How would you make a Mario cartoon?

How would you make a Mario cartoon?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YoZ_Mwc7lNE
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Wish lou albano back with the dragon balls.

That winged koopa's suffering from severe PTSD

Bowser would obviously be the main antagonist, along with the Koopa Kids as his henchmen. I like the idea that Bowser is actually a competent ruler and treats his citizens well, so less focus on him being an evil tyrant and more focus on him trying to make Peach his wife or trying to increase his power and wealth.

Other recurring villains include Wario and Waluigi who are always trying to get rich, including conducting robberies and heists to steal the riches of Princess Peach, Daisy and one time Bowser.

Villains like Count Bleck, The Dark Queen, Vivian, King Boo, Ashley, and so forth would appear from time to time.

Mario and Luigi would mostly be helping Princess Peach, but occasionally get called out to help Princess Daisy and other kingdoms.

I like your general idea but

>Wario and Waluigi who are always trying to get rich

For some reason this is boring and cliché to me. I'd like a more... different dynamic between the two? What kind of characterization would Waluigi and Wario have anyway?

Poorly.

Like Adventure Time before it got bogged down in sexual anxiety and postpubscent ennui, and with a less stupid main character

With extensive focus on the Mario - Luigi - Peach love triangle.

Straight adaptions of the RPGs.

>For some reason this is boring and cliché to me.

They wouldn't really be around every episode, and honestly a show like this would be using cliche as its bread and butter.
I think it would be kinda funny though to see something Wario endorsed just kinda subtly in the background of every episode.
>Billboard for War&Wal Insurance
>Cereal box of Wari-O's

Pretty much this. Probably more so the M&L games rather than RPG or the Paper Marios.

The M&L games have a lot of good humor, character and location variety, and "sagas" to play off of for years. Wouldn't even need to have Mario and Luigi speak, just have em pantomime shit like in the games while everyone else just talks like regular fucking people.

>No mention of Supreme Empress Rosalina, literally unwatchable

But seriously, I really like your concept. I just pray that the studio doesn't make it too cornball or too tryhard.

A higher quality version of Super Mario Glitchy 4 videos.

>I think it would be kinda funny though to see something Wario endorsed just kinda subtly in the background of every episode.
I actually find this idea rather amusing.

As for personalities, I'm thinking Wario would be the charismatic face of the two, the leader. Waluigi could, off the top of my head, some kind of mad, greedy genius who creates all manner of gadgets which are either to be sold(through Wario) to people or designed in some way to somehow help the two get rich, for example, gadgets that will help them rob the Mushroom Kingdom vault, or something that will help them find the lost treasure of so-and-so.

As far as I know, their personalities have not been touched upon that much in the game besides Wario being greedy and disliking Mario a lot.

They could occasionally team up with another villain for some kind of investment or contract, the villain is always dissatisfied with the way things turned out. Either things just fail or the final result, although promising, ends up destroyed or a failure on the part of the other villain, who tries to get their investment back only for Wario to tell them the contract doesn't cover it or that they didn't get extended warranty or insurance or something.

Also, does anyone remember Mouser and Tri-clyde?

Take this, but make a whole series out of it.

youtube.com/watch?v=YoZ_Mwc7lNE

Heh, that would be pretty funny.

Nah, Wario is the greedy one. I'd imagine Wario pulls an arm and a leg (literally) to get Waluigi to do this stuff with him, who either tags along out of Wario forcing him to do it or out of an almost sadistic (or masochistic?) pleasure to see Wario's plan ultimately fail in the end or rejoice in the people hurt from it. Wario is the brute with Herculean-like strength who loves crass jokes and doing endeavors to fulfill his own selfish needs. Waluigi would be far less motivated since he is way more passive unless it directly embitters him (like Luigi). Waluigi would be to Wario what his inactivity is to Wario's drive.

For personality..

I think Waluigi would be more romantically inclined than Wario and more like a (faux?) debonair since Wario hardly grooms himself and lets himself go. He wouldn't be nicer though, just more spiteful out of pettiness and prone to jealousy/self-pity. That'd make a particularly funny dynamic between Waluigi and Princess Daisy (whom he canonically has a crush on) and Luigi. Although I'm going off a tangent here and probably thinking too hard.

>How would you make a Mario cartoon?

In America.

Just like the old series but it looks a lot better. Like the gag manga with Wario and whatnot

>Waluigi mocking Bowser behind his back
>all that training only to immediately ignore the tennis match and just shoot bob-ombs at Mario
>Luigi's reaction to Bowser's ship

God I miss when they put effort into the sports spin-offs.

I miss when Nintendo put effort into anything.

Mario and Luigi not speaking is important. Once they start talking beyond Italian-sounding gibberish and saying each other's names, they stop feeling like themselves.

I think the old Mario 3 show did it about as best as it could. Minus the wrong designs and koopaling names. But just going with the power ups and not trying to portray them as anything other than what you see in the games works well enough.

But the series does lend itself well towards episodic adventures with a dastardly plot of the week from Bowser.

