The Hypercrisis bro #flash123

The Sup Forums awards were one of my favorite things about a site that even I admit I have a bit of an unhealthy attachment to. But given the coordinators vanishment at the start of the year we pretty much had them canceled.

No more! I am taking it upon myself to host moderate and coordinate this years Sup Forums awards and although I would like help I think I'm abotu to go this solo.

So quick streamline of events.

Timeline

August: Nominations
This will be suggestions for entries although if enough support for a new category is in we'll accept them

September: Voting
A month to discuss vote storytime etc.

October 1st: Announcemtn of Winners

This thread is to gauge interest get feedback and smooth out any kinks that shut down the last run. I very well may crash and burn this into the sun but I'd be glad to do it with you

>A note about timespan

delays aside this is to focus only on the releases of 2015, the extra distance may help judgment but it also keeps us from digging to into the 6th awards.

Next post will be the updated categories.

Did we not do it last year then? This feels a bit late for 2015 awards, but I do appreciate you looking to do this single handedly

Oh and also, you might want to delete the thread and try again senpai, your trip is in the subject field

>COMIC BOOKS (13 Categories)
Best Ongoing Comic Book Series (Corporate/Franchise)
Best Ongoing Comic Book Series (Creator-Owned/Independent)
Best Miniseries or Event Comic Book Series
Best Graphic Novel
Best Cover Art for a Comic Book Series or Graphic Novel
Best Issue of a Comic Book Series
Best New Comic Book Series
Best Art Design in a Comic Book Series or Graphic Novel
Best Writing in a Comic Book Series or Graphic Novel
Best Comic Book Artist of the Year
Best Comic Book Writer of the Year
Editor of the Year (NEW)

>WEBCOMICS (5 Categories)
Best Webcomic (Long Form)
Best Webcomic (Short Form)
Best Art Design in a Webcomic
Best Writing in a Webcomic
Best New Webcomic

>ANIMATED SERIES (10 Categories)
Best Animated Series
Best Animated Webseries
Best Episode of an Animated Series
Best New Animated Series
Best Production Design in an Animated Series
Best Writing in an Animated Series
Best Leading Actor in an Animated Series
Best Leading Actress in an Animated Series
Best Supporting Actor in an Animated Series
Best Supporting Actress in an Animated Series

>ANIMATED MOVIES (5 Categories)
Best Animated Movie
Best Production Design in an Animated Movie
Best Writing in an Animated Movie
Best Actor in an Animated Movie
Best Actress in an Animated Movie

>MUSIC IN ANIMATION (3 Categories)
Best Original Song in an Animated Movie or Series
Best Original Music in an Animated Movie
Best Original Music in an Animated Series

>Comic Based Movie(NEW)
Best Comic Based Movie
Best Set and Costume Design in a Comic Based Movie
Best Comicbased Screenplay
Best Actor in a Comic Based Movie
Best Actress in a Comic Base Movie
Best Score in a Comic Based Movie

>Best Comicbook based TV series(NEW)
Best Comic Based Tv series
Best Set and Costume Design in a Comic Based TV series
Best writing in a Comicbased tv series
Best Actor in a Comic Based tv series
Best Actress in a Comic Based tv series
Best Score in a Comic Based tv series
Best Channel for Comic Based tv series

>Videogames and other Adaptations(NEW)
Best Comic Book Video Game or other Adaptation

>Web (NEW)
Best Storytime
Best Comic Related Review
Best Comic Related Articles/Journalism
Best non Sup Forums comics site
Best Sup Forums thread

A note on the additions. Despite cries of Sup Forums adaptations are a core part of Sup Forums since the Golden Age and it would be a miss to cut out a lot of that quality.

The categories for journalism and storytimes are my personal indulgences because I am a big personal fan of the general Sup Forums community(no way I would be doing this here otherwise) yes having a "best thread" category is a bit circlejerky but I think a little bit of circlejerking in moderation is fine.

They were started in Jan 2016 and then canceled from my recollection , its either do 2015 late or make it share with 2016

My trip has been public almost since I made it. Felt wrong the claim sole ownership of a title meant to be communal.

And of course any categories without enough support will be dropped.

Now I open things to feedback any and everything is up for debate, questing etc. My job here is to best serve the community. So my first question is how do you want nominations to be run?

Needs a best meme category.

>Comic Based Movie(NEW)

>Best Comicbook based TV series(NEW)
I reject these categories. Do not entertain the Sup Forumsisation of Sup Forums. At most just have best series/movie. The other awards are just too much.

Even I have my limits.

Besides that presents a boo keeping issue. Everything here should have a firm date of release especially given the time delay. Memes are by inherency more ethereal

Also I forgot the best New Comic Based Tv series category. Although that may be a bit narrow for 2015

>COMIC BOOKS (13 Categories)
>Adaptations (14 Categories)

Slim down the adaptations.

Holy fuck and you want to add a 15th Adaptation category? Just call this the Sup Forums awards and change Comic books to the source material category.

Take out the movie an tv show related shit.

Like it or not a very large chunk of Sup Forums related media in live action adaptations. Something that has a place on Sup Forums has a place in the Sup Forums awards. Now making them share was an option that was presented to me, but crowding to many entries in one category was a mistake. Although 2015 WAS a pretty bad year for comic films, so with enough feedback we may just do a "just give it to Ant-Man" pass and narrow more in on tv.

