?

I remember enjoying Uncanny X-Men #281–#290 when they came out, but I was a pretty big mark for Whilce Portacio's art at the time (his art hasn't aged all that well, but I still have a soft spot for his work).

There were some interesting developments during the period such as Bishop joining the team, an Iceman storyline that wrapped up a loose end from a Louise Simonson-written story in X-Factor, a somewhat weird digression into another dimension where the X-Men find Colossus' long-lost older brother, and some drama between Forge and Storm. Nothing particularly important or memorable, but pretty solid reading.

I pretty much stopped reading the title once Portacio left the book, though, so I can't really say much about what came after.

Finding Pietro's brother was such a stupid plotline. Even Claremont couldn't come up with that bad of a plot.

Seriously as if we needed another vengeful family member within the fucking X men. Also Mikhaal taking the remaining morlocks to form Gene Nation went NOWHERE.
90s X men was a travesty with nothing good in it save for the costumes borrowed for the animated series. I can never understand the fags that want to relive that era. Its the same fags that wanted and loved Aarons Xbook

Lobdell was awesome

>I don't think Lobdell's as awful as people make him out to be
In his early X-Men stuff he immediately started assassinating their characters and the stories were poorly structured. Throw in editorial fuckery and artists dictating the storylines his run is just a complete mess.

I've picked up a Lobdell book now and then since those days and he always seems just as bad. His writing "voice" just rubs me the wrong way.

There was a lot of potential in Kelly and Seagle's runs but it's so sad to watch them get their legs cut off before they could really alter the stale status quo.

Generation X was great. It probably helped that Bachalo is awesome. Unfortunately, Lobdell never worked on anything half as good. He's not solely responsible for the awfulness of 90s X-Men but he didn't do anything to save it either.