Why was there such a huge gap in quality between the two publishers during the Silver Age?

Why was there such a huge gap in quality between the two publishers during the Silver Age?

>ever silver age marvel book is spider man

marvel is kiddy shit while DC warned us about gay agenda flattening deep characters into bland caricatures

Zach, is that you?

kek

Okay sorry, should OP have posted a page from Fantastic Four then? Tales of Asgard? Nick Fury? Dr. Strange?

They don't seem that different to me.

>gap in quality

But DC was fucking great during that period, too. If you're embarrassed of early Silver Age silliness, you shouldn't be reading comics, tbqh.

He should have posted a page from one of the Superman books or The Flash

>early silver age is the same as late silver age

More importantly what is the heaviest thing Spider-Man has ever lifted?

I kinda believe this tho, I kekd but like. Yo.

>40s
DC
>50s
DC
>60s
Marvel/DC
>70s
Marvel
>80s
DC
>90s
neither
>2000000s
DC

>90's
>neither
go home linkara

DC was better by a huge margin in 90s.

DC had Flash, JLA, and Vertigo during the 90s. Those alone should redeem them, even if everything else was awful.

90s was great for DC and vertigo

Individual choices made by individual writers, pretty much like today.

>90s
>neither

Stop getting your comics history info from Linkara, you turbo pleb.

DC had some awful stuff in the 00s (Identity Crisis, Countdown, late Teen Titans, etc) and Marvel had some great stuff in the same time period, Marvel Cosmic, post HoM X-men (HoM was a piece of shit but there were a lot of great stories from it), Morrison's X-men, Planet/World War Hulk, etc.

80s and maybe very early 90s should to Marvel(ton of great X-men and Spiderman stories if nothing else, darker & better storytelling but not quite 90s edginess) and 90s to DC, easily, especially since 90s meant the Vertigo imprint etc.

>80s
>DC
Nah m8. Marvel was awesome in the 80s. DC didn't even come close. That was the last decade they were good.

I feel like modern Marvel has better individual comics in recent era in spite of them breaking so much about what made the wider Universe work until they gave Bendis the Reigns(and ironically one or two of them have been written by Bendis).

Some of the 70s Marvel stuff, mostly written by Chris Claremont I find fairly enjoyable but mostly I find it hard to read a comic written before 2000 or so(with a fair few exceptions during the 90s, like the Sandman etc.)

They were funny but they weren't exactly well written or influential like Marvel was at the time. You can still read early Spiderman, FF, Steranko Nick Fury, and Ditko Strange today and enjoy them as comics and not just memes.

>2000000s

I doubt you've given that many of them a chance, not to be condescending. Moore's works for both publishers has aged incredibly, just for an easy example.

Lost

this!

"Campy" doee not equal "badly written".

>90s
>neither

Sup Forums proving once again they don't know shit about comics

Nah, Swamp thing, Sandman, Animal man, Atari force, New TT, Watchmen, TDKR, CoIE. Not to mention Perez' WW and Grant's Batman. DC had a lot of great stuff too and only improved considerably by mid 80s, and consistently at that, while Marvel started showing cracks by late 80s.

Honestly they were on par with eachother in the 80's, and the 60's was Marvel's decade.

Best most of the X-Men was shit in the 90's. Honestly when people think of all of the mediocrity that plagued the decade, chances are the first thing that pop up is something X related.

>it sold well so it's good

user proving once again he doesn't know shit about comics

Marvel was creatively bankrupt in the 90's. I can probably count on one hand how many decent books they had, and I'm talking about before the crash. Afterwards, it was like they were an entirely different company

Or Image related. Which, not-so coincidentally was where a significant portion of early 90s X-creators went.

That's not even an example of a good Marvel comic during the 90's.

DC has Flash during the Silver Age, they won.

The Batman comic there is from 1960, while the Spider-Man one is from 66. Batman's comics start getting more serious, but that's stunted for a while due to the success of the Batman tv show - although by 70-71, after the tv show was no more, there's another successful revamp that actually sticks.

