Work On Your Art

you heard the man!
post progress.
post an old drawing and a new one to compare.
critique others with your own post if possible, point out weak spots so people get a sense of what they need to work on.
if you've got a project in the works give us some details!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Co8tenPDP8Y
fastswf.com/gnBkz38
youtube.com/watch?v=coo3Lzair_Q
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I know it's real rough but I like how it came out.

Cyclops as an Longbowman

I just I could figure out how to depth better

the girl in the four-five minute animation im planning out.

Does anyone know any good sites that teach how to build a good professional portfolio?
Y'know for future future use?

another shot of her. Basically the story is, girl moves into creepy house, spooky shit happens involving some weird ghost and big rusty knight.

if you want help with foreshortening (things getting smaller if they're pointed at the camera and whatnot) try the coiling technique. Let's use your arm as an example. Basically, you sketch a coil wrapping around his arm, the way the coil would look changes if the arm is in a different position, this way, you can get a good feel for how wide/round the arm or leg would be in a particular shot. Also, his legs look like they're attached weirdly low. Sketch out a mannequin or something to help you out.

She's supposed to be undead.

make your images smaller when you export them

a lot of your proportions are off, her arms in the 2nd pic are shorter than they are in the 1st one. also, what the fuck is going on with her legs in the first picture? it looks like you were trying to go for some sort of perspective, but if that were the case then her right leg should've been larger and not her left.

well it depends on what you want to do. you can build a general portfolio, that showcases everything you can do, or you can build a specific portfolio for a job that you're going to apply to. usually that's what most pros do, since if they're applying for a job that requires a lot of figure drawing then they'll tailor their portfolio to include a lot of that. make sure everything in your portfolio is either completed or cleaned up in some way, you can put sketches in there but they're usually better off staying in your sketchbook/the general portfolio.

trying to come up with some more characters for a comic.

I think you suffer from the same problem I do, which is your lines. They look too "basic brush preset" and lack consistency and style.
I don't even know how to begin correcting this but i'm stuck in the same place

colored verison

step 1. download brush packs with different textures/looks, find something that works for you
step 2. edit your own brush settings and create your own brushes. if you can't find something that works, MAKE SOMETHING THAT WORKS.

im outlining a plot where a dude and an ayy try and save the galaxy. but then then the dude has to kill his best friend.because the end choice is supposed to be really raw youtube.com/watch?v=Co8tenPDP8Y

Oh damn I didn't even notice the leg thing before. I was pretty much working off an old sketch in my sketchbook and didn't really catch it when i worked over it I guess. As for the arm thing, I'm still figuring out how long/short I want them to be relative to her body. Her proportions aren't really concrete yet, I'm trying to find a design I really like. I might go with the shorter arms. By the way how small do you make your images when you export them? I generally keep it to 2500x2500 or something. I forgot to compress the second one though.

ugh you hit the nail on the head with the brush thing. I'd make my own brush but I really have no idea what I'm doing beyond picking a tool. I guess I'll devote some time today in making my own brush or something. I'm sure I can find a tutorial or something.

also very pleasing colors you picked here, she looks kinda motherly.

>By the way how small do you make your images when you export them?

For simple web display, like posting on Sup Forums or Tumblr, you don't really need to make it larger than about 1000x1000.

For basic sketching you probably don't need to work any larger than that either.

why the fuck is it that when I try to draw children under 10 that they come out looking like Elmer Fudd

if you have the option to change the size via percentage go for 60% or 70%. if you can't adjust via percentages then just go for under 1000x1000.

crop your images to remove the empty white space, don't need em.

Can you post any pics so we can judge?

If this thread still up I'll post one animation that I'm working on

WIP animation
Also Volume warning
fastswf.com/gnBkz38

I know it's unfinished, but it's hard to tell what exactly is happening.

Bumping with robos

very rough, but looks bretty gud

what practical purpose do those hips provide? you gotta think function with robots

I drew a female dragon with a huge cock

show us

batterys, weapons, tech

This. Also she's a part time waitress when she's not busy crushing communism like a melon.

Ill take the pie. the cherry pie.

just sketched this out, started with a pencil sketch from scratch, no reference, then blended it all in with a smudge brush on the left

i forgot storage to

>thinking "practical" makes anything better.
Draw what you like, dammit! If he wants his gigantic hips he should be able to get them. Thought processes like "why shouldn't X work" kills fun in giant robots.

bump

Just for you user.

