/doag/

Last minute thread since last one is about to hit bump limit

Dorothy makes everything worse

Patreanon please post here if you grace us with your presence!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=oxKCPjcvbys
doa-edits.tumblr.com/post/148676701862/so-doag-shitposting-eventually-lead-to-what-has
dumbingofage.com/2013/comic/book-3/04-just-hangin-out-with-my-family/areligious/
joyceandwalky.com/members/200508octbargein.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200509freeload.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200510pluto.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200511rockthisplace.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200512honorroll.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200601dorothy.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200602flattered.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200603alternate.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200604bedside.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200605arm.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200606exercise.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200607marry.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200608danny.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200609search.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200610molehill.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200611rosenthal.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200612distractions.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200701baldy.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200702leave.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200703ponies.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200704reunion.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200705kids.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200706david.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200707worry.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200708wham.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200709birth.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200710dining.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200711fall.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200712yule.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200801movingon.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200802speedyhitched.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200803fisticuffs.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200804showers.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200805iscanbemarriage.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200806studentteaching.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200807marcie.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200808dropit.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200809vows.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200810fonts.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200811missing.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200812themom.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200901chopper.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200902brockosmodernlife.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200903parents.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200904vendetta.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200905transplant.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200906dead.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200908thedayof.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200909stranded.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200910hiya.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200912voices.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/201001fightfightfight.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/201003flyaway.html
itswalky.com/members/theend.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

another uneventful day i bet

Gotcha. I'll post the strip as soon as it gets uploaded, but Willis is "gonna be in the mountain timezone for the next week, dunno if that'll fuss with my patreon update times, but we'll see."

So, uh, who knows when it'll actually go up. Can't set up a buffer for patreon like he does for the site, I guess. Sorry that's not a more interesting post. Here's the most recent patreon bonus strip to make up for it.

it shouldn't affect the upload time since he set up the patreon release months ago along with his own site but who knows.

Thanks a lot patreanon!

Y'know, if Walky had a YouTube channel, he'd be in damn near every cringe compilation out there.

Okay, seriously why are so many strips about fucking cereal in college and how you can eat all you want of it.

There's this one, a good third of Dina's is about how all she eats is cereal. Is this a thing Willis did for his one year of college and he thinks it's universal???

I'm seen people like Walky in real life. Most annoying people I have ever seen. Gives me homicidal urges.

My college's dining hall has a variety of cereal dispensers.
I guess it was a defining moment in Willis' life when he could eat any cereal he wanted without having to pay for it himself.

Patreanon here. Willis is up in the mountains and apparently that affects the fucking Patreon as well, so we may not get that new strip for another hour.

I'm probably dumb, but I don't get this one. Is the end of this strip him being disgusted by the cereal, or making a face at Dorothy? I'm guessing it's the former but it's so low impact either way that I can't grasp it. (I mean I guess he's kinda putting his dish away, but he's not like emptying in the garbage or anything).

youtube.com/watch?v=oxKCPjcvbys

that's weird.

Why is the Patreon tied to his time zone?

Wait, does he manually release the strip every night at exactly midnight? What the fuck?

There's always been (at least) two! I tend to use more exclamation marks. That's one of the ways you can tell the difference.

The regular strip goes up automagically on the website, but I guess Patreon doesn't have the backend tools for that.

Update: I made my first comment on the DOA website at 1 40 AM last night and Willis still hasn't decided if I'm banned or if he'll let the comment go through

Yes, I think he does. Because unlike on his website the Patreon one isn't automatic.

I like how the idea never crossed Willis' mind to just post the strip at 10 pm where he's at so that it's post at Midnight EST

Too much effort.

Patreanon here to-
WHAT!?!

I dont understand

>Adult

does Walky not realize that Ruth is only a year older than him?

Also, the whole thesis of DOA is that adults always make things worse so you should kill your parents.

Fuck off Walky

this may be the dumbest, most unaware sequence of panels i've ever fucking read anywhere

What a clusterfuck of a strip.

I'm having trouble knowing how I'm supposed to feel about this.

