Kubo and the Two Strings

Kubo soon, fellow Sup Forumsmrades. Specifically next week.

Now I never saw The Box Trolls because of the SJW pandering in the trailer (not really, the movie just didn't appeal to me) but Kubo looks like it could be a lot of fun and is certainly very visually impressive.

I hope it does well since stop-motion is basically dead at this point

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cQpEnN6bxxw
youtube.com/watch?v=p4-6qJzeb3A
youtube.com/watch?v=iLacpZuYNo8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

This is Stop Motion? I might check it out, but honestly it didn't look all that interesting to me

I guess I want to see it. I think I was almost happier before they kept advertising more and more details about the story and silly sidekicks. I was interested back when all we had was a pretty music track and some mellow scenes. I'd kinda rather have a concert than a standard plot.

How does Laika keep making movies? All of their films have barely made a profit.

The guy who owns it basically funds the movies himself from his other ventures. Occasionally that funding goes into some of the largest stop-motion puppetry concieved for movies. I think there's a skeleton puppet that breaks Laika's own record for having the largest stop motion puppet.

I just found the image. It's 18 feet tall.

lol, this chink shit looks dumb

fffff

Run.

Box Trolls was honestly really good. And the most impressive stop motion I've seen.

Well there's CG and compositing of course but the bulk is stop motion.

Bleach has been ending for a while now and nothing's come of it. Don't get excited.

Kubo you say?

If I was a less lazy man I would shop his head onto OP's picture

But I'm not

it looks so close to good
what is the deal with putting the eyes too high? I see it so often in otherwise fantastic artwork.

in fact isnt his dad the head of nike and he just gives him all nike's money

Anyone else thought Kubo was a girl at first? When I saw the trailer I was all "Wow, this looks cool and it has a cool girl as the protagonist". But I don't mind that he's a guy. I still wanna see it

Yeah, I kind of feel like avoiding the ads for this movie, for once. But I appreciate the ad campaign because I really want at least some kids to go see this.

This. The original trailer where it was nothing but awesome puppets, great music, and amazing imagery I was fucking hooked.

Then they aired new trailers where the characters talk. I no longer want to see this movie.

I dunno. That's a thing a lot of artists are doing lately and I don't get it either.

Even now it's hard to not think of him as one. Guess it'll be that way till I actually see the movie myself.

Rule 34 of the monkey, when?!

Did you think it wouldn't have any dialogue before?

why would you want to fuck a monkey user? thats dirty you silly willy : ^))

Part of me worries that the narrative will fall into another one of those "surrogate family" animated films -- the baboon, the samurai guy, and the kid. I tend to hate those kinds of flicks because they feel fake/forced.

just watched Box Trolls cuz of this thread

fuck me this is good and seriously the best stop motion work I've ever seen.

I can understand the general public not liking this and the movie losing money in general but did Sup Forums really snub this? It's a gem.

It's great and shitty at the same time.

The story is so straight forward and cliche that you can predict the main beats from the first few minutes.

The animation and voice work though is top notch and I'm excited for Kubo if a lot of the same team is behind it.

I dunno, I mean it's a children's movie so that kind of story is to be expected a bit. And I'll admit the storytelling does telegraph alot of major things before they come into play, but those major points themselves are at least unique. But then again spoilers don't bother me either.

Anyway I loved it and am now planning on seeing Kubo for sure.

All I know is that Regina Spektor did a pretty cool cover of "While my guitar gently weeps" for the movie, which is cool.

Also, reminds me of this
youtube.com/watch?v=cQpEnN6bxxw

It's not for jaded media geeks who needed their stuff to be unique and exciting because they no longer feel the same way about film.
It's for children and people who rarely get to the theaters.
And they outnumber us 1000000 to 1

It didn't live up to the hype generated by Coraline and ParaNorman. It's still a great film, with undeniably good stopmotion work, but storywise it's a bit lacking compared to those other two movies. Kind of like how some people feel when they watch Ponyo and don't like it as much after watching Spirited Away and expecting nothing less than perfection from Ghibli, Laika fans can have very high standards.

