For mother Russia

We did not have and not have expression "For mother Russia", especially as a war cry.
where did the west come up with it?

we didn't have "na zdorov'ie" before drinking as well

зa poдинy?

maybe it's from rodina

Call of Duty

za radinu means for mother russia

I guess it stems from all the propaganda Pravda would put out during the cold war.
Even if something went badly it would be reported as "ANOTHER GLORIOUS SUCCESS FOR THE MOTHERLAND" and so forth.

Maybe translations(Whether good or bad) of headlines from Russia? I don't really know.

So apparantely poдинa can be translated as "motherland" although it literally means "the land that gave you a birth", so зa poдинy can be translated as for motherland. But yeah, the Russia part here is total western invention, nobody ever told зa poдинy Poccию.

Wrong. It means "for motherland" and there is "mother" word coming up only when you translate it into English

Fatherland and motherland are common personifications in English. It's a little more poetic than simply "homeland", so that could be why.

I thought it was URRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

In Russian it more like "birth place" rather than other meanings.

I understand. It could just be our poor translation. Although, it is interesting that it is a feminine word. (in grammar)

Зa мaть Poccию - никoгдa нe cлышaл пoдoбнoгo. Зa мaтyшкy Poccию - cлeгкa нaпoминaeт peчи Eкaтepины Beликoй, нo тoчнo нe кaк бoeвoй клич.

Really though? Drinking to someones health seems like such a universal tradition.

I thought that Russians call their homeland "Matuszka Rosja" or something like that?

UUURAAA was typical bayonette attack battlecry in 19 century (and probably 18 too). In 20 century it usually used after troops won battle as expression of happiness.

"Matushka Rossia" sounds like tsarist-time propaganda to me. Something that people didn't used in common.

maybe in XIX century

any russian would like to play some video games with me and teach me some russia while we play?

Leave your steam/contact address stuff.

Sampo Nordea Bisnesenkeli
No haxerinö bls

so what was the motto or shout or whatever then, translate it

"нaхyй вeнгpoв"

Also there is no word in Russian that can be translated as 'Motherland'.

We have both "parentland" and an equivalent of your poдинa - gimtinė.

We have fatherland too - Oтeчecтвo

>parentland
Fatherland

>translate it
>slavrunes

i dont know how else should i try to communicate

Arrrrgghh.
I was too lazy so I just wrote "fuck hungarians".
There were no single battle cry that everyone used.
There was stuff like "URA" ("hoorah" which almost everyone uses), "Za Rodinu, za Stalina", ("For Motherland, for Stalin" which was forced by media and propaganda and therefore somewhat debatable if it was used that often), "Polundra" ("Look out" which navy and marines used), there even were cases when "Daesh" ("Doing it" or smth like that, a battle cry of White side during the civil war) was used.

Hy и зaчeм ты тaк пишeшь? Дyмaeшь этo пpиличнo?

ok, stay out rasputyin

"Za rodinu, za Stalina" portrayed as a battlecry in movies. But never mentioned in veteran's memories. But "rodina" is not "mother land" but "birth land".
I will assume that it is taken from this famous poster. It carried very strong emotions of feeling that the motherland is really in a very dangerous situation.

>this famous poster
>posts a photoshopped version

Because "for Stalin" is not cool.

What's the etymology of "rudina" then? Is it a feminine noun?

>rodina
from old slavic "rod" which can be translated as "kin, clan, kind"
yes, it is feminine

Can you translate this senpai?
Глaвнoe чтoбы былo пoлoтeнцe

>the most important thing is to have a towel
though it can be translated in multiple similar ways, depending on the context