Just saw Dunkirk guys

Just saw Dunkirk guys.

Wasn't as great as I was hoping/expecting, but still a really solid movie that I enjoyed.

Anyone else just see it recently?

Just saw it today.

Really didn't like it. I had a lot of difficulty saying it but it was just a bad movie. I don't know why Nolan made it more complex than it should have been with different character arcs (that didn't go anywhere). Feels like just a generic war movie with explosions for the kiddies, barely talks about Dunkirk's importance.

Nice visuals, though.

You know, I agree with you there, the non-linear format was just confusing, it had clustered action sequences instead of distributing the tension and action better, and with that it suffered from a weird pace.

The importance was mostly revealed in the last five minutes, when the 300K were saved and all.. which doesn't serve the moment in history enough, imo.

To me it isn't a generic war movie, but it isn't the masterpiece to tack on to Nolan's other works like Interstellar, TDKR/TDK, or even Inception..

saw it about 30 mins ago.
Best film I've seen in a long time. I welled up and nearly had tears.
I can understand that Americans probably don't like it as much as anyone of British decent because it isn't about them and is completely void of all the usual tacky American war stuff.
The spitfire footage is fucking awesome. The sound is fucking awesome.
Don't remember seeing a single black man or any Jewish victimization narrative. Think there were 2 woman in the whole film.

I felt bad for the Highland guy in the oil fire. Sure he was an asshole for treating the other three like shit in the trawler just because they weren't with his group, then jumping on the frenchie. But being caught between drowning and burning was a rough ending and the specific on him made it seem too much like a karma motif.
Also can anyone help me out in this discussion: What happened to Gibson/frog-in-disguise? I thought he was the one that got snagged on the chains in the boat and drowned, but my friend thought he was the one on the dock on the end since he didnt say anything. It was kinda hard to tell in the boat scene because it was a mix of darkness, underwater filming and the fact that I didn't know the trio of actors so had trouble telling them apart at times.

I just went to see it and the theater was absolutely full, and we all clapped for you lads after the movie

Not memeing

I could be wrong but I also thought he drowned

There were two black colonial french soldiers on the dock in the beginning with the french mob trying to get on the ship. But I thought it was tasteful as they were like pitch-black representing their actual colonial troops.
And I think there were 4 women overall, one nurse on the ship at the mole that got sunk, the nurse on the other ship that got sunk off the coast, and then two old ladies on the civilian boat at the end. In all cases they were just doing their normal jobs.

>I thought he was the one that got snagged on the chains in the boat and drowned
that was him. he stayed in the boat too long while everyone else bailed and then got caught in the chains and drowned. it was definitely him because they zoomed on his face right before he tried to get out.

what i didn't get is who said that tommy is next after they told the french guy to get out of the trawler? was it alex? because when they got back on the civilian boat he looked ashamed.

I saw it today like a lot of people here and even if it's not my MOTY (Baby Driver for now) it's still excellent and I don't all the hate for this movie.

Like, why Sup Forums hates every director that is not an Yes man?

Thanks!
And I thought it was the highland guy who said he would be the next to go.

Definitely must be seen on the big screen with the best sound.
You want to duck when the screamer siren things are coming and I jumped when the anonymous German was sighting in his rifle on the side of the boat with the guys hiding inside, ping ping ping.
I also pretty much jizzed my pants every time a spitfire roared by.
Couldn't imagine it being half as good watching at home, let alone some crappy cam torrent

what threw me off was that alex was ashamed when he was on the civilian boat. i didn't know if it was because he didn't stand up for the french guy and tommy or if it was because he said it since the trawler scenes were pretty dark.

i figured it wasn't him though because they sat together on the train.

Did I get meme'd by seeing the 70mm version instead of the IMAX version? I honestly couldn't tell that much of a difference from other films, though the movie was kinda muted color wise so I don't know if thats what stopped me from noticing.

i had the option of seeing it in 70mm or IMAX knock off (ICON-X) and the sound was very underwhelming. i'm not a fan of seeing the same movie twice, but i'm half tempted to see it again in ICON-X and get a more forward seat because i sat in the second to last row for the 70mm showing.

I'm disappointed it isn't in Dolby, I only see movies that come out in Dolby after my local theater got remodeled. (It helps I work at another location of the chain so I get free tickets.)

Yea I kinda felt like I was missing out on the audio portion of the movie, though I did end up going to a different theatre so I'm not sure if that had anything to do with it. The germans shooting up the grounded boat was probably the best sounding portion.

yeah the trawler getting shot was surprising loud. it caught me by surprise, because prior to the showing i read how load the stukas were supposed to be, but they weren't as loud as germans shooting the trawler.

YOU GOT A HOLE IN YOUR LEFT WING
>YOU GOT A HOLE IN YOUR LEFT WING

Another thing that bugged me in the end of the movie is why Ferrier didn't just eject out of his plane during his second fly by over the beach. What was the point of gliding it out well beyond the perimeter and getting captured when he could have let it sink in the ocean instead to scuttle it.
Come now friend, this is a serious Dunkirk discussion thread. Keep your meming to the other Dunkirk containment bait-threads.

I thought he'd do this too, even though that whole gliding sequence was my favorite part, the manual pump for the landing gear and the torching of the plane and standing their while the Germans come. It made for a great scene

Landing in the water is very risky, and he was near shore so he would have waves, which will fuck you up in a ditching.

He was too low to leave the plane, as you would want at least 3,000 AGL to do so. Also, to exit the plane would leave the plane spinning out of control (as the manuals of the time was to remove the canopy, unhook and unbelt yourself, and then do a barrel roll which would drop you out and clear you of the stabilizers.)

To land on the beach would require him to drop the wheels, which takes time, and he didn't have much choice but to land, set fire to the plane. he could have tried to run from the plane after setting it on fire but he figured it wasn't going to work.

if he ran he would have likely been shot. their parameter kept shrinking and it didn't look like anyone on the beach was particularly interested in defending it.

Was it just WWII Interstellar?

seeing it in 70MM didn't add anything to the experience for me

i'm glad i saw it in the theater, but the larger format makes the shakycam even more disorientating and it's distracting to be able to see the modern cars & buildings & shit in the background of the plane scenes at the end

>Interstellar
>TDKR
haha, good one

I really loved it, those spitfire engines and stuka sirens gave me boners in the theater.

The spitfire footage is FUCKING AWESOME

I loved how loud the Stuka sirens were. Nolan pulled no punches with the combat footage.