Hey Sup Forums. Why are most dad characters in modern cartoons the butt of the joke? Especially compared to the mom...

Hey Sup Forums. Why are most dad characters in modern cartoons the butt of the joke? Especially compared to the mom, or other members of the family. And on the rare occasion they do get some respect, they're complete side characters.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ls58_xyuigI
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>another steven thread

How so?

Well it applies to pic related, too.

Because women have long had the short end of the stick so now men have to deal with numerous double standards to make up for it.

Sure, men were the ones dying by the hundreds of thousands in war and men don't have to compete for the right to have kids, but society can't just say that war has been victimizing men for thousands of years because nations still need soldiers to secure their resources. So we have to ignore all the dying men have done and what is left is women sitting at home being oppressed.

Lots of countries wouldn't let woman fight in wars tho

It is politically incorrect to depict men as competent, since the reigning theory of the modern Western politico is that women are slaves to the patriarchy.

The conventional wisdom is that men are all beneficiaries of a cultural system, meaning all men all the time in every possible situation are being catered to. This is, of course, untrue, but you get shouted down regardless.

The goal of modern television executives is to "empower" a group of people who don't need it, since the crisis of personality in young girls is nonexistent. Literally every statistic available in education, depression, mental health, suicide, and poverty show men as being far worse off than their female counterparts.

Are you guys that butthurt? It's just a comedy archetype just like how the mom is usually a straight laced bore and even then the father is more likeable.

I mean there is Hank Hill and Bob Belcher who are usually the more sensible ones of their respective families, and there's also Professor Utonium.

Marceline's father is nothing like the bumbling dad archetype.

>Marceline's father is nothing like the bumbling dad archetype.
Yeah, he's the literal devil.

Totally not a negative image.

Please leave Sup Forums. Why do you even come here? It's not like you even watch this show.

>Why are most dad characters in modern cartoons the butt of the joke

Why did you use Greg as the OP picture? Guy found himself a job and grew the fuck up after he got a kid.
I mean if you think he's just a joke because he looks conventionally bad ie. balding, farmer's tan, questionable shirt choices, that's kind of dumb. He's proven he's a worthy character to have in the show.

Seems maybe you're being too judgmental.

Greg is awesome he built the house where Steve and his freeloading Crystal Gem moms love and covers their expenses, he also raised Steve during the first years of his life.

He is way more likeable and competent than Gumball's father, Peter Griffin, or modern Homer Simpson

>Totally not a negative image.
It isn't within the context what OP is trying to say. He's shown as powerful and commanding while being funny.

I didn’t say he was a good dad did I? Just that he doesn’t fit the bumbling dad archetype.

It's not really an exaggeration when my dad is almost exactly like Greg.

>Lived in his van
>Always dressed poorly
>Overweight
>Attempted to be a rockstar when he was younger
>Nicest fuckin' guy you'll ever met
>Was a blast to be around

Appreciate dads even if they're kinda buffoons.

I wouldn't consider Greg a full butt of the joke and Steven's mom is sorta fucking dead so she's not around to look as ridiculous.

Ultimately in most cases, Writers are lazy and unimaginative and copying cliches set forth by products that already worked.

eh. this trend is already reversing. thank god.

The fuck is Sup Forums about the truth? You tell me what is wrong with the post.

>Yeah, he's the literal devil.

The fact that he's the devil in Adveture Time's universe has no relation with the fact that he is a father nor a male. You're just being dumb, user.

>pic mostly unrelated

Greg is not a bumbling dad, hell he took care of Steven as a baby all on his own with no problem.

The dude also chose to live like that because he's basically a hippy even though he's rich.

They're butthurt enough to have this thread every week, probably the same tard who wines about how jocks/popular kid stereotypes and cal arts.

>get's a fat ten million from royalties
>splurges once
>buys a used car

Yeah Greg is god-tier. Literally the only thing he's done wrong in the series is lie to his son to spend more time with him.