Thanks I just feel like there's always a lack of robot hips on the internet and do my best to fill that void.

Vrooooooom.

Sketched a tank girl chibi-whatever recently.

re-worked and inked in a sylvestri sketch for practice

had to change some stuff around before and while inking in his sketch because some of the anatomy was off and changed some sharp angles to smooth round ones

took about an hour to in sketchbook pro

I seriously doubt i'll get help on this but how do i construct this? I tried tracing it and it looks weird.

heres a tip to help you with hands user: hands will always look off and weird no matter what you do with them. keep tracing over it and learn the anatomy of the hand and try drawing it again just eyeballing it. eventually youll get the hang of it.

Did this design for a clothing company called KLLRWHL but they wanted more of a street art design. They liked him, though.

bump

Is this thread on autosage?

Appreciate it thanks. If the thread survives i'll post my attempt for it.

OMG shit man fucking hell.

Question do you use reference photos at all for pictures like this? I always feel like im cheating when i do.

>I always feel like im cheating when i do.
Don't. Using refs is completely legitimate.

Just a character ive been working on.

I have no idea how to take it from this state, good or bad, and

>Get clean outlines
>Colored

Animation test for future project

Wew lawd.

There's a lot of mistakes i know. I fucked up the tie, and i need to work better the motion frames of the arms

wanna post my progress. but i can't cause anons told me to go screw off and threatened to ban me for no valid reason

Wh-what?

in the last tread

so i'll just lurk around and bump the tread to keep it afloat

Does Sup Forums stuff count?

No offense, but that shit looks traced off of something I fapped to the other day. I remember an ass when I see one.

If it's your work there's no reason for it not to!

Tinkering around in Photoshop. Making rough animations. Going to try and do another one tonight.

hey man that's really neat, you making more transformation type stuff?

Working on it. I did a rough thumbnail animatic earlier this year, and now I want to make a cartoon.

Right now I'm just doing very loose animation tests, because I haven't animated in years.

youtube.com/watch?v=coo3Lzair_Q

bump

This thread's kinda dying, so here's some boring crap I drew.

Nice

Repainting some shit because I'm rusty and forget that layers are a thing.

Characters for a comic I'll get around to starting. Some more drafted than others.

These thread don't really last. Not enough critique or interest and Sup Forums moves too fast.

How the hell do I blend? I've followed tutorials for Paint Tool SAI but it never works out, I can only do solid color to solid color.

its a complicated process that requires opacity fuckery. gimme a minute and ill throw together an example.

in the end, the only way youll get it is if you experiment a lot. if you have an example of what you can currently do right now in the meantime thatd be great

Thanks.

These are looking pretty nice so far.

One more.

Working on an animation test.

alright pay attention m8

1) lay down a colour. this can be your bg, or the base colour for linework, or a silhouette, etc.
2) lay down lighter shades. i recommend switching to a textured brush, and in SAI, play around with the brush presets, specifically the blending option. youll want it to be from 50-80% if you want something fluid that doesnt require a hell of a lot of pen pressure. keep opacity at 100% if you have pressure sensitivity, move it to around 60% if you dont.
3) continue laying down different tints/shades, p self explanitory
4) use the eye dropper to pick the lightest shade, and colour between the shades youve already laid down very lightly. dont press hard, or youll add too much colour or smear things too much. if you dont have pressure sensitivity, lower the opacity on the brush to around 10-25% and go over the area repeatedly until its smooth to your liking. this is a time consuming process, so just bear with it.

alt 4) just grab the blur or equivalent of a smudge tool or make a blur tool that functions how you want it to, give it a texture, and drag the colours in the directions you want to blend at about 25-50% power

Here's what I've got, a gemsona I did about two months ago.
How can I improve?

Fuck, sun is coming up. Last update for tonight.

Got back from camping, so I don't have anything new to show yet. So here's some more Vivian.

I'm trying to do something different for once other than a character standing in blank space by having multiple characters at different distances and a maybe a background, but I'm having a hard time capturing the perspective of this shot and coming up with where to put a background.

Sweet, thanks.