Who else here is deceived by how bland and generic this turned out to be ?

Who else here is deceived by how bland and generic this turned out to be ?

That goes for 99% of Rebirth DESU

Wait a Nightwing book is bland and generic? What a shock

Sounds like a Nightwing book to me. Not sure what you were expecting.

at least I'm happy about how much wonder woman stands out

it's boring as fuck

Rebirth's only good titles are Green Arrow, New Super-Man and Red Hood

You're talking about the latest moon knight series, right?

Green Arrow has alright art but the writing is cheesy bordering with shit. I'm talking about dialogue; I dropped it after #1 so can't say for the plot

..... I dig it
but I liked pre-Rebirth Percy's writing too
Wonder Woman has been a bore
Rucka lost his magic

The new Aquaman series is great.

The new Nightwing is fantastic, what the fuck are you talking about? I say that as someone who was never into Dixon's run.

Yeah, it stands out as the most decompressed ongoing
Sharp's storyline has 3 issues but could've been one and a half or two issues instead

>uninteresting main character
>same old shitty story you read a thousand times
>fantastic

being decompressed doesn't mean that it's bad, there's a difference between decompressing a story to gain time and fill issues easily (like Bendis can do) but in wonder woman's case it's just Rucka taking his time to give the best he has in his characterisation of the characters, their relations, the world that surrounds them
to me, his writing is at his peak
it's the only thing ever that I read of him tho lol

Seeley is literally shitting on the idea of "classic" Nightwing though and in the process of fixing it.

Say you don't like the execution if you want but this hasn't been done before like this.

>Red Hood
lol no generic "batdad and son" cuddle moments does not make a book good

It's not, it's one of the better Rebirth books so far. Hal Jordan, Red Hood, Justice League, Green Lanterns, Action Comics, now THOSE are bland and generic

>..... I dig it
>but I liked pre-Rebirth Percy's writing too
I tried his first run when he came on (and it seemed like a creepy supernatural story) and dropped it when it turned into a really ham-fisted bit about "drones."

This second run I really liked the Rebirth issue (which was fun) and the first issue ... but it's taken a sharp turn into Nightmare Fuel territory with the people having their skin boiled off and and shit.

That'd be fine in Hellblazer or even Batman but it's a bit jarring from the first two issues of Not-Robin Hood. I'm also not thrilled with the fact that what I thought was going to be a Street Level title already has him going up against an international horrorshow conspiracy ... I mean: how in the shit is he going to punch and trick arrow a GLOBAL NETWORK OF EVIL BANKERS??

And, going back to the "drones killing the homeless" now we have Evil Bankers that are literally skinning the poor and homeless ffs.

Subtle Mr Percy is not.

none of those apply to Rebirth Nightwing, though

I'm just sad that we didn't a new series to celebrate Dick's sexyness without the shitty artificial art Grayson art and with the costume back to squeeze his ass more
Also he just appears to be a boring guy with uninteresting and basic personnality

>Justice League, Green Lanterns, Action Comics, now THOSE are bland and generic
Green Lanterns is actually really good (*amazingly* good given that it's written by Dogfucker); but the other two are pretty weak, I grant you.

Not-Terminator sucking out the souls of Krypton was not exactly what I was looking for in my second Superman title; and JL is just as bad as Hitch's JLA was. Hard pass.

The art in Green Arrow is great, but the writing is so pretentiously bad, like the writer is jerking himself off at writing dialogue like "objectify me and you will bleed, for i am a weapon" and thinking that he's writing some deep political allegory, when all he's really doing is just writing a run-of-the-mill cape story with evil bankers in place of any villain organization

He was expecting fag fap material written by hacky spies.

He'll be sexier in the To issues. I don't think it has done all that much with characterization though beyond the Rebirth issue kind of recapping the "I go through a lot of identities" thing.

It needs more Midnighter and less Batgirl.

Of course it's generic. It's Nightwing. The only time Dick Grayson can carry a story is when he's a super spy or maybe in the Teen Titans.

Picked it up because Sup Forums said it was good. Won't make that mistake again.