I don't either man! Is Walky supposed to be taken seriously because he pointed out the obvious, or are we supposed to disagree with him because he said something mean about lesbians!?

I don't think he should draw Joyce's head at that angle.

>Walky treating them as people and judging them based on regular expectations
>Joyce only being a cheerleader to them assuage her own guilt. Not treating them as regular people.
What's next, is Walky going to call Carla a stupid fuckface and earn the ire of the comments?

We can only hope.

On a side note, I'm still mad we never got that downhill revenge skate race between Mary and Carla.

I'm firmly convinced Willis dropped that plotline.

>does Walky not realize that Ruth is only a year older than him?

Does Walky not realize *he* is technically an adult?

Walky is 18.

Legally an adult, but still considered a teenager by most of the world.

Being 18 does not make you a full adult. You're just a kid with a little more privileges and responsibilities.

I honestly think Willis big arc for Walky is for him to realize he's not a kid anymore and grow up a little bit and take responsibility.

This will probably finally happen in 2046 but I think that's the plan. Maybe it'll be like how Ethan's toy hoarding story arc ended where it wasn't a big deal

Probably.

I'm sure it'll come back again in a year or two.

>Ethan's toy hoarding arc
That was such fucking bullshit. If Willis didn't wanna' hear the truth he shouldn't have made a fucking comic arc about his obsession.

That arc bothered me so much. Ethan clearly had a problem. He spent all his money on bullshit and partner at the time said "look, you need to stop this." And he did it pretty gently.
But he's a jerk and Ethan is the hero, right?

I fucking hated that because Willis was clearly setting them both up to be a bit in the wrong and then he tanked Drew because the commentors took his side.

As a toy collector I can agree some of them were being douches, but a lot of them were right. Especially the ones that said the second you start paying for a storage location just for your toys you're lost to the addiction.

I remember Willis took that comment especially hard.

>does Walky not realize that Ruth is only a year older than him?
>Does Walky not realize *he* is technically an adult?
I think he's just being a little shit who wants to be babysat by the R.A, although he's right about Ruth being a complete burden on everyone else.

I also didn't get the last bubble, what nuance? It doesn't really make too much sense, so I'm assuming Willis is making a dig at somebody who used that word in an argument against him before.

>I also didn't get the last bubble, what nuance?
Joyce has gone from wanting gays to stop to cheering them on regardless of circumstance. She is not showing nuance with how she's treating them as people.

>I want to congratulate the lesbians for being lesbians

Why is Willis such a fucking bigot? You don't celebrate people being gay for the sake of being gay.

>You don't celebrate people being gay for the sake of being gay.
Yes you can in the current year.

Of course you do user its current year.
Also thats what pride is for

Enough people got weird about cereal for it to be noticeable back when I was a freshman. I think it's a low-key boundary thing. There were plenty more that acted like Dorothy though.

All you have to do is add quotations around "the adult," and remove the second speech bubble in panel four and the strip makes perfect sense.

>Fuck you, Carla, fuck you. No one wants you around, no one cares about you. And it's not because you're trans, it's because you're a goddamned bitch who can't go longer than five seconds without shining her ass to everyone. And yes, Mary, it's "her" because I understand what politeness is and I am not a turbocunt. Back to the topic at hand. Fuck you Carla, fuck your money, fuck your parents, fuck that boring, preachy Ultra Car. Aww, are you upset? Did that trigger you? Go cry about it to mommy and daddy; maybe this time they'll scratch build you a decent personality.

B-but he makes these comics MONTHS in advance!
How can he ever go back and change them when he doesn't like what the commenters think and say?
You're talking crazy talk!

He disnt make shortpacked months in advance

Yeah his buffer for Shortpacked was like a week at most.

And he didn't change shit for Mary because he never viewed her as the sympathetic character a lot of us did. He can't do nuanced villains.

he still had a shred of caring when he was making shortpacked

He couldn't admit that he was obsessed with something because then he'd just be like his mom.

WHERE IS THE JOKE WILLIS

How about, instead of making up a stupid theme to the story that causes the first strip to show self-awareness and a slight bit of nuance nonsensical, you assume that the new strip is actually part of the theme of the story, and that "adults always make things worse so you should kill your parents" isn't the theme?