If it's allowed on Sup Forums, it should be allowed in the Sup Forums awards. That's just basic. Volume of course is up to flex, but adaptations have to be allowed. Sharing a category perhaps."Golden Glob"ify the film and tv categories and then toss in vidya and "other" seems like a good way to handle it.

As much as I may hate it, I concede that you bring up valid points. But I think all those categories is a bit excessive. Personally, I'd just have best comic movie/tv/video-game all under one Adaptation catergory.

Unless you are asserting live action is more important than comics and cartoons reduce the categories to be less than the comics (13) and cartoons (10) categories.

Well, that is the predominant opinion on Sup Forums

Categories dont reflect importance they reflect a full gamut of the various Sup Forums related releases of a year. Quotas are silly.

Further research has shown that the film space is narrow enough to share with tv however. So the second draft will probably have a unified adaptation category rather than splitting them up.

Any other feedback?

My personal theory is that because comic books are no longer mass media they will inherently be outcrowded by media forms with wider audience such as film and television , in awareness, and thus discussion. Sup Forums is in general more enfranchised so adaptation talk here forms a significant minority rather than a majority of our topics.

>full gamut of the various Sup Forums related releases of a year.
Then include the gamut of comics:
Best Inker
Best Lettering
Shit you inluded 0 categories for characters or character designs in either comics or cartoons but included costume designs once for live action movies and again for tv.

Also best Anthology comic.
Best directing for a cartoon series and animated movie.
Best Animation Studio
Best Comic Company

You included a damn Best Channel for Tv Adaptations but didn't include a Best Channel for Cartoons and you're going hurr just trying to include everything? Get your shit together.

I really felt like those should be in there, but in all honesty I didn't think enough people on Sup Forums would be aware of them for each of them to hold up a whole category, thus lettering,inking, logo design etc. all going into Production Design. Yeah it kinda feels like a shaft but it was a necessary evil to avoid the issues of other years were some categories only had two entries.

If I am going to be honest, comics awards in general have that kind of issue.

Look at the best letterer winners of the Eisners and tell me it hasn't devolved into "just give it to the only guy whose name we remember" awards.

That's the same reason why Production/Sets&Costume Design was used for TV, film and comics as a catchall for things like, costumes, sets, backgrounds, supplementary design work and the like. The balance between how specific and how broad to go is a careful one, which is why unlike the last guy, I am iterating the lists with the community to best reflect our overall taste and honors. Like right here:

I honestly forgot best animation studio and best animation directing .Best anthology comic is way to narrow though, lets try to avoid genre/format style stuff like the plague. No way are we going to be so open about company wars stuff though, some things you just dont want to bait though.

Directing though I feel like it should be here, but I question exactly how the people are supposed to vote on that. Like a voter can grok "score" or "writing" or "best overall" film direction is also that most folk are enfranchise to , I just question how is the audience meant to vote on "best directing" and how often that wouldn't just overlap with best series.

I'm voicing that concern, it'll go in the draft if the community is all for it but it personally seems like something that sounds good on paper that wouldn't execute well.

In general we shouldn't be going to granular. things like "best new character' "best horror/superhero/auto bio/anthology " etc. Becasue once you do one of those you have to do them all and you have blown up with over specificity.

I know "plebe" is used as an insult around here but an award show based on the populace has to meet the populace were they are and not where we wish they were .

That said I am taking down the notes and its becoming clear compressing adaptations down is the right move here. Some spot categories were also missed here and there but are there any other broad concerns?

Honestly I really wish we had access to tvtropes crooner technology as anal as that site is being able to propose nominees and vote in the same instance is a really powerful tool. Public vote counts would have to go though...

YAY
thanks OP and I admire your dedication

There's Best Animated Short.

The Oscars have an Animated Shorts category, no reason this shouldn't.

Glad to have the backing.

The thread is slowing down so Ill leave it up, but next draft of the category list should be tomorrow, that's probably going to be it for touching it up, then onto nominations .

Want to think the best way to do this logistically. I always got into voting after noms had been locked so I have no idea how the last guy did it and the pastebins are dead.

Keep doing shit like this though. Animated short is for sure a big miss, its in.

What ever you do for nomination suggestions DON'T do it via "post your noms in the thread" for the love of god don't do it that way.

>Best non Sup Forums comics site
>Best Sup Forums thread
what?

Pretty self-explanatory

Yeah obviously no way to track that, and the software built for it seems pay to play,

Anyone here know how nominations were done before? It was patsebin and google doc.

I did a whole paragraph on how I felt 3 niche categories for self indulgent circle jerkery would be ok. They cant really be slotted into other categories and they are there to celebrate a part of the community I personally value so they are there as a mild vanity. Annotations articles and solid journalism are awesome and under appreciated as are really enjoyable and great threads here.

Yes
Make a strawpoll

How would that let people make nominations?

So many categories - I just want to vote for Prez, if that was this year still, it's been a while.

Is there even a category where the Illuminated edits would fit?

I'm only talking about the voting

If there's no KFC Colonel of Two Worlds, then you've already failed your job.

Need a list of stuff to look at to nominate ngl.

That's from this year.

I approve of this nomination, don't let me forget it anons.