So, went and saw Suicide Squad last night...

So, went and saw Suicide Squad last night, and I can't help but feel that David Ayer really dropped the ball on this particular film, both in his script writing and directing. When the very first trailer was released, I was expecting a very dark, gritty film which dealt with the underside of DC's comics, and how a team comprised of the "worst of the worst" could turn out to be the heroes that the world would need. And though I partially got that, I can't help but feel the whole film was an absolute mess from the word go and perhaps those rumored reshoots are to blame.

Maybe it's just me, and it very well could be, but when I walked in to see Suicide Squad, I was expecting a Suicide Squad movie, something that would be better than the show Arrow delivered or even Assault on Arkham, the animated film, and as I left the theatre, I felt disheartened to know that, ultimately, Suicide Squad just missed the point.

At least Viola as Waller, Karen as Katana, and Jay as Diablo worked out well. Did not really care for an All-Star Batman & Robin version of The Joker, nor the not really Harley, or Will Smith as Will Smith throughout the film.

Anyone else feel this way Sup Forums?

Ayer said the reshoots were to add more action scenes, not humor

I guess the movie got edited to hell after BvS came out

See; why I enjoyed BvS in theaters, I noticed that the editing was a bit wonky in spots and I felt it was ultimately remedied in the Director's Cut. But with this, so many reports are already starting to be released that tons of footage was cut, which makes sense since half the shots from the trailers didn't make it in.

I mean, if you're already dumping that much footage, why do reshoots for more "action"? Unless the original version of the movie didn't match up with Warner's new vision for the DC line.

I don't blame Ayer, I blame Warner for rushing him and fucking with the movie.

If we're lucky, Johns might be able to keep them from interfering with Wonder Woman and JL enough that we get half decent movies out of them

>Warner's new vision for the DC line.

Probably, I'd guess Warner was in full panic mode after BvS was panned and they realised Squad was equally dark and people had loved the trailers.

But everyone was raving about the trailers because they were dark, gritty, and had all these interesting tidbits to them.

I think he meant that the movie was dark and people loved the goofy trailers.

>expecting a very dark, gritty film
And why didn't that expectation change when you saw more trailers? It should have.

>the film was a confusing mess
Yeah, that tends to happen when you put an edit by a fucking trailer house in theaters.

Here's what happened in chronological order:
1) Warner decided to make a SS film, immediately began making branding deals and release day deals that ensured the film couldn't be pushed back
2) With a firm deadline in place, Ayer is given a measly 2 months to write a script from zero
3) Shooting begins, is marred with strange behavior from Ayer and his cast, ends.
4) While Ayer and his chief editor are building the movie, BvS hits theaters and has no legs
5) DC execs freak the fuck out, goes to a trailer house for a trailer that's a bit "brighter" and more like Guardians of the Galaxy
6) The trailer with the "new attitude" tests better than the old one, DC hires the trailer house to make a competing edit of the film alongside the director's
7) Test audiences apparently preferred the trailer house's cut, so that's what's in theaters.

>hen the very first trailer was released, I was expecting a very dark, gritty film which dealt with the underside of DC's comics, and how a team comprised of the "worst of the worst" could turn out to be the heroes that the world would need
That's probably what it was closer to but a)BvS underperformed sending WB into panic mode and b)The reaction to the Bohemian Rhapsody trailer was incredibly well-recieved so they just figured "Well we'll let those guys edit the movie"

Heh. "reports"

>But everyone was raving about the trailers because they were dark, gritty, and had all these interesting tidbits to them.
No, what people were raving about was how colorful and fun the marketing looked and the reaction to the music that came with the trailers got a really positive reception. That's what WB saw first before anything

Man, why the fuck does this studio even get directors to do a "specific vision" of something if they're just gonna edit the fuck out of it. TWICE now

There were multiple cuts of the movie at the request of WB

Not really. I just wish the side cast got more screen time and more banter between them. Solid movie though.

>something that would be better than the show Arrow delivered or even Assault on Arkham
As far as filmic merits go, Suicide Squad shits on both of those, not by being great but just by being competent at all. I don't get the boner people have for what is cheap looking and corny tv production and lazy direct to video animation.

How many cuts, do you wager?

>Man, why the fuck does this studio even get directors to do a "specific vision" of something if they're just gonna edit the fuck out of it. TWICE now

The footage that the editors had to work with was shot by the director, you can do a lot with editing but they can't magically pull an entirely new movie out of their asses unless they literally reshoot all of it. And they didn't. The released movie can't be too far from what the director intended.

>you can do a lot with editing but they can't magically pull an entirely new movie out of their asses
You can do exactly that, user. Editing is fucking powerful.

>Those deleted scenes
Man. Most of these would've made the film better. I was also really hyped for the bar scene which never made the cut.

You forgot that the people who saw the cut before the trailer guys cut it had very positive reviews

Warner literally went out of their way to try and make the movie bad

God bless corporate meddling.

Holy shit, this is pissing me off with the Joker scenes.

That shit is EXACTLY what I thought things should be portrayed as, not whatever the movie did

Pretty understandable that Leto was upset, what with all the Joker material cut.

>Joker/Harley fight
>didn't make it
Fuck everything. It's "Cap vs Black Widow" again. Why am I always getting blue-balled when it comes to my fetish?

Your opinion is so unique. I'm so glad you shared it with us.

Jesus christ, and the worst part of the movie were the action scenes, does that mean more characterization was discarded in order to make room for those shitty action sequences?

If his opinion is common, that is a good indicator that it is valid.

How can the masses ever be wrong? The lowest common denominator will steer me right!

Oh god I didn't see the trip. Fucking gross. No (you)s.

The movie was okay but the editing was absolute mess.

Once again you could tell that at least 40 minutes have been cut like in BvS

Stupid person with a name! Stop being so handsome, funny and unique! I bet that nasty trip is an MRA and Trump supporter!

The worst part of the movie are the action scenes though.

Yes. All the bellydancing Enchantress and CGI Incubus were too

is the same person who edited BvS the same as SS?

>And the kids?