The joke is you for giving him pageviews and money.

But I didn't, I don't actually go to his site, I read what gets posted in /doag/

posting the fruits of recent user's labors: doa-edits.tumblr.com/post/148676701862/so-doag-shitposting-eventually-lead-to-what-has

also two new greentext stories from yesterday:

>ywn be working late to get some overtime cash for Joyce and the baby
>ywn get a sudden phone call from Joyce and answer it, afraid that maybe her water just broke
>ywn hear Joyce tell you that Becky needs to crash at your house again
>ywn ask Joyce if it's because she came home drunk so Dina just locked her out again
>ywn endure a tirade from Joyce about how judgemental and obnoxious you are and how you're no saint yourself inadvertently confirming that you're right
>ywn reluctantly agree to let Becky sleep over just because you know if you don't cut her off she'll accuse you of seeing Mary again
>ywn hang up and spend a good five minute staring at the ceiling wondering if it's all worth it
>ywn explain to your boss that no, everything is fine and you can still keep working even though he thinks you should probably call it a night for the sake of your own health
>ywn look back at the picture the two of you took back when you were happy and remember that maybe you can get Joyce's smile back if you just keep working harder
>ywn get back to work, focusing on your happy memories

>adults always make things worse so you should kill your parents
But it is. Every parent except dinas are awful becauae they hate their kid and try to make them do things

>ywn be Joyce
>ywn let Becky stay back at your place after she came home drunk and Dina locked her out
>ywn deliberately lock the liquor cabinet and pretend to not be able to find the key so Becky can't get in
>ywn console a visibly upset Becky as she rants about how she obviously doesn't have a drinking problem and Dina is just being all uptight and aloof again
>ywn internally debate on telling Becky that even if Dina's methods of treating it are incredibly blunt she very obviously has a drinking problem
>ywn decide not to just as Becky starts going into TMI mode, rambling about how her sex life with Dina is nonexistent and how this justifies her sleeping around
>ywn fight back the urge to tell Becky that she has a number of problems and needs to turn her life around, knowing that you'd just be like your mom which you swore to user you'd never be.
>ywn awkwardly dodge Becky's drunken advances, pointing out that you are both straight and pregnant
>ywn consider calling user for help as Becky gets even more aggressive, but decide not to when you remember that he would undoubtedly kick her out in the cold
>ywn feel the beginnings of an anxiety attack coming on and excuse yourself, only to lock yourself in the bathroom
>ywn break down crying realizing how many mistakes you've made
>ywn finally calm down and come out an hour later, only to find out that Becky has passed out on the couch
>ywn decide not to tell Becky about what she did and what it would mean to you because it would devastate you
>ywn decide not to tell user because, again, he'd flip his shit and leave Becky out in the cold
>ywn go to bed early and cry yourself to sleep, wondering why you have to deal with all of this on your own

Comic Reactions:
Panels 1 and 2: These cuties are adorable and need to be protected from all the bad in the world! So says the Mad Queen!
Panels 2 and 3: I love how they both frequently check on the other. Dorothy with making sure Joyce knows the scoop and empathizing with Joyce’s momentary discomfort at the number of times they’ve reunited in hospital waiting rooms over the last week or so. And Joyce with checking in on the fact that she’s seemingly put her homework on standstill (which usually means something major has gone down as she only usually stops doing homework and devotes her full attention during important moments or as an apology for being distant working on homework).
And Dorothy’s face, that sheer worry and confusion on how best to support, but feeling like she has to. It’s palpable. She’s definitely trying her best to do Walky right, even if she’s not always 100% comfortable in the dynamic that Walky’s boundaries set for her.
Panel 4: And on that note, I love that she nonetheless respects his boundaries, because it’s one of the few criticisms I’ve made of her behavior in this relationship. That she’s pushed against Walky’s boundaries at times because of her discomfort at being kept in the dark about what is so clearly causing him pain.
But here, she’s seemed to learn from those missteps and has decided to try and find a method for her to handle that discomfort and show her support without pushing against those boundaries he’s set about not wanting to talk about it (or even really think about it).
And it’s a tough place to be in. I know from personal experience that trying to comfort someone completely closed off and unable to talk about what’s going on can be hella alienating and involves a lot of guesswork and hope that the space given and the shows of support are enough to feel genuinely comforting and help rather than just enable dissociation.
I empathize with her strongly and am incredibly proud of her growth

