Generation Kill

Can we get a GK thread going?

Finished it today and loved it, although I wouldn't say it's on the same tier as the holy trinity of television - Mad Men, The Wire and The Sopranos.

I loved how natural the interactions between soldiers felt and it had a solid cast to it, where everyone of importance got their place to shine and had enough screen time to be developed nicely.
CGI aside, what was the significance of Captain America's character? To show that there are retarded fucks in the military, the same as that incompetent faggot who was the leader of Beta or what?

o-okay

>the holy trinity of television - Mad Men, The Wire and The Sopranos

???

What about Band of Brothers you retarded pleb

>what was the significance of Captain America's character
He was a real person and so was Encino Man.

this

apparently they toned him down. he's somehow even worse in real life.

He had a high ranking relative so he was protected I guess.

It's ww 2 kino, but doesn't surpassed the mentioned shows. Also, this thread isn't about which show is the best, it's about Generation Kill specifically and please stick to the topic at hand, thanks.

I know it was based on real events and people, but what was his significance in the show? That's my question and I'd like an answer that isn't "he was a real person", if such answer exists, of course.

his father is a rich and influential guy, right?

Full bird Colonel

Follow my tracers!

>his significance in the show?
his significance was showing what incompetent fucking retards a lot of officers are, and the sort of bullshit good officers like fick have to put up with.

alrighty then

You're question is stupid but I'll humor you.

Captain America was their commanding officer and demonstrated the rift between the many of the enlisted and the officers on several occasions with his ineptitude and poor decision making. Plus he he was great comic relief.

>that scene where a Sergeant tells him to stop picking up enemy weapons and he just meekly obeys

I don't care how retarded an officer is, no Captain is going to take that from an NCO. Unrealistic as fuck.

Empties entire AK magazine into civilian parked suv, to deny enemy transport.

I only asked it to reaffirm my initial thought, so it's not that retarded, but regardless, thanks for humoring me user.

don't forget his mind games with the baionetta

Unless you are just given your position by your high ranking military connection and did not work for it as much as an unconnected person would.

those two apparently just had desk jobs before the marines realized they needed more officers on the field and put them with the combat team

which explains a lot

Yep. OP you should read the book the show is based on. It's pretty cool.

>be me in the field today driving
>at the TOC to drive officers
>the one in the gunners hatch has his gunners strap on backwards and doesn't clip in despite me telling him 5 times
>also doesn't know how to open the gunners hatch so I have to climb through/on the vehicle in full kit for him
>major just standing on my hood for 30 minutes talking to the gunner while we're trying to leave
>female LT in the back too busy taking selfies and loses her PC so I have to get it for her
>LT that is my TC demands I gun it into a mud puddle despite it likely getting us stuck so I can splash his other LT friend that's the gunner with mud
>Same TC spends thirty minutes finding a SGT to fill the nonexistent radios in our truck
>when we finally get done they just stand around talking while I do everything with the vehicle to get it taken care of

Being lower enlisted is fucking suffering.
GK is the only show to ever properly capture it.

Planning to buy it along with Storm Of Steel and All Quiet On The Western Front.
Also, nice digits!

Imagine if the USA had to fight an actual modern army with mostly equal technology.

>Storm Of Steel
Great book. Ernst was one badass motherfucker.

I imagine they would get their shit together.

Aye, so is All Quiet On The Western Front, although I hate myself while reading them since I find WW1 disgusting and hate it.

You have to apply the same retardation to other militaries though. You really think the chinese or the russians are actually any better at filtering out the crayon eaters than the marines are?

No, it'd just be the same shit we've been doing for 20+ years.
Enlisted carry the burden of the officer's mistakes. The officer corps, or the least O-4 down is utterly fucking incompetent, but our enlisted actually has experience that allows us to function.

We had to put our fucking PL in the truck during our last field because he kept trying to kick in doors after we repeatedly told him it was a friendly village and we were just there to talk to people.

Also this.
If you think we're bad, you should see the ROK soldiers. Holy fuck.

>Non-recon staff officer shoehorned into a Company Commander position because of a lack of bodies
>NCO is a BRC graduate and combat veteran

No. The POG does what the grunr tells him what to do when it's time to do grunt stuff.

>he thinks officers actually have authority
Rank =/= Authority

>If you think we're bad, you should see the ROK soldiers.
What is you experience with the South Korean Soldiers?

Alright so when you're over in Korea you have periodic drills where you get a text/door pounded on at 2am in the morning then you have to be outside with all your shit in 10 minutes to drill for a NK invasion. We had this one overweight dude show up late with his helmet unmade, his ruck half put together, one strap of his m4 not tied in, and none of his name tapes on. He proceeded to walk half a mile dragging all his shit towards our motorpool like a fucking refugee. They're entirely conscripts, and get paid some ridiculous amount like 20 dollars a month, aren't allowed to have cellphones, and can't drink. They're miserable as fuck, and in the event of a war in no shape to go. I can't say I blame them, my translator was pulled out of college for electrical engineering for conscription, id be rightly a bit pissy about it too.

And for anyone else that's been to Korea I'm sure they're more than familiar with the (((Katusa Meetings))) that they have at least 4 times a week.

>Same TC spends thirty minutes finding a SGT to fill the nonexistent radios in our truck
As commo, hearing that a truck doesn't have radios AND that you would even need an E-5 to fill them is suffering

You're underestimating officers, im pretty sure he thought an SKL was a magic peace of equiptment that worked via voodoo magic.

What the fuck is wrong with you? It's one of the most tragic periods of man's history.

And that's why I fucking hate it, because it was a sheer clusterfuck and man truly died for nothing, even more so than the one that followed.

men*

I'll give you that. Your reason for hating it is the reason I love it, in a sad sense.

different strokes for different folks, eh

You are the redditiest redditor i have seen all day holy shit, just fuck off

Band of Brothers is call of duty.
Generation Kill is battlefield.
The Pacific is arma.

what's so reddit about it?

>what was the significance of Captain America's character
>asking what was so reddit about it instead of ignoring the comment
why do you even come to this board if you already have a place where you will fit perfectly called reddit

The Marine Corps pretty much revolves around the Infantry both literally and figuratively. Before they can train for their particular MOS, a Marine officer attends "The Basic School" which trains each newly commisioned 2nd Lt to lead an Infantry platooon. Much like the idea of "Every Marine a Rifleman" every Marine Officer is a rifle platoon commander. As such for a non-combat MOS officer to enrich his career, he can spend time in a combat unit of some kind such as Infantry, Recon, LAR, etc...
Division Recon is open to even boot as fuck lieutenants and both Captain America and Encino man managed to make it in with 1st Recon Bn.
I can't say I know what happened to Encino Man, but Captain America was blacklisted from any further combat unit.

Asking a question about a show you want to discuss is somehow forbidden? Even if it's a retarded one, answer it and be a faggot while doing it.

oh wow you said faggot, im sorry my dude i was wrong about you, you can be part of our ebin culture of memes xd

ur gunna get fragged that way son

Much appreciated.

stay frosty, gents

HE WAS A BOY
SHE WAS A GIRL
CAN I pleb

MORE LIKE TROMBLEY?!!