It's fucking FANTASTIC. Better than Paranorman in my opinion

It was definitely safer than Coraline and ParaNorman by a hundred miles. Those two films were dark and almost unfriendly for little kids, whereas Boxtrolls wasn't really any more darker than an 80s family fantasy like Neverending Story or Labyrinth.

i'm so ready for this movie, i'll definitely see it multiple times
i just want stop motion that isnt wallace and grommit style to succeed, you can tell that the people who work on this stuff put all of their heart into it

The good thing is that studio is basically run by a guy being funded by his rich daddy, so even if the film flops they can still make another one.

Still, it'd be nice to see it succeed anyways, just so the people involved in production can feel they did a good job.

I'd rather Laika be funded through someones parents than a big company, the creative freedom they have is awesome and honestly I'd give anything to work there.

Why am I not captivated by this film?

Boxtrolls had one great line. Since the whole town's thing is cheese, there are all sorts of references to it. The boy asks where a street is - Curds Way.

The response? Curds Way? Milk turns into it.

I wish Laika would adapt "I Kill Giants."

Pretty much, yes...

Somebody's got to do it, I guess.

i dunno man maybe you didnt watch the good trailer?
youtube.com/watch?v=p4-6qJzeb3A

feels too empty.

Has the soundtrack been released yet?

Yup yup yup.

Box Trolls final boss steam punk robot mech was about 10 feat tall. Skelleton final boss thing is about 18 feat at the head, about 25 feat with arms fully extended upwards.

It's hard to say why it isn't as good. I've read the books and while I enjoy them I think that there are some things that just don't really translate well in to another medium.

Similar to Fantastic Mr. Fox. I don't really think it's an issue that Wes Anderson's style is not really something that kids would get but I don't really think that the story is really movie material.

I saw someone stream Fantastic Mr. Fox and all the freaking full frontal closeups on character was really, really weird

lul, might have been me, how long ago was it?

I'm legitimately glad he's not because we aren't getting dudes in animated movies other than this any time soon.

Nah it was a closed stream with friends, not on Sup Forums

Still haven't watched Tenshi no Tamago, but I hear it's fantastic.

I need that shamisen cover of As My Guitar Gently Weeps. The shamisen is such an underrated instrument.

Just off the top of my head: doesn't Gigantic have a male lead? Aren't Sing, the Secret Life of Pets, and Sausage Part out right now and all have male leads? Again these are just movies I remember without having to look up.

Sing almost looks like it's sort of an anthology of stories intertwined by the talent show in its trailers. The Koala probably counts as the lead though, so you're right there, but the trailers do focus a lot on Reese Witherspoon's character.

>I hope it does well since stop-motion is basically dead at this point
I literally just found out today they cancelled the Tim Burton stop-motion Addams family movie based off the original single-panels.
It was cancelled three years ago appearently and is being replaced with stupid CGI schlock by MGM.

Also, apparently there's been limited production shoe promotions with Lakia and Nike since Coraline, which I find kind of funny.

I had the perfect picture to win the Weird Wins competition for the ParaNorman shoes, but I was too lazy to find it.

I still like those shoes.

Phil Knight was a founder of Nike, and is the Chairman of Laika.

Did paranorman and Coraline do well I feel like they should have. Especially coraline which has the best use of animated 3d I've ever seen.

Wildwood full movie when???
>youtube.com/watch?v=iLacpZuYNo8

IIRC, the owner is entitled to a sizable chunk of Nike or something, so he'll literally never run out of money.

>doesn't Gigantic have a male lead?

Ostensibly, but the focus is on the attack of the 50 ft. tall loli.

Nope. Then again, I learned the name of the voice actor at the same time as learning about the movie.

Takes 3 weeks to make 3 seconds of it, yes.

How much are they gonna sell those figures for ?