Dunkirk Thread

Just a thread to actually discuss Dunkirk

What did you think about the sound design?
Did Harry Styles do a good job with his role?
Were the 3 stories annoying or a nice change of pace?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3xHkBRtVNE0
youtube.com/watch?v=QijbOCvunfU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Am I the only one blown away by how well Styles acted? I'm very very surprised. He did a great job.

The other 15 threads in the past 24 hours weren't enough? Can the shills at least use a different image.

he was pretty solid t b h
the main boy was really cute as well

Amazing feat of cinematography.

Sound design was amazing, movie really should be experienced in a theater. The sounds of the Stukka's bomb runs were especially terrifying and gave me chills.

Only critique was I couldn't understand half the dialogue because British and background noise.

Which one was Styles?

I wasn't blown away, but I was pleasantly surprised. He was fine.

Fucking magnificent film. The score especially was spectacular.

>yfw the ticking starts

> celebrating a retreat that was only made possible by Hitlers orders to not cross the canal linie when guderians tanks were already on top of the britbongs assholes

I just got to Sup Forums after seeing it, and there is only this thread and the one complaining about the french

Whats the point of having Ceiling Murphy's character being the shell shocked sailor? An excuse the put another movie star's name on the poster?! Sad!

I went in expecting nothing so yes, I was a bit amazed at how well he did. I still liked tommy (the first dude/main guy) a lot more though, I felt he accurately conveyed that sense of desperation and I was legit rooting for him to gtfo of there asap.
sound design was stellar, especially gun sounds. I saw it in IMAX and the experience was pummeling for everyone in the theater. I looked at people around a few times and they were shocked and no one said a goddamn word throughout, all of them also stopped eating their popcorn/snacks too. The movie was relentless.

ANOTHER SHILL THREAD
NOLAN IS SUCH A HACK HE HAS TO HIRE POO IN LOO TO MARKET HIS MOVIE ON INTERNET MESSAGE BOARD
FUCKING SAGE

ANOTHER REDDIT FAGGOT
CHILDREN ARE NOT ALLOWED ON Sup Forums YOU HAVE TO BE OVER 18 TO POST HERE
FUCKING KYS

Saw a thread exposing the shills deleted instantly yesterday

But a thread full of Chloe moretz photoshops got 300 replies

was kino

my main complaints were its lack of historical accuracy, but whatever, i'll take well executed non accurate WW2 kino over capeshit or other hollywood garbage anyday

in what way/ways was it historically innacurate?

military ships did the vast majority of the evacuation, though the involvement of the civilian ships did help and was inspirational after the fact.

and afaik u-boats weren't involved in dunkirk, it was mostly the luftwaffe that was a menace

Man hires actor, actor portrays character, character appears in scenes - ACTING. Many such cases!

>mfw pajeet does it for 2 cents a post

but they did show and even discussed this in the movie, that dude talking to the commander guy says they need destroyers not some fucking peasant boats and the commander says the fishing boats will help get the soldiers from shallow waters to the destroyers.
They literally did get away on military ships, the fishing boats acted just as a short-distance transport from the beach to the military ships.

I feel that they address a lot of things in the movie, including the french, but a lot of people somehow miss it. Might be because of the sound covering the dialogue for english speakers, but I had subtitles and I felt that everything was accurately portrayed.

couple of things

pros
>Nolan has a tendency to intertwine his movies in confusing plots and twistes that over complicates the simple ideas he's trying to convey (Inception was done in a fucking disney cartoon for gods sake), so a grounded historical drama was a very nice change of phase
>Fionn Whitehead(tommy) and his relationship to Damien Bonnard (french soldier) was great
>The soldiers actually looked like and acted like 18-21 something 'boys' would act
>Captured the Dunkirk "S p i r i t " extremly well
>Amazing sound
>good use of special effects and props etc.
>didn't see german
>actually showed tough and BATTLE hardend french soldiers in the beginning
>Actually showed that they just had to try and surivive
>FuCKING HARRY STYLES
>No main character

cons
>Well even in a historical drama he had to 'Nolan' it up with the timeline. I found it to be okay and i don't really mind that the split it up that much, just make it a bit clearer from the beginning so you don't have to sit and wonder what the fuck is going on for the first hal and hour. Yes, yes rewatches, but for me the first time watching a movie is what matters the most and it kinda took me out of the experience. Must have been hell for the normies.
>Lack of consistency in the scenes and the action(another huge problem for Nolan), and i don't mean in a good "war is disorienting way" but shit like a bomb going off right next the main character and people die, then as the camera moves back in the next scene there's no crater or dead bodies
>Some very poor reaction shots from some soldiers
>The opening scene was great and i get that i wanted to put us right in the movie, but the way it was shot made it feel like someone just said "ACTION" half a mili second ago, like they were standing still and then they started acting/moving around

cant be bothered to write more, decent movie. 7-8/10.

they were talking about the short range ferrying but the naval commander said they had only sent 1 destroyer. the destroyers/mine sweepers that i saw all got killed and the civilian boats saved the day and ended up carrying soldiers all the way back to england.

the french thing is true they did address the main points even if they didnt do it beat by beat. the french held the line for the brits as was shown by the french behind the sandbags at the beginning and there were fights between the british and french over the last ship which was shown in that target practice boat.

Christopher Nolan and Peter Travers talk about Dunkirk:

youtube.com/watch?v=3xHkBRtVNE0

I hated this movie

>1 hour 45 of fillers
>Amazing feat of cinematography.
What did he lean by this ?

He is poo in loo and has to feed his poor mama.

Relentlessly boring.
I can't believe you could shill this hard without getting paid for it.

>change of phase
Stopped reading here.

Ok, is just me or there are a couple of flashbacks in the film? I think Cillian Murphy was in one of the boats at the night scene and Tom Hardy watches the guys leaving the little boat before...dont know if i explained myself

POO

So guys
which was the more realistic beach scene?

Nolans: where the soldiers do fuck all day and is just standing in line waiting for the ships for a fucking week? Hardly no military equipment. Hardly no reactions from the crowd beside dodging planebombs
>pic related

Or
This 5min tracking shot on dunkirk from the moive attonement.
Where we see the chaos that spawns with having +300k men waiting for either death, salvation, combat or surrender.
a scene that shows the grit that is war. That captivates all these diffrent emotions and reactions.
>vid related
youtube.com/watch?v=QijbOCvunfU

so I can't have an opinion on a movie now because I'll be called a shill? are you mentally retarded? get out of the fucking house every once in a while you stupid fuck.

Holy shit, that was a great scene. I agree that Dunkirk felt really empty, they kept bringing up the "more like 400,000 soldiers" bit, but the few lines of men standing on the beach didnt look anything like that.

>different emotions
it's a played out overly dramatic scene
>muh emotions
>muh tears
>muh various things happening

those soldiers were literally just beaten the fuck out and are waiting to get the fuck out of there before they are fucking murdered by the encroaching enemy. Nolan captured the feeling of absolute dread far better than these fucking soap opera directors who's only understanding of war and fear is a saving private ryan rip off of soap-opera over-acting and unnecessary drama.

That wasn't necessarily a flashback--that was following the "week" long timeline