That said, Green Arrow is far worse.

decompressed is fine if you can make each issue stand out. WW #1 and #3 have been very notable in providing atmosphere and characterization

for bad examples of decompression, just look at geoff johns's darkseid war. two-thirds of it was just characters standing around and wonder woman talking about how she's daughter of the amazons, while giant laser beams are going off

>trusting the /co hivemind
We've all been there, mang.

Sup Forums hivemind also thinks the green arrow, red hood, and green lanterns are good comics

>That said, Green Arrow is far worse.
Fucking tell me about it. It's the same thing as Lemire's run except it sucks and is incredibly stupid at points. I think people praise it so much because they missed Green Arrow/Black Canary and are ignoring the glaringly stupid stuff.

>Sup Forums hivemind also thinks the green arrow, red hood, and green lanterns are good comics
Well, to be fair, Green Arrow had one of the best Rebirth issues of the lot (most of them were mediocre to bad exposition dumps). And it's still one of the PRETTIEST (shame about the writing).

Green Lanterns is fun but I think most people were just expecting Starlord tier faggotry from Dogfucker and when your expectations are THAT LOW ...

Same for Red Hood: the Rebirth issue didn't suck, which sounds like damning with faint praise unless you've read pretty much *anything* that Lobdell's written since Nu52 launched.

I'd say trade wait the lot of them. I'm only really digging this deep into Rebirth because I'm normally more of a MarvelFag but CWII sucks (and is fucking up quite a bit of their line) and Xmen vs Inhumans is just going to be an abomination so I'm wanting to shift my reading over and avoid it as best I can.

The Green Arrow/Black Canary stuff is so badly done, too. They meet, they have a hookup, and suddenly they're longing for each other.

Yeah, Rebirth kind of proved that Tom King was the better half of Grayson. Batman has been getting better with each issue while Nightwing is just completely uninteresting.

Being mediocre instead of terrible shouldn't be worthy of praise. Green Lanterns has so much awkward narration, and most of it is just restating that Simon gets discriminated against, or Jessica suffers from agoraphobia. Red Hood Rebirth was relatively uncringey because much of it was just Lobdell rehashing an origin story that's been done before, and even then, he still does a lot of telling instead of showing. The preview for #1 looks pretty bad, though.

And I think most of Rebirth has been solid

>They meet, they have a hookup, and suddenly they're longing for each other.
I thought that the idea was more that there was an echo of pre-nu52? Like when they meet they suddenly realize that there was something missing all along?

I can see where that might come across as contrived ... but you can't really blame the current writer for doing what the Editorially Mandated overarching theme for the whole relaunch is; which, in this case, is: the fans liked GA and BC together and so we'll put GA and BC back like they were.

>Batman has been getting better with each issue
I dunno. I really liked the backstory with the Gothams in #3; but #4 was all over the place. Like: I literally stopped a few pages in and went back and re-read #3 because I felt like I'd skipped an issue. It's like the opposite of Wonder Woman where you just want him to GET TO THE FUCKING POINT ALREADY! I wish he'd slow down a bit and let this thing breath.

There are better ways of doing that, though. You can still have them work together, and build up sexual tension slowly, instead of having them declare how they need each other.

>Rucka taking his time to give the best he has in his characterisation
Nice words but it's literally "six pages of walking in a forest", "five pages of calling Cheetah" - there's zero charater in there so far.

Nah, GLs is ok.....but maybe you want another round of post-Johns GL crappiness.

It's about mediocre and bland as the venditti run...

GLs is mediocre, in writing AND art

The only reason why Sup Forums likes it is because it isn't a miserable slog like the last couple years of GL books have been

#4 seemed like King wrote a 24 page story and had to cut it down, there were a few leaps in logic

I think his first issue was still the best. It was perfectly paced, and delivered a cohesive theme all throughout without being too on-the-nose.

>Nice words but it's literally "six pages of walking in a forest"
Right?? There's like 8 panels spread over 3 pages in the first issue, ffs!