Then how come he is still allowed to have his own show in the present day:

>guys we gotta watch out or else the electronic jew is gonna brainwash our kids

Most cartoons are comedy. Making fathers incompetent is a reversal of expectations, the opposite of most people's experience in the real world.

That and I would guess mothers have much more control over what kids watch than fathers.

>a dog
>not even on network television

Nothing about that statement seemed Sup Forums to me

Have we seen Finn's mom yet, or just his dad?

Really? Because the whole "Liberal media is trying to emasculate and bring a fall to western civilization" is Sup Forums as fuck.

It just seems like he wants dads to be written like hard workers or respectable people,
instead of fat lazy slobs.

Cause he thinks it's liberal brainwashing trying to emasculate men.

And there are!

Not really the majority

Because if the parents in the show were dependable, the main character would cling too much on them for anything, they need to be useless/dumb so the main character, usually the son/daughter can shine.

What do you want, a law that bans cartoons from having bumbling dads?

Because Al Bundy.

>strawmanning this hard
I have no idea why you would be taking this personally.

It's not uncommon for dads to be the butt of jokes, its just easier for comedy purposes. Greg maybe the butt of some jokes, but he is one of the greatest cartoon dads in animation, he's such a good role model and understanding, its so hard to get fathers truly as good as him. some other great fathers are Rodolfo Rivera (White Pantera), Lone Star, Montgomery "Monty" Uno (Numbah Zero) and Professor Utonium

>ctrl+F
>"honeymooners"
>0 results founds
I'm disappointed in you, Sup Forums.

Why are you?

>peggy hill
>loveable

Can it really be a strawman when it's basically what that user believes in? He actually thinks that some dirty liberals are trying to undermine masculinity through cartoon.

>all these stupid fucking made up explanations
>all this projection
One of these days, Sup Forums...

Bang! Zoom! To the moon!

MODS!

I'm not logical fallacies in order to """win""" an argument on the internet. The other user is.

>He actually thinks that some dirty liberals are trying to undermine masculinity through cartoon.
Lay it out for me. Where did I say anything like that or anything about Jews.

it's a comedy archetype. nothing more, nothing less.

why use Greg for this anyway?

Take a guess.

>women have long had the short end of the stick

This has no basis in reality.

You fucking leave Greg alone, that man is literally the purest character in Steven Universe. Literally did nothing wrong.

>It is politically incorrect to depict men as competent

Based on the fact that you used Greg, there's 2 reasons why you'd think this.
1) You have never watched this show and assume the worst based off his design.
2) You assume anyone who doesn't fit the strict mold of father who wears a suit and is cold and unfeeling must be a butt of a joke.

>hard workers
>respectable people

sounds a lot like greg. SU confirmed to be redpilled as fuck.

>greentexts something I never said as proof you aren't strawmanning
So this is you admitting that you are strawmanning while trying to save face?

And you aren't counting women's suffrage why?

Dear god the oppression of not letting women die in battle. How could we be so evil?

I didn’t even being up Sup Forums, the other user did, wtf are you on about besides being assblasted.

Get your eyes checked, user. I linked to two posts. Not every word I stated in that one post need apply to you.

hi, just back from being banned

The user below probably isn't you, but they are evidence that it's not exactly a strawman.

Because You forgot Connie's parents OP.

>Attempted to be a rockstar when he was younger
But he WAS a rock star.

Women need to be "empowered" because what they really want is to be indulged.

Men are the ones... who indulge.

What I like about Steven universe is that Greg is the most down to earth person and the wisest out of all the characters. He doesn't even need much and doesn't indulge in hedonism, he just makes sure steven is fed and alright.

He was meant to throw people off and think "oh it's another Mr turner/Peter Griffin/homer"
But watch the show and he restores faith that there are still people that respect their dads out their and it gets me all warn inside.

Greg is the best character on the show

Both of these. But please, OP. Tell us more about how persecuted you are.

Pic unrelated.

The fact that idiots exist doesn't mean you can shove idiotic opinions into my mouth to claim I'm wrong.