Kelly Deadpool

DC's business aside, 70s DC is only worse than Marvel if you only read capes. I love the pulp revival stuff like the Kaluta drawn Shadow, the war books were consistently good, the horror titles did some interesting format experiments, Jose Luis Garcia Lopez was drawing westerns, they hired a bunch if great Filipino artists like DeZuniga. I could keep listing this shit. It was a good time.

Pretty sure that was completely after the crash. Not the user you're responding to.

No problem.

DC had Flash, Doom Patrol and LOSH. Marvel had Spider-Man, F4 and Thor.

Vertigo in the 90's was so goddang BASED

Not to mention Dikto's Strange and Steranko's Fury.

Marvel was full of people who brough a new vision to superheroes, one more aimed at teenagers and with more solid stories and pathos. DC was aimed solely at kids at that moment.

Marvel was great in the early 2000s. It was during the later half of the past decade that they started to go shitty.

>They were funny but they weren't exactly well written or influential like Marvel was at the time.
>Cary Bates
>Curt Swan
>Elliot S! Maggin
>Gardner Fox
>Carmine Infantino
>Not Influential

Yeah okay, fuck off.

Marvel, 1962

DC, same fucking year and month.

And they say Kirby was crazy.

Most of those names are more associated with the Bronze Age though, particularly Eliott S Maggin.

What was the last every Batman comic thread? I think I may be behind

The dude gave up

Real list with other, better publishers included:

>40s
Dell
>50s
EC
>60s
Garo
>70s
Humanoids
>80s
Raw
>90s
Fantagraphics/Drawn & Quarterly
>2000s
Picturebox
>2010s
Breakdown Press

Curt Swan, Carmine Infantino and Gardner Fox are all predominantly associated with the Silver Age.

Honestly, this. DC caught up, and started hiring writers and artists that Marvel was using by the bronze age.

They also started treating their fans better. It's really interesting to read the lettercols from that era - DC essentially flat out insulted its readers, while Marvel was flexible. You can tell they were more interested in selling stories to kids, while Marvel with it's "pop art" tried to elevate the medium a bit higher.

To be fair though, OP's pic is also comparing what's considered one of the greatest SA comics with a random cover stolen off a Maddox article.

Lel

The Batman one looks fucking amazing though

80's and 2010's are Marvel.

>Muh ANAD
They were better than DC most of the time.

Nice try user but it clearly says 2009 on the cover

hi guy who made this list

thanks for the responses guys...I kind of half assed it really, i should have put more thought into it.

In print of the 616 version it's the daily bugle
otherworlds where Spidey follows 616 rules is an SS soviet nuke arm Submarine

Rec some comics from each of those publishers plz

Because he's fucking entitled.

When was the last DC letter column in a single comic published?

>When was the last DC letter column in a single comic published?

I'm glad they don't. Letter pages are self indulgent trash where the creators jerk themselves off

>Because he's fucking entitled.
Hey, I'm not dissing him or anything, just stating the facts is all.

Marvel wasn't obsessed with camp the way DC's management was.

ACTUAL LIST:

>40s
Dell
>50s
EC
>60s
Marvel
>70s
Marvel
>80s
First
>90s
Dark Horse
>2000s
Marvel/DC (alternated between the two depending on the exact year)
>2010s
IDW

>Hey, I'm not dissing him or anything, just stating the facts is all.
He got mad at me for asking someone to continue his storytime. He may be also a newfag.

Because Stan Lee, Jack Kirby, John Romita, Steve Ditko, and Steranko.

PFFTAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

What's wrong with that list?

DC had as much talent or more. But there's only so much you can do when editorial forces everything to be a camp fest.

>IDW
>any year

the fuck

>70s Marvel
>90s Dark Horse
>IDW EVER

Real official list

>40s
Dell/Fawcett
>50s
Dell/EC
>60s