>loves Rebirth
>thinks every book is generic, decompressed, or average

Sup Forums

what about titans?

i wasn't interested in how it had to spend like 98% of its first book wrapping up the rest of grayson

i want nightwing. not spydick

fuck that, I don't like it
you know how every lantern corp versus lantern corp battle ends?

except for the big one, they all become friends and walk away

give me some real fucking villains! I'm tired of this "we have to figh another green lantern! now we have to fight a red lantern! but it was really just a misunderstanding and we hae to go back and fight that green lantern again! turns out we didn't have to fight him and he agreed what he was doing was bad story over"

fucking most powerful weapons in the universe on their fucking finger, they refuse to fucking kill and can't keep a fucking villain worth a damn

I know johns likes to jack off all over his precious OCs but you done fucked up when you make shits like larfleeze and the entire red and yellow corps antiheroes

WE GET IT! SOMETHING BAD HAPPENED TO THEM!

That doesn't mean it's OKAY for them to go around fucking up the universe.

And it makes even LESS sense that a hate monster named Atrocitus from space sector 666 and leader of an entire army of angry motherfuckers with, also, the most powerful weapons in the universe, and he just wants to keep them at home and make sure anger doesn't dissipate in the universe.

GO AND DO SOMETHING EVIL YOU PRICK!

Every other storyline with the Yellow and Red Lanterns is "uh oh, even though I'm an evil asshole, I can't believe one of my evil minions would DARE do something evil! I better pull on their leash but not too hard because we can't kill anyone off and story is over"

FUCKING DO SOMETHING

Not that guy, but story is just fine so far, pandering is set to maximum overdrive, Booth's art is still awful

If Booth weren't the artist I'd give it an 8/10 for just those two issues

Rebirth issue was great and heartwarming, and even Booth's art was solid. First actual issue was all over the place, and Booth went full-Booth. The story hasn't really taken off yet

>GO AND DO SOMETHING EVIL YOU PRICK!
Like, say, plant a Helltower on Earth?

probably has the worst art in Rebirth

Aquaman can barely hang onto a single artist.
Also, Batgirl and the Birds of Prey

>Also he just appears to be a boring guy with uninteresting and basic personnality

Jason Todd fan I take it?

No
That's not evil
the dude is fucking looking for a new home
and you know how it's going to end?
the green lanterns are going to direct them to an uninhabited planet, forgive them, and let them go

jason todd fans have been rather salty towards pretty much every other member of the batfamily

Tom King had better execution but Seeley brought in more of the fun and creativity that I really liked in Grayson. Unfortunately, making Seeley play within the Nightwing status quo really cripples his strengths as a writer. The series might improve the further we get into Rebirth and away from the initial goal of attracting readers by returning characters to when they were most "iconic."

The current Nightwing series really has very little in common with older Nightwing stuff, outside of the costume. There's already some of the campy horror stuff that Seeley uses, and we know that a lot of the Spyral/God Garden stuff is still in play. Raptor is interesting as he has just enough self-awareness to know that he's in a superhero universe, and uses that to his advantage (branding, etc)

Eh so far it feels like Grayson except with the court instead of Spyral and more Dickbabs. Raptor is essentially the Tiger of the story.

Raptor is a better character than Tiger already. Tiger was mainly there for the buddy comedy dynamic. Raptor seems like he'll be more plot relevant

Parliament of Owls is less interesting than Spyral, but it doesn't look like they'll be around for long

>Batman has been getting better with each issue while Nightwing is just completely uninteresting.
So much wrong

Batman has been a bit better, but Nightwing is good, too. They're very different, though.

I wonder who the slaty one here...

It isn't really bad, but it didn't impressive me enough to pick it up tho.

>but I liked pre-Rebirth Percy's writing too

Am I the only one who feels like DCYou Percy is a different writer from Rebirth Percy?

I like both Green Arrow series well enough (not knock-my-socks-off, but both were in my top three DC titles of their publication times), but one thing that drew me to his Green Arrow prior to Rebirth was his idiosyncratic prose and unique writing voice. The inner monologues of Ollie were pretty well-written.

Flash-forward to the current books, and you have that awkward thing where characters explain things that other characters know to them for reader benefit.