>pic unrelated.

Greg is the best character in that shit show and anyone who disagrees has 0 taste.

I'm OP

Why don't you calm down nigga, you might pop a blood vessel thinking of every post like that

Moms just aren't thought to have the potential to be funny in our society.

Greg gets a lot of respect for being as doofy as he is btw. His words and decisions do usually matter. People just get immensely triggered because he's chosen to take a backseat to Steven's primary caretakers.

So you wait helplessly at home until the male soldiers come to rape you and kill your children. Sweet!

Because steven universe isn't allowed to have strong male role models.

They didn't want to make his dad a scumbag either.

So, only choice left is to make him a decent single dad who's barely in the show sometimes.

He's one. charming motherfucker, and he knows what he wants and how to get it. Isn't that what you people like to see in a man?

The epidemic of bad fathers in Adventure Time is really interesting though. It's reflected in Finn, the self-insert for the male writers. No good male role model so he's very poorly adjusted, destroyed by his own masculinity/confused sexuality.

So explain to me why that is worse than what happened to the husband that died in battle.

Because if a parent isn't dead they have to either be neglectful, overbearing, stupid, or in some way flawed to make their child superior to them and unable to confide in or depend on them to solve their problems for them.

Can't have a kid saving the universe if their parents can actually think straight and do it themselves for their kids. And kids don't want to see a cartoon where parents save the day while their fellow kid is useless.

It's all about addressing why the kid can't rely on an adult to help them, and making adults stupid and quirky adds to the humor at their expense.

they at least get to fight their enemies.

This is actually a decent response to this thread.

This. This bumbling dad stereotype merely shows how men are still secure at the top of the pyramid. The idea of a weak, useless man makes a good joke because many consider it absurd. It's not some conspiracy of women trying to keep men down. Television writers are not women.

wat

>Any negative characters trait that is affixed to somebody of a certain gender is an attack at that gender.

This place shit talks Tumblr when it's basically the dude version of it.

user women were property for thousands of years and remain so to this day in some countries.

Don't be dense. The stupid deadbeat husband and the intelligent wife is a full on trope.

They're all coping the Simpsons.

>Because women have long had the short end of the stick so now men have to deal with numerous double standards to make up for it.
Dads have been bumbling idiots on TV for about 40 years. This is not new. In fact the only real trope breaker right now is Bob's Burgers. Bob is way more down to earth than Linda, but nobody takes him seriously anyway.

>be laidback hippie guy who doesn't want much responsibility
>get saddled with kid
>take good care of kid
>kid develops superpowers
>watch over him forever despite constant tension with the gems
>not a strong male role model
Bitch raisin yo kids ain't easy.

We really need to invent a meme-phrase for asstrolls who pretend to be even more dense than they already are.

Just how big of a Simpsons fan is sugar anyway?
>Her "Don't cry for me, I'm Already Dead" comic
>"Do it for her."
>Peridot's insult of choice being "You clod!"
youtube.com/watch?v=ls58_xyuigI

Because men can take it

I think she's of the age where she would have grown up with The Simpsons.
They premiered on Christmas 1990, and back then they were the big cultural touchstone for that generation of kids.

Favorite dad characters in cartoons? Because Greg is probably my #1.

>I wish Peggy Hill was the star of every show
>t. OP

Confirmed for never watching the show
>Cucked Pearl out of an alien goddess
>Made an honest living to take care of his son before he got his royalty check from Marty
>Is a really nice guy

Just because he looks like your run of the mill dopey dad doesn't mean he is.

(You)

The vast, vast majority of women don't meet the physical standards for the army.

I blame Simpsons for starting it and Family Guy for making the tumor malignant.

Men are almost always the focal point of any for of media and has over saturated the market with the Gruff McDad character being so overplayed people want more. So please find some forgiveness in your heart if only 99.8% of dad are seen as good instead of 100% /s

Punching women makes you a real man
Plus you get a free ipod!