I just realized Han could have saved the universe a whole lot of trouble if he'd just killed Darth Vader at the end of...

I just realized Han could have saved the universe a whole lot of trouble if he'd just killed Darth Vader at the end of A New Hope. He was knocked away and spinning which would have been a perfect time to just shoot his TIE fighter and kill him.

Really when you think about it what in the world was this dude doing piloting a ship? He may have been a badass with the Force but a whole lot of good that did him as a pilot apparently. Maybe that's why you never see him piloting in any of the other movies. He realized he almost got killed and didn't want to risk it again.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_Infinities
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Who would have killed the emperor then?

Wedge when he blew up the Death Star II with the emperor on it. Without Darth Vader to motivate him Luke would have had no reason to get that close to Palpatine.

>save the universe a lot of trouble
>by killing Vader
You mean the guy who asked Luke to overthrow the emperor with him? What a menace!

the emperor was prepared to leave on his away ship

Good point. On the other hand, the empire could have just shot the escape pod with r2d2 on it at the start of a new hope.

Yeah which would have been devastating but they detected no life signs.

He just tried spinning, that's a goos trick.

>think about it

ever notice how whenever this phrase is uttered, its always in conjunction with something either retarded or obvious?

In a reality in which droids are commonplace, and with an organization as streamlined and strict as the empire, they should have had a protocol for this situation.

Maybe, or maybe the protocol was not to waste ammo unnecessarily and a pod malfunction was considered a more likely reason for the escape pod firing off. Occam's razor.

Rate my headcanon:

I always justified it as they were looking for the Death Star plans, so they were under orders not to shoot anything non-living so they wouldn't destroy the plans on accident (they have to be sure they aren't still in rebel hands, after all).

That's why they sent the stormtroopers down to Tatooine; they had to recover the plans from the pod. When they got there, they realized there were droids on board.

>ammo
Turbolasers don't use ammo.

> Maybe that's why you never see him piloting in any of the other movies.
Where were you when prequels and both old EU and nuCanon established Vader as one of the best pilots in the galaxy?

If a headcanon explains something without any plot holes then I think it's a good headcanon.

Really, people like to complain about plot holes in films and stuff but there has to be a way that the writer wrote it the way they did, even if they don't necessarily explain it directly. So I think the goal should be not simply identifying said "plot holes", but figuring out how to explain them in a way that makes sense. To give the writer some credit and do something positive instead of just whining all the time about how nothing makes sense.

Anyone ever heard of Star Wars Infinities? They're pretty interesting "what-if" comics for the OT made in the early 2000s.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_Infinities

This article has pretty detailed plot summaries for all of them so you can take a minute to read up.

The whole point of that was that nobody in Star Wars considers droids people. They're turned on and off like ceiling lights, traded like items, not considered smart or sentient enough to have agency. Nobody cares if there are droids on the escape pod, to them it'd be like yelling "Oh no, the microwave oven is getting away!".

Even our society regards the loss of a flash drive with important information as something unwanted. Doesn't matter if the flash drive is just a piece of plastic with some circuitry inside.

The flash drive and the droid that's carrying it are two separate things. Imperials didn't detect anyone inside the escape pod, and assumed Leia was still holding the drive with the plans in it because what use would the plans do sitting in a pod in the desert? Again, they don't think of the droids because nobody thinks about droids, droids have the same level of presence as furniture. It takes them a while to go "oh right, droids" and start searching.

Horse.

George Luca$ was already envisioning a sequel by this point

Also, Han likely assumed that TIE fighter was another run of the mill pilot and not THE Darth Vader. Since the proime directive was to destroy the Death Star Han couldnt be bothered chasing after a TIE figther when he was busy helping Luke destroying the DS

Did you say proime on purpose, because it made me go back and read your post with a British accent.

This makes sense. We already know they wanted a second Death Star so the plans would be too important to destroy

not him but i think it's pretty obvious he means AFTER this incident

It's really funny that they later establish him as some hotshot pilot considering in this movie he is taken completely by surprise and shouts WHAT! when the Falcon shows up.