Comic Reactions, That fifth panel:
Panel 5: Oof… So many feels. First up, Hank is still working through his aversion to all things atheist, which makes sense given that he was comparing her to Hitler right after the second-to-last time they met.
But the real kicker is that wobbly lined speech bubble from Dorothy and terrified expression on her face.
Receiving his and his wife’s strong disapproval in that second-to-last face-to-face meeting really has fucked her up a bit.
Because on one level it’s bigotry, the kind that actually does face atheists, especially those who live in very religious communities. And their rejection was open and brutal and to her face when she was trying her best to be nice and yeah, it really fucks with you to get an explosion of bigotry after trying to be the best version of yourself and put it forward.

But on a deeper level, it’s one on a very long line of bad interactions she’s had. Her parents implied back at Parent Night that this was a thing that happened to her a lot growing up (parents telling her to stay away from their kids because she, as a freaking child, would corrupt them) and she’s hinted that she was not one with a lot of friends growing up largely because of her religious views.
It was also something her parents believed would stop happening in college as she stared downcast at the floor:
dumbingofage.com/2013/comic/book-3/04-just-hangin-out-with-my-family/areligious/
And it’s something even more exacerbated to the point of exasperation for her owing to how hard she’s worked to support Joyce and be there for her and how aware she is that her parents could use her presence at any time to justify mistreating Joyce or angrily demanding her to cease hanging out (possibly to the extreme of taking her out of school).
And she’s been terrified of that. She hid rather than see Joyce off and tell her she’d miss her, because she didn’t want Hank to see her and negatively react again. And she tried to downplay the negative interaction where Carol blew up at her and Joyce had to yell at her parents to get them to stop being unnecessarily cruel to Dorothy. She’s also likely seen a lot of old friends stripped away from her because of that. Over and over again.

And you see it in her awkward response and fear-filled eyes. She’s terrified by this face to face meeting, by the show of empathy and human interaction she showed with Joyce. Because in Hank’s eyes, or at least the Hank she last directly encountered, she’s a thing to be tolerated at best. Some thing that has to beg for its humanity and right to interact with others.
And it’s awful seeing her so reduced, that she fears her own empathy and humanity and worries it might negatively impact her friend owing to her identity (so many feels about that in particular for very obvious reasons relating to partner’s parents’ interactions regarding their kids dating a trans person).

This is really fucking embarrassing. Are you people still in denial about being huge doa fans even though you make edits and literal self-insert fancomics about it?

Whether you “hate” the comic or not, you’re all just as fanatical as the next die-hard Willis fan. There’s no difference.

Will be be an hour in comic time

DoA Sup Forums threads are full of mega-fans.

Hide the thread and move on, autist

Yeah, I've stopped going to the site to read it. Not like the alt-text was worth going to the site for anyway.

Plus, I have multiple AdBlocks. He might occasionally get my pageviews, but he will never get ad money from me again.

joyceandwalky.com/members/200508octbargein.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200509freeload.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200510pluto.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200511rockthisplace.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200512honorroll.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200601dorothy.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200602flattered.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200603alternate.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200604bedside.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200605arm.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200606exercise.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200607marry.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200608danny.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200609search.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200610molehill.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200611rosenthal.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200612distractions.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200701baldy.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200702leave.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200703ponies.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200704reunion.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200705kids.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200706david.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200707worry.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200708wham.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200709birth.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200710dining.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200711fall.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200712yule.html

joyceandwalky.com/members/200801movingon.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200802speedyhitched.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200803fisticuffs.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200804showers.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200805iscanbemarriage.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200806studentteaching.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200807marcie.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200808dropit.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200809vows.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200810fonts.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200811missing.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200812themom.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200901chopper.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200902brockosmodernlife.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200903parents.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200904vendetta.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200905transplant.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200906dead.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200908thedayof.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200909stranded.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200910hiya.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/200912voices.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/201001fightfightfight.html
joyceandwalky.com/members/201003flyaway.html
itswalky.com/members/theend.html

Dina's parents obviously didn't socialize her well-enough.

user if you aren't airing your sick fantasies and dirty laundry in a way that makes other people scratch their heads and feel uncomfortable enough to leave, then this comic probably isn't your thing.