But things like Evil King Bowser tries to take over the Mushroom Kingdom by clogging all the warp pipes with hair, or Wario steals a prized faberge mushroom from Peach's collection, Iggy and Lemmy get their hands on Kamek's wand and start creating chaos, etc. The old Nintendo Power comics did a decent job of making a few random episodes too.

Wario makes the inventions (like his microgames and stuff). Waluigi should be a weird, degenerate creep. Sort of the Igor to Wario's Frankenstein.

like hell

Mario and Luigi are plenty recognizable when speaking, it's been proven

Pretty much this. They work best when their actions and body language communicate their message to the viewer. Granted they can get away with some dialogue like in Just not too much.

Don't be ashamed of adding in characters.

Nowadays, Nintendo seems allergic to having any side characters who aren't Toads. Have some Paper Mario partners or M+L characters join Mario and Luigi on their adventures.

For example, Goombella could be a young college student who's studying under Peach, and wants to learn from Mario. Or Bow could be living at Luigi's mansion, and he basically goes on adventures with her as landlord and tenant. Make Sarasaland a nonstop athletic paradise, with Daisy as their princess/coach. Just stuff like that.

I didn't mean to imply that Wario wasn't Greedy, they both are. I was just saying that Waluigi's inventions are spurred by greed, not necessity.

I like to think that although Wario is hella strong, his serious moments of muscle come when he feels he is about to lose sight of the prize or when someone else is about to snatch it. For example, they've just found the lost treasure of so-and-so, but Bowser is there first. Wario would get angry, and do a rushing shoulder charge and knock Bowser through the fucking wall while he grabs the treasure and makes a run for it, smashing right through all of Bowser's goons as they try to stop him.

Or, they're in a maze and Waluigi points out that in all likelihood someone else is probably nearing the prize far ahead of them. Pissed at the idea that someone else is ahead of them, he might just start smashing a straight path through the maze.

I dunno, I see Wario as the charismatic but brutish leader, so he'd make Waluigi do all the inventing and sometimes labor, sometimes bullying him into doing it. Waluigi would get back at him though when that happens, and could be one of the reason they fail, occasional bouts of animosity. Ultimately though, they'd stick together through thick and thin.

I never watched this before, but based on what you're saying it sounds quite fun.

Gotta say from the pic you posted the art is not appealing, especially compared to how Bowser looks today. I'm glad they softened up his image since, while at the same time giving him some badass new forms.

WHAT? You nincompoops are STILL making threads about this alfredo-filled piece of garbage? Were three cartoons, a movie, and three OVAs not enough to satisfy you greedy punks?

I told you last thread, and the thread before that - he's got less character in 'im than a plastic water bottle! His design's too soft! His games are all samey and generic! Even worse, his mustache is PATHETICALLY unmanly! You can't make a series about him or any of his stupid Barney-and-Barbie-wannabe friends!

What the cartoon world's demanding these days is someone with edge. Someone like me - er, like pic related, I mean - who can truly capture the public's hearts, gins, and dollars. A character with moral depth, many talents (such as treasure-hunting, programming, biking, many sports, and disguising!), a handsome physique, a knack for classic slapstick comedy, and a very edgy mustache.

See, the anons are already talking about that wonderful man's compelling personality way more than Mario's. The only problem is that they keep trying to push Waluigi as his "sidekick" or "inventor" or somethin'. If you know Waluigi, you know he always hides away whenever anyone asks him about treasure hunting, teleportin' devices, or programming microgames - I mean, nice guy, but he only cares about sports. And getting even with Luigi. The great Wario would need not one helper, but a whole cast of allies and opponents to truly make his personality shine.

Also, you dweebs trying to make Wario into the villain - seriously? Haven't I... hasn't HE saved enough worlds in music-boxes and globes and princesses in Golden Pyramids to be a hero? Sure, might've done it for money, but - whatever. We all need character flaws! That's the kinda stuff audiences love! Mario's got none of that.

New topic: how would you make a WARIO cartoon?

>THIS FUCKING GAME

I would want them to keep the bizarro humour from the WW microgames in the show somehow. Like maybe as scene transitions.

I'm just now seeing this thread, but if these were actually happening a lot before, I really hope you kept this act up in all of them. I fucking love Wario.

Keep the production in Japan.

Scripts and storyboards can be done internationally but always has to run through a filter or series bible by Miyamoto first and Tezuka + crew second.

Even the non-autist Mariofags make me cringe is why.

>Waluigi could, off the top of my head, some kind of mad, greedy genius who creates all manner of gadgets
You got it. Since Waluigi's design is an explicit reference to Boyacky and the other skinny bad guys from Time Bokan, that's the right role for him.

Bump for cartoon brainstorm.

No one wants to hear about your autistic little fanfic.

Take the Wario and Waluigi cut scenes from the mario sports games on Gamecube and just make a whole show like that. I'd very much enjoy it.

This bait tastes bland and uninspired.

I'm still somewhat salty about what Miyamoto did to Bowser in Paper Mario: Sticker Star, and how he's been forcing the team to keep plots super-simplistic.

He might be a bit looser with cartoons, but I'm not sure he'd be the best person to consult for them. Good gameplay is his area of expertise, not good writing or characterization.