Why didn't he just land the plane into the water?

Why didn't he just land the plane into the water?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=g7R7jZmliGc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It would be extremely painful

How so?

he wouldn't have been able to get out in time,

he's a big guy

Hollywood effect gave him enough power to turn around and shoot down another plane, but not enough to land anywhere "safe".

Also there was no safe place for him to land. Just diving into the water where people were boarding would have killed him. Either way he was dead.

Altitude

It's better to land on flat ground as opposed to water, due to the potential to hit a swell or drown

Because it's dangerous?

Because getting caught was part of his plan.

There's a whole scene that shows that landing on water is pretty dangerous even in the best of conditions.

Also before anyone ask, he was too low to the ground as well to parachute out. Pilots parachutes were pretty bad and needed a couple hundred of feet to properly deploy.

Why does he wear the mask?

Why didn't he just fly up then?

dubs and this and also this is true.

To breathe properly at 3000ft

Engine was dead, to be able to climb you need a decent amount of power.

well no fuel from hunting down that last stuka obviously

>needing a mask to breathe at 3000 ft
>tfw everybody in Denver wears oxygen masks 24/7

this
he had nothing to go back for

But he's a big guy, though.

>needing engines to climb
youtube.com/watch?v=g7R7jZmliGc

>Land the plane
>into the water
>Land
>Water

But he already flew quite a lot with the engine off while chasing down that last german fighter, you can't glide in the air forever (and certainly not do fucking aerobatic moves)

Why did Nolan refuse to say "Germans"? Was there a point to that?

Water is far more difficult and dangerous. His wingman at least had a running engine to help the landing. He already lost most his momentum killing the HE111 while gliding.

they do say germans in the film.

Krauts. British people called them "krauts", not just germans. It comes from Sauerkraut, which they note in the film when they think that one frog is a german undercover spy.
I for one loved that Nolan didn't make a single german soldier close-up and kept them as this mysterious ominous force that threatened from all sides, no usual "le evil crazy nazi general" or anything like that.

yeah i liked that too. it really gave this feel that they were just waiting for their death

because it was a movie about sacrifice, not a war film

the plane is just too big

4me

They did say Germans.

I loved that he decided not to do that. Along with that, within the film I'm fairly sure there weren't any shown Swastikas as well, aside from maybe a very hidden one on the tail of a plane.

He didn't fly so good

Well congratulations, he got himself caught. Now what's the next step in his master plan?

It was a movie about Nolan proverbially stroking his intellectual dong and calling it cinema

>Bunch of ships getting blown to hell, but this one must be the one that gets through all the U-boats and bombers
>Get stuck under the deck and drown
What the fuck were they thinking?

CRASHING THIS REICH WITH NO ÜBERLEBENDEN

masturbatory britishness. i dont see how he stroked his intellectual ego though

it was better than sure death sitting on a beach? its not like no boats got through - and they wouldnt know that sitting on the beach anyway

He was a symbol of hope to the British soldiers, by landing in the water they would lose their symbol

The deal with this in the film
Notice how the soldier refuse to go below deck, after experiencing a sinking ship.
They learn from their mistake

He took out 4-5 planes, he'd be considered an Ace.

They had tea and jam sandwiches under the deck. Any self-respecting Brit would risk his life for that, which is why the only character that didn't was the Frog.

lol

The Yanks mainly called them Krauts. We called them Fritz and Jerry. Hun was used a lot in WW1.

I understand Fritz but never understood where Jerry came from?

Jerry most likely came from "German", maybe it makes sense if you spell it as "Gerry"

>tom hardy
>landing a plane with survivors

he didn't fly so good

because

no air speed after the last stuka, also he wanted to get captured because that way he buys time for the civies boat to escape (remember the blue boat outside the perimeter getting shredded)

you don't need oxygen if you smoke weed. also it cures cancer and aids.

He got distracted because he was busy wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.

Jerry is another word for a chamber pot. It comes from the fact the German helmets looked similar to them.

He was high enough to be able turn back towards the boats picking up people from the water. He even opened his window well before he landed, not like the retard before him who almost drowned because he waits till he lands in the water to open his window to get out

From him running out of fuel to him landing was only a minute or two long from his perspective, it just seems longer because we see the same couple of mins from multiple angles. He didnt actually glide for very long and after turning and shooting the last Stuka he didnt have the altitude to waste on another turn. Also, the friendly beach was littered with bodies, equipment, and soldiers waiting to get on the boats.

>tfw Collins' friendly wave after he ditches successfully turns out to be a wave for help as his cockpit rapidly fills with water
sweaty_man_mopping_brow.jpg

except harry styles is in the first sinking ship, then gets on the second one and has no problem with going into a locked deck. only the frog ever thinks to not go below deck.

Is that how it is in real life? Do you never really see your enemy?

Probably seen as less of a risk on the trawler as there is an open hatch right above them

That reminds me, what happens to the Dutch man?

Was the ending just a plain Bane reference? Crashed plane? Fire rising? Him standing there waiting to be caught, almost as if it was his plan?

That was really cool when I realised that

I kind of feel Nolan was slightly fucking with us.

He thought he was waving.

>Cillian Murphy being the super scared guy
Hmmm

Died in his trolley probably.

mhmmmmm

They also called them Jerry

also I like the idea of just calling them "The Enemy", makes the film more ominous if you don't actually see who you're fighting

So since Tom Hardy's RAF pilot crashed several planes with no survivors, does that make him a bigger guy than BANE?

Somebody spoonfeed me. I thought Spitfires weren't able to float for so long after the engine has been shut down. I thought they were so heavy they'd just plummet down

Was this any good? I haven't heard a single thing about it other than the "mhhmmm"s and "I have a use for you" or whatever.

It depends on how many people were in the bomber

>for you

That's from Peaky Blinders, not Taboo.

Was it any good, though? I haven't heard a single thing about it other than the ''SHALOM ARFUR, SHALOM!''

Both are pretty good. If you're a fan of Tom Hardy then you'll love Taboo.

Yeah, nearly shitting my pants at the opening scene and then NEVER seeing the shooters was really a bold move.

I thought, as the young Brit got his rifle ready, that he'd peak through the bullet holes in the door or something to let us, the audience, see the Germans advancing, but no, he genuinely responded like a panicking, suddenly alone young man.

Made it all a genuine atmosphere, you know?

I was waiting for a scene where a German is caught or washes up on the beach and they just regard him like some strange alien - It felt like an alien invasion movie in a sense, because of how you don't really see or interact with the enemy forces.

Yeah, I really liked how the only indication of the German presence until the very end with Tom Hardy being captured was through the use of bullet holes and gunfire
A lesser film would have definitely included a scene where a scout runs up to a Nazi general who looks comically evil, and tells him that the British are encircled at Dunkirk, and then the general screams at the officers around him to break through their barricades as fast as possible, and the he doesn't want anyone to leave that beach alive or something. There's a laundry list of basic, Hollywood-ass plot details that could have been shoved in, and I respect the fact that Nolan sidesteps all of them, to the point that you don't even know the name of the main soldier who survives the first scene with the German ambush

Nolan is a hack. Hardy's character is literally a bane reboot, right down to the mask and shearling jacket.