It's fuck/kill/marry time! Just be warned that there is only one correct answer:
Fuck: Joyce
Marry: Joyce
Kill: Joyce
If you're feeling especially dangerous, in that order.

here we go.

Am I the only one who doesn't hate Walky here.

Fuck Billie
Mary Sarah
Kill Amber (that girl is a danger to herself and others and no one's putting forth real effort to stop her yet)

So DoA is an AU of an older comic where Joyce and Walky marry right?

Wait, in the third panel Walky talks about Ruth, right ? How could he trust her when he didn't know her. And if he knew about her he knew he was considered as a bitch by everyone else. How could she help Billie ?
Also, nice sexual innuendo in the second panel.
And what the hell is going on in that last panel ?

I actually prefers when he crams stupid jokes and breaks tone all the time, compared to this mess.

And if was Joyce's father I'd prepare myself to slap that beanie cunt for talking like that to my daughter.

Or he's just not on the proper level of irony famalam

Try telling that to a judge.

Ruth was legitimately in an position of authority over Billy which complicates the power dynamics of the relationship and Walky here is acting as a mouth peice for the mangaka to address those issue with all the subtly and nuance of rebecca sugar being shot out of a chicken cannon directly into the heart of her fans.

or it's meant to be a funny awkward moment YOU FUCKING LUNATIC CERBERUS

>And if was Joyce's father I'd prepare myself to slap that beanie cunt for talking like that to my daughter.

Why? The kid is obviously talking about a toxic relationship and you daughter is saying she's inclined to support it anyway.

I think a complete lack of subtlety is called for here, even though Sugar can write a song and dance number with more subtlety than Willis could ever manage.

Oh good lord

>Walky's Carla call out
I like this a lot.

>Adult's should be the source of problems
>The moment you realize they're all in college and most likely all 18 years old, the legal ADULT age
>Willis doesn't actually believe they're adults because he's still a manchild
>mfw

Eighteen year olds are still teenagers by definition. Ruth is over 21 at least, she can legally buy alcohol.

To be fair, I'm 22 and I barely consider myself an adult in any way but legally. It's not like you can just be an immature teenager all your life and suddenly hit an epiphany at 18 and mature all at once.

Also, dont hate so much!

Fuck: Sarah
Marry: Joyce
Kill: Ruth
>mfw panels 3 & 4

>How could he trust her when he didn't know her.
Because she's the fucking RA. The idea is you're supposed to be able to trust your RA

I can't even hate DOA. It mostly just makes me sad. Especially considering the fact that I've read all of Willis' shit in high school.

my feelings for DOA are complicated.

but yes, I hate DOA.

>Mentioning Sup Forums
I'm guessing that comment got deleted

it did.

Exactly.
Willis probably has word filters for stuff he considers 'toxic'.

> Writing a thousand word essay on a girl's comic
I wanna bang Joyce and live in mutual misery but at least I'm not THAT pathetic.

Respect is a relative thing, user.
>Girl's comic
pretty sure Willis hasn't become trans yet.

that was all of 10 minutes of effort which was mostly just reminiscing about shitty life experiences, mate.

taking the time to do creative writing and draw out a comic takes far more time and effort.

mfw I can't even sue those fucks because it's been too long.

Write that shit down, people go nuts for that kind of autobiographical stuff.

I don't have the drive to write a novel and I'm only 26.

> Willie stabbing his willie
Huh? I mean the comic is filled with drama, mild fantasy and sexual exploration in a manner that appeals entirely to the emotionally unstable demographic.

You could tweak a few bits and sell it as fiction.