Is the Portuguese language worth learning?

Is the Portuguese language worth learning?

Go to /lang/

No.

yes as a hobby or for travel

our grammar is brutal, for economical / practical I would suggest french or german

Spanish is more worth

Every language is worth learning, but I think you should learn Latin first and foremost.
P.S .: If you want to learn Portuguese because you think that someday we will be relevant forget it, we will always be a shithole.

No

Portuguese is great because it comes in 3 difficulty levels:
Spanish
Brazilian
Glorious European Portuguese

Memes aside, it's usefulness is almost none. In every environment you'd use it, Spanish is more common anyway. If you're going to learn it do it for the literature. Cervantes got nothin on Camões.

Also Portuguese poetry and song in general is more a lot more interesting than Spanish because of the phonetics. It was used as a language for both in the 12th and 13th centurey (Castilian was used for prose and law instead).

Portuguese grammar is simple. All romance languages are. Pronunciation is the bitch.

>should learn Latin first and foremost
if he is not a priest he will never use it, latin is a full "I'm smarter than you" language

unironically, all foreigners I've met in college spoken broken portuguese and they were spanish native speakers
I use to sit with them correcting their papers

Latin is an important language at civilizational and cultural level, and I have always heard that the often contextualized way of reading Latin texts helps in the progression of intelligence.
Also, I do not share the view that you should only learn a language for pragmatic reasons.

Only if you want to move to some lusophone country for some obscure reason.

If some americans learn spanish then I see no reason not to learn portuguese

Not to mention americans are willing to learn things like irish, italian, polish or even russian

it sounds not stupid as Spanish does, but sadly, pro’ly does not have as many speakers/users.
“/lang/”?

You already know spanish, Hernandez. Learining portuguese will be as easy as 123.

wow really. what kind of grammar mistakes were the most common? i know noun genders may not match in spanish vs portuguese.

>Pronunciation is the bitch.
If one who is learning follows the letters, then speaks it, Lusofonistas will comprehend?
just some stupid shit like in russian where accent has diverged from the written root, yes/no?

>“/lang/”?
Yes.

It's like the 5th most spoken language in the world

It's fun. Not saying you should, but if you do, there's shit aplenty to do with it.

Why the interest in PT?

Technically, yes, but the problem would be stressing/ommiting the right vowels. It DOES have rules, but there are so many of them, it's impossible to know them all.

Stuff like opening vowels separated by a space "vou a Abrantes" becomes "vou Àbrantes", where the two "a"'s merge into a long one.

It's not completely unambiguous, but the phonetic exceptions aren't that common.

Then you also have nasal vowels, weird 4-letter diphtongs (diluiu-a, Quiaios), a bunch of phonemes that you have to know and aren't indicated and speakers aren't even aware (gato and sal have slightly different "a"s to them).

It's a very rich language, in both its variants.

I mean, it's still the 6th most spoken language in the world. More than French, even if not as influential.