I've finished Gravity Falls a few days ago and I've been thinking - why were those two girls so bland and devoid of any...

I've finished Gravity Falls a few days ago and I've been thinking - why were those two girls so bland and devoid of any personality?

I haven't run the numbers, but I think those two have the biggest number of appearances out of secondary characters. Besides the main cast of Stan, Wendy, Soos and Ford, Grenda and Candy are the only two other people to come see the Pine twins off. Yet, they never had any identity of their own. They had their physical differences, with Candy being small with squeeky voice and Grenda being big with deep voice, but we never learned their thoughts or opinions, besides those there were just mirror of Mabel's opinions and thoughts. They felt like nothing more than Mabel's groupies, just like two Pacifica's groupies in the episode where all 3 are introduced.

It baffles me that in a show with so many colorful characters, that can also have serious problems and undergo changes (like McGucket and Pacifica), the two most recurring characters had nothing to differeniate them from the crowd.

Other urls found in this thread:

fanfiction.net/s/11757936/1/Girls-Night
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

we aren't supossed to know them in detail. they aren't important to the story. they are mabel's galpals, who reinforce her stupid obsessions and opinions. no more--and that was all we ever knew them as.
just like wendy, who we all would have liked to know more about. ended up being no more than the cool, bad ass older chick everyone likes, and that the boy has a crush on.

Hirsch would have liked to have developed them further, but didn't have enough episodes.

They had a chance to flesh out Candy a bit more in Roadside Attraction, but of course that didn't really go anywhere.

>expecting candy to be more fleshed out

I didn't expect it. But it would've been nice.

I found this odd fanfic here. I figured that it involves Candy, Grenda, and Mabel being odd, but somewhat in-character. fanfiction.net/s/11757936/1/Girls-Night

>but didn't have enough episodes.
His fault though. He said he was given the choice to do two or three seasons, knowing the hiatus schedule ahead of time.

Also, I could think of a few episodes to cut for a Candy episode.

Fucking hell, he had all the filler episodes at his disposal and never bothered to include any development for them.

posting here because no other thread, but does anyone as a website for streaming gravity falls ? I've been searching for a while, but nothing.

How can people still find enjoyment with the series after all that build up amounted to absolutely nothing in the end?

like, nerd out episode? Who else writes pokemon fanficition, really?

Boy, that was hard.

thanks, i didn't bother saying it because it was pretty obvious, but i'm a retard who is way too lazy to google search something

How do people this retarded even know how to breathe?

BEING FAT AND SCREAMING WITH A MANVOICE IS CHARACTER, RIGHT CANDY?

it's called "lazyness" not "being retarded", retard

Because Alex or maybe the GF writing team is super shit at writing female characters.

I find enjoyment in my hate.

a literal text-only-dialog video game managed to inject more personality into these characters than the manlet could

Contrary to what you may think, not every character needs to be a fleshed out, nuanced, intricate creation. Some characters can just be funny. It's okay.

>just a mirror of Mabel's opinions and thoughts
Not really? Candy is shown to have some pretty weird, dark interests, and Grenda calls out Mabel for being a jerk in Northwest Mansion Mystery as well as has a bit of that ol' Wendy aggressive female flair. They have different opinions and personalities. I still wouldn't say that they're fleshed out characters but there is more there than "Mabel 2 and Mabel 3".

>Contrary to what you may think, not every character needs to be a fleshed out, nuanced, intricate creation.

They are when they're meant to be part of a prophecy that was built up since the first episode.

Stupid or pretending? Just tell me straight up

>prophecy

Is the way Hirsch treated it in the finale a good way of dealing with something of such buildup?

>but i'm a retard
You just called yourself a retard, retard.

>givng the side characters who aren't even on the Cipher Wheel or the opening more screentime

FUCKING BULLSHIT

Why does it seem that they were writing this as the show went along? They didn't even have Ford's young character design done when Dipper and Mabel went through time