On the one hand, I like how the Rebirth stuff is bringing back Green Arrow classic, what with the activism and goatee and Black Canary and losing his fortune and all, but on the other hand, the pre-Rebirth stuff was just plain written better, imo.

I love most of Rebirth and I'm a little disappointed so far that Nightwing is kinda wack.

I'm extremely disappointed by Flash, rest seems alright so far.

it's true but most people didn't respond to it and Percy has a variety of writing styles
I've read a few of his actual novels
I think he's just adapting for the perceived audience with heavy editorial mandate although its unlike him to conform to authority and critics. He seems like a solid dude, very different from most other comic book writers.

The only comic with Jason todd that I read was for the man who had everything

It's only had the Rebirth issue - which was more like a recap like most Rebirth issues, I'm starting to understand why they aren't part of the actual numbering for the series - and two issues. There is a lot of stuff from Grayson I'm missing, but I wouldn't say it's bland or bad. It's still a good book so far in my mind, and I'm looking forward to more.

You have shit taste. Maybe Squirrel Girl or Gwenpool is more your type of thing thing?

OP here, never read those ones but they look awful

They're like two fucking issues in.
How about you at least wait for the arc to end?

He is Jasonfrag.

Squirrel Girl is shit but Gwenpool is great
you're a dumb dumb who hates fun

Jason Todd cancer fans urg.

>OP is jasonfrag .

I said it earlier the only comic with Jason todd in it that I read was for the man who has everything

It's the best rebirth book, nigger. The second issue was fucking great. It's just Grayson without the fan service. The second issue was better than every Grayson issue Seeley wrote.

Why so ?

Why what?

How is it good ?

If your idea of 'fun' is giving a meme character a full comic book for no reason other than lol SO RANDUMB.

>#2 is the best issue out of rebirth
>It's the same plot Seeley wanted for Grayson
>Like I said, the last issue was better than every Seeley written Grayson issue.

Kinda?
I don't judge stories until I read them. Give the book a chance, you might like them. It's actually really enjoyable and arguably a top 3 book Marvel is publishing right now. I like creative stories and Gwenpool is genuinely fun.

I've read Gwenpool, m8.

New Super-Man #2 is better

and you don't think it's fun with fresh writing?

>Red Hood
Literally kill yourself for having such objectively shit taste, faggot.

No, it think they, once again, too a literal meme Gwen Stacy, slapped her in a book that's basically just Deadpool with gurlz and slapped as many memes as possible in the writing.

The art's nice, though.

Haven't read it yet. Even if it is, Nightwing #2 was still a great issue.

She's not even Gwen Stacy user, idk if you read it....

ok desusenpai, I heartchu too

the storytime is up now, go check it out! but Nightwing was good but not great or close to exceptional

Dude, she was originally just a variant cover of Gwen Stacy being reimagined as different characters. Her cover was Gwen as Deadpool.

Gwenpool. It shouldn't be hard to grasp.

but her character in her story is named Gwen Poole...

Yeah, I'm just saying considering her already bland copycat origins her book doesn't really go beyond that. It's just Deadpool but with a trendy girl.

Some of her dialogue is downright cringy, like when she literally says a reaction gif outloud in issue 4.

It's like Deadpool by name and costume alone. I guess because they're both primarily comedy books? I laughed multiple times with each respective issue and have become invested in her story of a scared girl who's completely out of her league, relying on luck and her knowledge acquired from being a comic book nerd.

Being ironic and self aware doesn't make it funny or entertaining to me.

But fair enough dude, you have a right to your opinion.

You may not like it, but how is this generic but Grayson is not, if it ha the exact same story? It's nothing like Nightwing's previous status quo. It even had Seeley making fun of the previous status quo.

>Liking Red Hood and Memepool
Opinion discarded

The last Red Hood is over hyped, yeah the daddybats bit was 10/10 but the present day stuff dragged it down as usual.

Nightwing is well written for once, but it felt bland after Grayson, and I could not possibly give less of a shit about the ancient worldwide conspiracy of the CoO wanting to turn Greece into a slave state, so I didn't really care for it either.